Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found fuel leak. Lucky no fire. Help with hoses ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:19 PM
papamojo
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Found fuel leak. Lucky no fire. Help with hoses ???

Well today after work I again tested driving my 87f250 with dual tanks. The leak I posted about started again after driving for a few minutes. I parked and let cool down and looked under truck. What I found was scary! As you remember I bought this truck with a blown muffler. It was blown on top and split in half. I drove it home 45 miles. I had muffler replaced. Then noticed fuel leak.

Well guess what I found. At first on the drivers side I looked up and could see the gas was coming from 2 hoses leading to top of front gas tank. Upon touching hoses I found that they were melted flat on top and leaking gas.

I then went to muffler side of truck to look at where they hoses connect or are supposed to connect to sending unit at top passenger side of tank. THERE WERE NO HOSES THERE! I could see they has melted off the metel pipes and only stubs of the old hoses were on pipes! This guy told me truck was safe to drive home. What I see is the muffler split being so close to the sending unit on tank must have put off enough heat to melt plastic hoses. Looks like a bad place for a sending unit in general.

Now the question. These appear to be custom hoses by Ford with connectors to the fuel regulator. Where can I get these parts. The heat also melted the shield straps on shield that blocks ujoint area. Still hangin on good. Will secure somehow.

Could have blown up. Very scarry!

I will take pics.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:15 PM
baffledinpa
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you have some work done recently on the exhaust that caused the system to be so close to the fuel lines ??

As far as the parts go, I would think that any Ford dealer would have a replacement.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:56 PM
papamojo
Freshman User
Originally Posted by baffledinpa
Did you have some work done recently on the exhaust that caused the system to be so close to the fuel lines ??

As far as the parts go, I would think that any Ford dealer would have a replacement.
Nope, In fact the new muffler I have is alittle bigger then the stock one, however he mounted it lower then stock. I would say the muffler stock is only about a foot and a half from the sending unit on the front tank.

The muffler that was stock had blown and was completely split like a tin can and exposed to under bed. It got so hot that it cooked the grease in the ujoints (had that fixed by muffler shop) You could see where the cooked grease splattered on front tank. I should have taken picture of it. All 3 feet of muffler was split open by backfire as the old guy had put on new wires and messed up firing order.

I will take a pic of muffler. Those that have this model can chime in about how close stock it is to the front tank sending unit.

Hope I can get hoses still. They are plastic and does not look like rubber gas line can be retrofited due to the custom Ford gas ends.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:55 PM
papamojo
Freshman User
Are the fuel lines even available any more?

Also, I only use truck for local use. No long runs. Really could get by with only my rear tank. Is there a way to block off fuel from trying to return to front tank on selector? Could I not get a small piece of rubber fuel line and put on selector front send and returns and also on two metel pipe fittings on tank where hose melted off of as well with a small piece of fuel hose and clamps. essentially kill the front tank?