Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch pedal to Clutch Master cylinder linkage

Old 02-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Ford Breakdown
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch pedal to Clutch Master cylinder linkage

95 F150 I6 4.9L Manual transmission.

Got a loud clunk every time I hit the clutch pedal. It's definately inside the cab. Took it to my mechanic and they wanted to put in a new master cylinder. I said hold off, since the first one lasted 8-9 years and this one's only been in 3 years.I studied the problem more closely and see that the pushrod for the master cylinder is jumping almost off the linkage that is connected to the pedal. Went to Ford agency and ordered a new bushing, but it looks like there's a lot more to that connection than the bushing they provided. Anyone ever work with this linkage? Should there be an "E" clip or something keeping the pushrod from jumping off the linkage to the pedal? Ford's diagram was inconclusive.
Would appreciate any real-world based observations or suggestions. Thanks.

Larry

Old 02-25-2008, 04:07 PM
baffledinpa
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my 96 the linkage went on both sides of the clutch pedal and had both the bushing and c-clip to hold the pin in place.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:10 PM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
That's the pedal itself...the ball on lever on the master cylinder end of the linkage does not have any clips. Just the bushing holds the master cylinder push rod in place. However, I would suggest checking the whole cross shaft for play. If the bushings on the clutch pedal cross shaft (from pedal to master cylinder lever) are worn and allow the cross shaft to move, it can wear out the small bushing on the push rod lever prematurely.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:13 PM
krol
Senior User
I had a similar problem, the pushrod would always jump off the pedal part and I would eat through those plastic bushings. I didn't have any play in the rest of the pedal assembly so I didn't know what was wrong.
My fix: I threw the plastic bushing away and made my own out of brass using a shell from one of my spent .300 win mag cartridges, its thickness is perfect and I just cut it to size. Then I measured how wide the pushrod eyelet was, put it onto the pedal part, put a washer on the side and then drilled a hole to put a pin threw (the pin I used was one from another pedal assembly and was actually used to hold the brake rod in place). Now it's got a good bushing and it won't slide around or slip off. It's been two years and no problems, no play whatsoever. I can send you pics if you would like.

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-25-2008, 07:16 PM
baffledinpa
Senior User
Unhappy

Originally Posted by EPNCSU2006
That's the pedal itself...the ball on lever on the master cylinder end of the linkage does not have any clips. Just the bushing holds the master cylinder push rod in place. However, I would suggest checking the whole cross shaft for play. If the bushings on the clutch pedal cross shaft (from pedal to master cylinder lever) are worn and allow the cross shaft to move, it can wear out the small bushing on the push rod lever prematurely.

Ahhhh, So y'all are talking about the linkage inside the clutch master cylinder itself ??
I thought he was asking about the linkage to the clutch pedal itself.
Sorry for the confusion.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:36 PM
Dan Taylor
Senior User
i curently have the same problem. tom i am making a bushing then drilling a small hole in the linkage so a pin can go through and lock it in place. and if u do replace the master clyinder the local autoparts place here sold me one for $45 all metal and the pushrod was even metal which i liked.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:19 AM
Ford Breakdown
Senior User
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. Clearly this requires a little reenforcement beyond the factory design.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Ford Breakdown
Senior User
The more I look at this, the less I like it. Went out today and kneeled in the snow to separate the linkage from the master cylinder push rod. Push rod is made of *plastic*; what a joke. Took the bushing off, and of course, it's a completely different size from the one Ford sold me. Guess it's time to start fabricating or go search for something close in McMaster-Carr.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:32 PM
qman
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Plastic pushrod!! What junk. Mine is not plastic and the Autozone replacement was also steel. Mine is a 92. Maybe they're different. I replaced one of the cross shaft bushings too because the pushrod and crosh shaft lever were both wore to hell. The cross shaft bushings are plastic too. Junk like that will be worn out in minutes. Ford can sure make some junk sometimes. What good is a "Ford Tough" truck when the plastic junk holding your clutch pedal together falls apart. I just don't get it. The worst thing about it is that the plastic bushing is $12 after market and probably $1000 at the stealership.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:48 PM
Dan Taylor
Senior User
i replaced my pushrod with a steel one too. its a 95 and for the plastic bushing i put a small ziptie over 4 clips that hold it in place and havent had a problem yet.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:42 PM
qman
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Dan Taylor
ii put a small ziptie over 4 clips that hold it in place and havent had a problem yet.
What kind of clips? I'm having a hard time picturing that. Can you post a pic?

Old 02-28-2008, 04:09 PM
Dan Taylor
Senior User
well if we are talking about the same thing the bushing that connects onto the push rod has 4 little clip things that keep it onto the linkage. the problem i had was that the bushing would just fall off the clutch linkage leaving the push rod connected to nothing. so i put a ziptie around the clutch push rod bushing over those 4 clip things to hold it in place.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:27 PM
qman
Cargo Master
Got it. I thought you added 4 clips of some type.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Ford Breakdown
Senior User
Talking

Finally found the correct bushing in one of those "Help" kits at Autozone, at the suggestion of an older thread either on this Forum or another. Six bucks and toss the other 4 bushings, but it was a 10 minute fix. Thanks everyone for your input!

Old 04-24-2010, 10:47 AM
mackdog
Senior User
Question

ive got a problem with the clutch pedal spring on my 92 F 250. The spring is actually used to make the pedal go down easier, but on my truck, the spring is broken off. its broken off where it attaches to the metal bracket under the dashboard, this bracket also serves as the mounting bracket for the brake pedal. my question is, what is this bracket called, i want to call a junk yard or a parts store and order a new one , but dont know how to describe it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch pedal to Clutch Master cylinder linkage