Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help please, my only daily driver available.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:44 PM
JasonVoliva
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need help please, my only daily driver available.

Okay, i have a 1993 F150 XLT with the 5.0 motor and the E4OD auto-transmission.(after a recent tune up plugs, wires, brakes, ect.) I am driving down the road at you know normal speeds 45 50 mph and it tends to cut out on me and surge when im maintaining a normal speed, and when im going uphill it tends to do it more. unless i give it some gas or let off it will continue. (this is in overdrive) when i take the trans out of overdrive it doesnt do it whatsoever, and everone knows that it isnt good to drive it without overdrive on unless you're towing something. But im starting to think there is something wrong with my overdrive gear. I dont understand the problem. i dont have any warning lights or anything. the motor runs strong so that isn't the case. I understand that Ford's auto-transmission displacements have some trouble. My truck has over 212, XXX...please someone give me some suggestions on what to try. the truck has had a recent tune up and everything. the motor is really strong. any suggestions? message me please
Thanks,

Jason Voliva <!-- / message -->

Old 11-23-2010, 09:30 PM
HrdDrv
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Google Windstar O/D issues, and you will find your exact situation. My missus' Windstars (3) to be exact, and other's with the electronic O/D had the same surging/rough driving untill you take off the O/D.

It was tied to the speed sensor-O/D speed controls, computer, all tied together. I can't recall the result of the one windstar, it was sold and the trans replaced...but, electronic anythings are a pain when they go up. And pricey.

Plus, I would never go back to an automatic. Too many what-if's...

Keep out of O/D whenever possible and keep the speed moderate. Having that extra 'gear' with all it's issues isn't worth the money to fix it.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:10 PM
JasonVoliva
Freshman User
I understand that if i keep it out of overdrive and drive it it will be fine, only for a little while, it burns way to much gas out of overdrive becuase its a 3speed with the fourth being the overdrive.
Originally Posted by HrdDrv
Google Windstar O/D issues, and you will find your exact situation. My missus' Windstars (3) to be exact, and other's with the electronic O/D had the same surging/rough driving untill you take off the O/D.

It was tied to the speed sensor-O/D speed controls, computer, all tied together. I can't recall the result of the one windstar, it was sold and the trans replaced...but, electronic anythings are a pain when they go up. And pricey.

Plus, I would never go back to an automatic. Too many what-if's...

Keep out of O/D whenever possible and keep the speed moderate. Having that extra 'gear' with all it's issues isn't worth the money to fix it.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:12 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Doubt at this point there is any thing wrong with the trans, likely an electrical issue of some kind. Faulty TPS, MLPS, VSS or PSOM come to mind for example, could be as simple as a damaged wire or bad connection somewhere in the harness.

Might be fuel pressure related. 93 5.0, is that one mass air? If so simply cleaning the sensor might correct the surge problem.

When you say "cutting out", what exactly do you mean?

First thing should be done is run a self test and check for any stored codes. Any KOEO test failures need corrected, need to get a system pass code "111" before moving on.

See> Ford Fuel Injection » How To Run a Self-Test You can run the self test and check codes with nothing more then a paper clip.
If you get a system pass 111 for both KOEO and CM tests, run the KOER test.

and everone knows that it isnt good to drive it without overdrive on unless you're towing something

Not real sure what you where trying to say there, you could run it O/D turned off indefinitely if you wanted and it wouldn't hurt a thing......other then your wallet getting real thin real fast that is.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:44 PM
taisa899
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check to make sure the tranny wiring harness that comes down from the ECU isn't rubbing up against your exhaust, had it happen to me when I put headers on my 96

Old 11-24-2010, 09:06 PM
TNT1968
Senior User
Does the trans shift hard/ speedometer needle jump around when the surge happens? If so it is most likely the VSS and/or the wiring that goes to it.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:25 PM
*2fords*
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
It kinda sounds like the same thing that was going on with my 93. It did it before the engine swap and even after it. It went away before the engine swap though, but came back after it. I had swaped the throttlebody over to the new engine. I took it to a shop and they found that the throttle position sensor was out of adjustment.