Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Senior User

KyleG is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Processor designs...

Anyone have a simple and inexpensive bio-diesel processor that they made and are willing to help me out with their design or just something they know. I want to build one soon. Even just a parts list would be great.
Thanks.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:55 PM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
try here

http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/mainpage/
Old 02-25-2008, 10:17 PM
Senior User

heres another question...Do I have to water wash the bio-diesel, or can I just run it?
Old 02-26-2008, 09:21 AM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You must wash your BD.
Water washing can be a frustrating experience.
I prefer dry washing with Magnesol. When done just filter and go no need to dry.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Senior User

I might sound like a hound here, but why is it something that has to be done...what will happen to the truck? The reason I ask is because I saw the episode of Trucks!, when Stacey David making biodiesel and he didnt water-wash his batch, and ran it in a truck right after it was made. But I don't know i do what I have to.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:47 PM
Senior User

I have somthing else...is there a kit I can buy to do the titration tests? If not then what can I do?
Old 02-26-2008, 02:53 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleG
I might sound like a hound here, but why is it something that has to be done...what will happen to the truck? The reason I ask is because I saw the episode of Trucks!, when Stacey David making biodiesel and he didnt water-wash his batch, and ran it in a truck right after it was made. But I don't know i do what I have to.
You could run "raw" biodiesel, BUT it will slowly kill your engine. Raw biodiesel has excess Methanol, Catalyst, Water, Glycerol, and Free fatty acids in it. Not very good for engine life.............I also do not use water to wash my bio. I use Magnesol and dry wash.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 02-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Post Fiend

tjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to all
Stacey David's an idiot! unwashed Bio contains methanol and soap. Both should be removed. No methanol is not a good fuel for diesels.

Here is a place that has good products and testing kits
http://www.b100supply.com/Default.as...1&Redirected=Y

AD's, IC, Rear Disc, OBA, Tuned by Tony Built by me!

Transmission by Racer X!

Old 02-26-2008, 03:03 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
why is it something that has to be done...what will happen to the truck? The reason I ask is because I saw the episode of Trucks!, when Stacey David making biodiesel and he didnt water-wash his batch, and ran it in a truck right after it was made.
The guy on Trucks made a small batch, Dr Pepper technique, and that amount is not enough to harm your truck; however continued use of contaminated fuel will.

Unwashed BD contains residual amounts of partially reacted oil in the form of Free Fatty Acids (FFAs) they will attack metal parts in the fuel system and cause corrosion. It also contains un reacted NaOH/KOH (depending on which you use) and Methanol that will also damage metal parts. Glycerin is also present, it's very thick and gelatinous, it will plug things up and it gets carmalized (burned on) in the cylinders. The FFAs and residual (X)OH will also combine to make soap, another nasty mess.
Additionally the FFAs can start a process called polymerization that can result in plugged injectors

Read what the Fuel Injection Equipment Manufacturers have to say about unwashed BD
http://www.journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_FIEM.html
Old 02-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
I have somthing else...is there a kit I can buy to do the titration tests? If not then what can I do?
Here is what you need to titrate

bottle of phenol red indicator or phenolpthalein . You can get phenol red at the hardware store if they sell swimming pool supplies. Phenolpthalein is at laboratory supply houses or science educational suppliers like www.enasco.com

1 bottle of distilled water (Steam Distilled if possible)

an empty bottle to store 1 liter of the .1% NaOH solution in

a container of NaOH or KOH- Red Devil Lye from hardware store or KOH from braintan.com

isopropyl alcohol- at least 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol or 99% in the form of red bottle IsoHeet from auto parts stores

three oral syringes- sold at drug stores- graduated in ml.

a way to measure 1 liter- graduated cylinders from eNasco.com or US Plastic Corp, or large kitchen measure cup

several small jars- one to use as the titration 'beaker', one for a sample of oil, and one for handling the .1% NaOH solution so you can dip a syringe into it without contaminating the whole bottle. If using IsoHeet add another one so that you can use the syringe in spite of the IsoHeet's small bottle mouth.

a rag to wipe out the 'beaker' between titrations.

a scale- triple beam is versatile, but something smaller from eBay or smoke shops or pawn shops or science supply houses works fine. There are a few at www.b100supply.com and www.biodieselwarehouse.com.

here is a way to make a small balance scale
http://www.localb100.com/testbatch/dixiecup/
Old 03-06-2008, 10:22 PM
Postmaster

cangim is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.cangim is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
How does the dry washing with Magnesol work?
Old 03-07-2008, 08:53 AM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by cangim
How does the dry washing with Magnesol work?
Try here for more info: http://www.fryerpower.com/store/page1.html

I've been using it for 4 years. I find that it consistently produces a higher quality product and only adds about $.05 per gallon. I have 0 wash water to dispose of and I don't contaminate my bio with water that has to be removed.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Senior User

TchTchr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Does Magnesol = "fry powder"? They use "fry powder" at the fish fries at church. The oil I get from them is always SUPER clean.

Vehicles:

2001 F-250 CC - Vegistroke, many performance goodies - scary fast off the line

1981 Mercedes 300TDT - greasecar conversion, what a highway cruiser!

1963 Chevy II - bone stock - restored (by me), my grandpa bought new, my first car (1980) - my baby
Old 03-08-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TchTchr
Does Magnesol = "fry powder"? They use "fry powder" at the fish fries at church. The oil I get from them is always SUPER clean.
Yes, and no..........Both are made by the same company ( The Dallas Group ) but Magnesol is formulated just for Biodiesel.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Senior User

TchTchr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Yes, and no..........Both are made by the same company ( The Dallas Group ) but Magnesol is formulated just for Biodiesel.
I see - thanks.

Vehicles:

2001 F-250 CC - Vegistroke, many performance goodies - scary fast off the line

1981 Mercedes 300TDT - greasecar conversion, what a highway cruiser!

1963 Chevy II - bone stock - restored (by me), my grandpa bought new, my first car (1980) - my baby
Old 03-08-2008, 10:17 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
biodiesel, closed, david, distill, kit, stacy, waterwash