1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Aaauuuugggghhhh!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 05:59 PM
heathrunkles
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Aaauuuugggghhhh!!!!!!

OK Quick 20 minute instalation for a 203 stat Right? HECK NO. I can't get teh new stem to seat on the pump. The RUbber gasket that came with it seems to be to thin. Its basically flush with the flange when its sitting on top of the stat. I went out and bought a second rubber and tried that to no avail. pulled it apart for the third time sanded the flange and the stem cleaned them with brake kleen and tried again this time ingoring the 15 ft lbs torque and stripped the rear bolt. Drilled and tapped the flange from the stock 6mm to a 7mm, set the rubber, and ran a bead or pyrotech black rtv, torque to 15# and it still leaks. Should I take the rubber out and try just rtv? just so I'm not doing anything stupid-drop the t stat in, set the rubber inside the flange on top of the t stat,set the stem on top, tighten the three bolts and done right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! THanks

Old 02-24-2008, 06:23 PM
kawa
Postmaster
1) From whom did you get the 203 stat from?

2) You probably need to purchase a new Stst housing as they get old, warp, bent, and leak lik crazy.

3) See number one (1)

Rog

Old 02-24-2008, 06:25 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Possible the wrong stat?
PSD came with a long and a short t-stat.

Bill

Old 02-24-2008, 06:28 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
I know how you feel Heath. I had one of the bolts snap when I did my 203 stat. If you use RTV, don't go crazy with it so you don't plug up the coolant passage.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:19 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Make sure the three ears of the housing aren't bent down. Check it on a flat surface. Also make sure everything is clean and dry then skim with RTV. I just did mine a few months ago. Got it all together had a small leak, waited a few weeks to fix and it fixed itself!

Old 02-24-2008, 07:54 PM
heathrunkles
Senior User
OK I got it. It was the new tstat housing. When I pulled it after using rtv I could see on the right side between the ears that there was a noticeable low spot where the rtv was about an 1/8" thick, everywhere else it was paper thin. Before I put it on I had bent the ears back a tad to make sure that it would seat on the gasket and let the bolts pull it down tight. Anyway I did what tj said except with the old housing, dry coat the peices after cleaning them good and now its holding tight.

What a difference it heat-for the engine, which now rests between the r and m in normal and hot hot air in the cab. Thanks Guys