Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Posting Guru

Walston has a good reputation on FTE.Walston has a good reputation on FTE.Walston has a good reputation on FTE.
Installing HVAC on 60, Compressor and Alternator

We started the process of adding a new heater/AC to our 60. We bought a kit from Classic Auto Air. $1265 delivered to the house. First thing we had to remove lots of stuff, radiator, battery tray, alternator, etc. Then we worked on fitting up the compressor and relocating the alternator. Here are a couple before and after shots. BTW the engine is a 292 Y-block.
Attached Images

http://bigjohnstractor.com/
Old 02-24-2008, 04:53 PM
Posting Guru

Walston has a good reputation on FTE.Walston has a good reputation on FTE.Walston has a good reputation on FTE.
The mounting brackets worked pretty well, although I had to adjust the spacers a little to get everything lined up properly. I had to grind a little off two of them to get proper clearance, overall it worked well and I like having the alternator on top away from splashing water. Here is the mounting kit Classic Air supplies, plus where I had to grind.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2008, 04:57 PM
Posting Guru

Here is a couple shots of most of the stuff that comes in the kit. There is also a shorter glove box that comes with it and a wiring harness. The blower assemble is a little larger than the original so the glove box loses a little space.

We will keep taking pictures and eventually put together a gallery that details the installation.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2008, 09:40 PM
Posting Guru

cmoritz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
That is a Great uprade Walston!! Cruise time will be so much more enjoyable! Keep us posted on the progress, I'm real interested how you do the vent install. Good Luck!!
Old 02-25-2008, 10:01 AM
Posting Guru

tacson has a very good reputation on FTE.tacson has a very good reputation on FTE.tacson has a very good reputation on FTE.
Definitely keep us posted how she performs
Old 02-25-2008, 01:25 PM
Roast em' if you got 'em

bobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to behold
Great pics, good details.

this has all the makings for a great tech article.

Bobby
1967 Jeepster Commando
1994 Harley Road King
Old 02-25-2008, 04:38 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Great pics, good details.

this has all the makings for a great tech article.

Bobby
I agree, but it sure takes a long time to get them published, so first I will make sure it is at least we documented in my gallery.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:14 PM
Elder User

DR Smith has a good reputation on FTE.DR Smith has a good reputation on FTE.
It looks like a very good job,althought I am a little concerned with the alt mountting.It looks like you have a bolt on the top mount that goes threw the alt with a nut but no rear mount.I had mine like that and became worried that vibration might break the bolt.As this mostly happens when your on the road,I refabracated a rear mount to add more strenght.It will probalbly be ok ,Just something to think about,
Old 02-25-2008, 06:31 PM
Posting Guru

There is a rear mount, it is difficult to see it in the photo. It is the one below. It mounts through the 2 bolts in the timing cover. I have it taken apart right now for painting of the brackets, once re-assembled I'll show it from both sides.
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2008, 06:31 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
compressor, hvac, installing