Oklahoma Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Anybody Wanna Join Me for Transmission R&R Party? lol....

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:18 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody Wanna Join Me for Transmission R&R Party? lol....

My worn c6 finally gave out on the way home last night. It's been giving a burning oil/rubbery smell the last few days and slipping real bad when it's below 30F outside. I got to my subidivision last night and it would not come out of 1st gear and was making some awful sounds. I knew it wasn't going to last long. I was just hoping it would have lasted a couple more months. But I guess 166K plus miles on the original old 30+ year old tranny is pretty good? I placed my order for a new TCI C6 and torque converter from Summitracing this morning. I hope to see it in 4-5 days. Anybody wanna join me for a transmission Remove & Replace "Party"? lol. Seriously, if anybody wants to come by and help I'd appreciate it and would provide food and drink. I've never done it before, but the Haynes manual makes it sound simple and straight forward. I think the hardest part would be moving the heavy C6 around. Anybody got a trans jack I can borrow? I'll have a more definite R&R date when I get the shipping info on my trans.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:09 AM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Ouch man... hate to hear that for you.

I don't know of anybody on here that has a tranny jack, but I know you can rent one from the rental store in Owasso (I think it's somewhere close to Autozone) for around $30 for a weekend. I do have a 4-ton floor jack though that you are welcome too.

I don't know how much help I would be, but call me up and let me know when... if nothing else, I'll pull up a seat and be your audience!

You'll probably need some special tools too, won't you?

STan

Old 01-29-2008, 03:00 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Hiya Stan, I'd appreciate any help I can get. Even having an extra set of eyes to watch
would hopefully keep me from making any big mistakes or forgetting something. That is an
excellent point on the trans jack from Equipment One Rental in owasso. I'll give them a call.
If anyone wants to come over to Owasso to give me advice or help during this R&R you would
be appreciated and welcomed. I'm hoping it's not going to be too cold. As per Summit, the
trans and conv should arrive in time for the weekend.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:24 PM
jwtimme
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a tranny jack, should not need any special tools except for a long extinsion and a 5/8 wiggle socket will make life easier, and a few hand tools. Let me know when you are going to put the new tranny in and I will bring over the jack and any other tools needed. make shure you have plenty of tranny fluid I think a c-6 holds 12-13 quarts, before you buy see what fluid tci recomends to put in it, most of the time they don't use type f but mercon three.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:45 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Thanks, Justin. I'll give you a call when the trans arrives.(check yer email when you get a chance.) I've got an air compressor, air ratchet, air impact gun, the standard sockets and such. The Haynes manual didn't specify any special tools aside from the trans jack.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:04 AM
rogerf100
Elder User
Be sure you fill the new torque converter before you install the tranny. There will probably be some install info included with the tranny from TCI.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:20 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Thanks for the heads up, Roger. I will be sure to do that. The TCI tech told me to use F fluid for the break in period(~400miles), then switch to a good Mercon type. I think I'll use the B&M Trick Shift.(That stuff made a big improvement on my oem trans last year.)

FYI, I probably won't see the trans and torque converter until sometime next week. They have to freight ship it so it takes longer to deliver. I'm still waiting on a delivery date from Summit. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:32 AM
dakota_viking
Elder User
Hey Ron,

Bummer about the tranny. It's not a hard job changing them, just time and patience. Let me know when the new unit comes in.

If you want, I'll give you my tired C6 (so you don't miss your old one) and when your new one comes in, I'll use it for my truck!

Give me a shout!

Tim

Old 01-31-2008, 09:35 AM
Arnold Kenyon
Senior User
Here is something to look out for that happened to me while installing a C6 in a 79 I used to own. Everything was lined up and bolted in and I had torqued all the bolts. While hooking up the trans. kickdown, I could not find the throttle cable. It was between the motor and tranny. I know you are laughing right now but at that point I was not. I have replaced several C6's and it is not that difficult. Never used a tranny jack but I bet that would make it go much easier. Good luck on the install and that is a beautiful truck you have there.

Have you had any problems with the aftermarket ignition system. I am planning to possibly upgrade or replace mine in the future. Thanks.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:23 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Thumbs up

Thanks, Arnold. Good point. I'm actually making a written list of things to check and do along each step in the R&R, just to make sure I don't mess things up. I'll add that one to the list.

Shipping Update: As per UPS freight the Trans is scheduled for delivery on Friday the 1st. (That's 163lbs of freight. yikes.) The Torq Conv is scheduled for delivery on Monday the 4th. Sounds odd to me. I'm hoping they both arrive by Saturday.

Thanks, Tim. I'll give you a call too.

I would love to get as much done on Saturday as possible, so as not to interrupt anybody's SuperBowl plans. All I can do is sit and wait for the shipments.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:41 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Stinkin snow storm. The trucks got delayed in MO. I won't see the parts until Monday. Sigh.....If this wasn't my daily driver I wouldn't be so bummed. Oh well, nothing we can do against Mother Nature.

I'll start getting the truck "prepped for operation" in the meantime.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Arnold Kenyon
Senior User
That is so disappointing, it is hard to be patient when you do not have any wheels.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:37 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Thumbs up

Okay, I have possesion of the TCI trans and torque converter. I'm planning for this Saturday, the 9th, starting around 12:45. The weather is supposed to be in the low 60s and sunny. Yaaa. JW will be bringing over his trans jack, and I should have all other needed tools on hand. If anybody wants to come on by I'll provide drinks and food(and cigars ). All are welcome, even if it's just to hang out as an imprompto FTE meet, lol.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Hmm... I'll try to make it.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:39 PM
78fordtruckgirl
Freshman User
Man, I have to work Sat. night or I would be there. Haven't gotten my hands dirty in quite a while. Let me know how it goes!