FuelmisterII????

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 11:14 PM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FuelmisterII????

I am looking and thinking very hard about getting this system. What do you guys think about it and will it sustain a need or around 40 gallons a week max? Usually I will use less than that. I am open to hear all of your suggestions

Old 02-23-2008, 07:43 AM
TchTchr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FuelMeister

I believe the correct spelling is FuelMeister. I checked their website. The system looks pretty slick and foolproof. I would love to make the bio-diesel instead running SVO, but storage is my problem. If I had room, I'd be making the bio-diesel.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:47 PM
littledre1
Senior User
Originally Posted by TchTchr
I believe the correct spelling is FuelMeister. I checked their website. The system looks pretty slick and foolproof. I would love to make the bio-diesel instead running SVO, but storage is my problem. If I had room, I'd be making the bio-diesel.
I'm about to purchace the Vegistroke system myself but now you have me second guessing my decision. Why would you rather make/run bio then SVO?

Old 02-24-2008, 08:43 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just from reading, both have their advantages and dis-advantages. WVO you don't have to use something like methanol to create the fuel. With true B100 you don't have to wait for the motor to warm up before you start to burn it. Personally, I like the idea of WVO....less chance of a fire while prepping the fuel (filtering and de-water)....but to each their own. When using waste cooking oil/grease for the feed stock...both will cause the truck's exhaust to smell like the fryer they came from....so the "pollution" could get you in trouble with Weight Watchers police.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:20 PM
TchTchr
Senior User
True - there is a chance of fire when dealing with methanol. I know a guy who burned a shed making bio. I'm sure the insurance company would not pay out either if you burned your house down. If I lived on a farm with a disposable shed, I'd make bio. As it is though, I'm perfectly happy with running wvo.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:57 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by littledre1
Why would you rather make/run bio then SVO?

BD is safer for your engine than WVO.
If you do the mods to your truck and follow startup/shutdown protocols faithfully you can reduce the risk but not eliminate it.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:53 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Phydeaux88
BD is safer for your engine than WVO.
If you do the mods to your truck and follow startup/shutdown protocols faithfully you can reduce the risk but not eliminate it.
See that is why this site is so great, the only advantage I know BD has over WVO is that you don't have to warm the motor up to burn BD. I wasn't aware WVO imposed some risk to the motor. Something else to think about.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Gun-Driver
Senior User
What I like about Bio is that I dont need an extra tank, fuel lines(more things that can leak) or an extra fuel pump. You just pour it in the fuel tank. In the winter all you have to do is blend it with regular diesel, you don't have to worry about heating the extra tank.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:54 PM
FN74
Elder User
Originally Posted by Gun-Driver
What I like about Bio is that I dont need an extra tank, fuel lines(more things that can leak) or an extra fuel pump. You just pour it in the fuel tank. In the winter all you have to do is blend it with regular diesel, you don't have to worry about heating the extra tank.
All Depends on where you live and the oil stock that bio is made from. Bio is not as hard on your engine to run cold, but it's cloud point (point where it starts to thicken) is not that much below it's WVO counterpart. So if it gets cold where you live you will need to either heat the bio, or mix it with diesel. If you happen to live in Florida or San Diego, then life is good for bio.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:05 AM
Gun-Driver
Senior User
Thats why I said in the winter I blend it with regular diesel. I'm not sure if you can do that with the straight VO.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:10 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Gun-Driver
Thats why I said in the winter I blend it with regular diesel. I'm not sure if you can do that with the straight VO.
Some say you can.
I dont believe they will stay blended.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:39 AM
FN74
Elder User
Originally Posted by Phydeaux88
Some say you can.
I dont believe they will stay blended.
Actually it will. Back when I first started doing this about 3.5 years ago, I ran 100% WVO in my stock system. And had nothing but problems. I kept adding heat, tried using exhaust heat, tried heating my OEM tank, tried several ideas that never worked very well. So I started mixing. That went a lot better, but was still having issues with the stock filter plugging up, and leaving along side the road attempting to blow it out well enough to get me another few miles. That is when I went to a two tank system, but still using the stock pump and filter. Better, but still a lot of problems. One time while camping I didn't purge completely and nearly didin't get my truck started again in the middle of BFE.
About this time I finally came up with the very primitive Vegistroke idea with two completely seperate fuel systems. Immediately my roadside breakdowns were done. Still had issues with the WVO stuff, but no more being stuck when it went wrong. Took a LONG time to get the pumps figured out. But for a period everything was going well with the WVO stuff, so getting greedy, I started mixing WVO and diesel in my main tank again. And while on a road trip, I plugged my stock filter. . Again. And that was the last time anything other than normal #2 diesel has been pumped into my diesel tank. Not worth the headaches that i have had with it.

So, to finally answer the question of seperating, No, Diesel and WVO will not seperate. Back when I started all of this I mixed 50/50 #2/WVO, put it in a sealed container on my shop counter, and there it sat for the next 6 months. Never seperated. It did however start to grow. I added some anti-microbial to it and the growth stopped.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Just because you do not see a clear line of seperation does not mean seperation didnt occur along a gradient.
VO and #2 are partially miscible but the large difference in molecular size makes it almost impossible to get complete blending that wont seperate to some extent.
With two partially miscible liquids that have been blended and allowed to stand undisturbed for some time the very top layer will be somthing like 90% of the least dense and 10% most dense. as you move down thru the liquid column the percentages will gradually change with the more dense increasing and the less dense decreasing untill the very bottom where the percentages may well be reversed. If the two liquids are similar in color you may not be able to detect this change but your engine can.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:35 PM
TchTchr
Senior User
Not that I would EVER put veg in my diesel tank, but wouldn't the constant sloshing around keep it and the diesel fuel mixed up? I don't know, but I would think it would take awhile for the two to seperate, but once driving, they would get mixed up again.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:40 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Correct me if I wrong...but doesn't VO put undue stress on the OEM fuel pump? I vaguely remember reading somewhere that SVO causes the pump to over heat trying to pump it when it's below 120 degrees because of the thickness of the oil/fuel. Warm the oil up and the pump in the tank doesn't get the cooling effect from the fuel since it's warm than the pump. Maybe it was on another forum related to using VO for a fuel...thus the reason two tank WVO/SVO are the way to go. I can't remember if the Fords still have the pump in the tank or not.

Quick Reply: FuelmisterII????