2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Me: 1 Spark plugs: 0 w00t w00t

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 03:11 PM
mrpositraction
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me: 1 Spark plugs: 0 w00t w00t

Well, as some know I am getting ready to install my Roush kit this next weekend. I woke up this morning and thought I would tackle the plugs this weekend in case I ran into any of the dreaded broken plugs. My truck is an 2007 with the 5.4L. I had, the night before, did a seafoam treatment (1/3 of big can dumped into the brake booster line). I let it sit for about 20 minutes after shutting it off, started it up, but no smoke, guess it was clean, which it should be for only 13,000 miles. I was prepared! Had the special socket for our plugs, had the carb cleaner ready, and the anit-seize for the new plugs. I drove the truck around and ran some errands this morning to let it warm up. Brought it home, popped the hood and got my tools ready (20 minutes). I started slow to let the engine cool down, but it was 28°F out when I started. I took all the coils off and began to turn the 1st plug. I had only intended to turn the plug 1/8 of a turn and then I was going to do the Carb treatment as outlined in the TSB. The plug came out with ease, no problem at all. The rest of the plugs followed, no problems, other than some skin missing off my hand getting the rear passenger plug. So, to recap what I did:

1) Sea foam treatment in brake boost line night before.
2) Poured 1.5 cans of sea foam into the tank, filled up with 93 octane (prep for S/C, didn't want any 89 left in the tank) that morning (only was in for about 30 minutes, though I did flog the hell out of it to get as much in the cylinders as I could.
3) Engine was warm, after being at full running temp.

Now, this truck has been in MO the entire time since new, and we have 10% ethanol in all of our fuels now (I ran 89, 10% ethanol), since new, same price, why not. Ethanol is know for burning clean. I had the truck tuned shortly after I bought. We fixed the A/F a little but that was about it for engine management. I run the truck through the rpms often, and never let the truck idle very long. Even during warm up, I usually put a light load on the engine getting to where I got to go.

There was barely any carbon build up on the plugs. I will get some pictures later, but I was very pleased on clean they were.

I most likely will post pictures after next weekends S/C install. Just wanted to share the good news. I am so relieved they came out without a problem. I am sure a major contributor is how new the truck is, but I like to think my methods had something

Thanks,
Greg

Old 02-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Joe04F150
Senior User
Would it help to treat the gas with Sea Foam regularly? I want to change my plugs but have to wait until spring so I can drive my car if the truck is down.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:20 PM
WilZol
Junior User
I was thinking about how much the Sea foam would help out before a plug change. If it gets the carbon off the valves it should certainly get it off of the plugs as well. I thinks it's a great idea to run that treatment through first.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:03 PM
dfishrmn88
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a little confused about putting Seafoam in the brake boost line. How is this done and how does this help the engine? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:39 PM
Seasprite
Junior User
I bought a can of seafoam deep creap in antisipation of doing my plug change this spring deep creap is there aresol version plan on spraying this in my plug wells instead of fords carborater cleaner used seafoam for years in my explorer and my 77 85hp johnson the stuff does brake up the carbon once had to pull intake manifold on explorer because of water leak injector hats looked brand new no buildup on them at all I think its great stuff my 05 f-150 has 23k on it now wish spring would get here so can get this done and put it behind me I also run 2 cans in the gas tank at every oil change.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:16 AM
Joe04F150
Senior User
Originally Posted by dfishrmn88
I'm a little confused about putting Seafoam in the brake boost line. How is this done and how does this help the engine? Inquiring minds want to know.
That makes 2 minds...

Old 02-24-2008, 08:18 AM
Joe04F150
Senior User
Originally Posted by Seasprite
I also run 2 cans in the gas tank at every oil change.
Is there a particular version you use or do they just sell gas treatment, I'm green when it comes to Seafoam...I've heard allot of good things about it but haven't used it yet...

Old 02-24-2008, 09:03 AM
mrpositraction
Tuned
Come gather round while I tell you the tale of sea foam......... :cue sound:

LOL, if you pick up a can from you local autopart store, I only know of one kind in the liquid form, the directions are on it. Some cars I have done it was tough to find an easily accessible vacuum line to use. Our trucks are one of the easiest I have done, with a Trans Am coming in 2nd. For you typical users (yearly) I would just buy one large can, pour 1/3 of it slowly into the brake boost line (it pulls right off) and the rest in the gas tank. Here is how I did it:

1st pull the brake boost line off.
2nd, start the vehicle. It may idle funny since you have a HUGE vacuum leak now.
3rd, slowly pour 1/3 of the large can into the vacuum line. It will rev up, start to die and you may see some smoke coming from the exhaust.
4th, immediately shut it off after you have put in 1/3 of a can.
5th, leave sit for 20 minutes
6th, make sure your vacuum line is connected once again, and start. It may be hard starting, and make some funny noises, once it is started, let the oil cycle for about 30 seconds and then go thrash on it. If there was a lot of gunk, you won't be able to see behind you the smoke will be so thick.

NOTE: You engine must be warm when doing this.

Idea behind this procedure:

Sea foam claims to remove build up and recondition seals. My hopes was that I would attack the carbon build up from the back side of the plug. I also poured the rest of the can (+ another big can) into my fuel for a tank full of treatment. Now I can't guarantee this is what made the difference, but I all know is that I had 0 (zero) problems taking my plugs out.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:06 AM
mrpositraction
Tuned
Originally Posted by Joe04F150
Would it help to treat the gas with Sea Foam regularly? I want to change my plugs but have to wait until spring so I can drive my car if the truck is down.
I didn't answer this in my last post, sorry.

The idea is that you pour the sea foam into the vacuum lines and it coats the vacuum lines, intake, valves, and upper cylinders. When you shut the engine off it is supposed to soak in and do its thing. I have seen cars with a lot of build up, and they pour a dirty white smoke out when flooring it after treatment. The smoke clears up in about 5 minutes and all is good. A lot of time throttle response is improved and some claim gas mileage. The gas tank method is supposed to help clean the PCV system also, that is what the can says.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:52 PM
Joe04F150
Senior User
you stated the second easiest was a trans am, what year? I have an 00 SS and I've read about the sea foam on the LS1 forums but haven't used it yet, is the booster line the same on that?

I appreciate the step by step on the truck, I'll be doing it this week and maybe another treatment before I tackle the plugs. Thanks!

Old 02-24-2008, 08:34 PM
dfishrmn88
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrpositraction
Come gather round while I tell you the tale of sea foam......... :cue sound:

LOL, if you pick up a can from you local autopart store, I only know of one kind in the liquid form, the directions are on it. Some cars I have done it was tough to find an easily accessible vacuum line to use. Our trucks are one of the easiest I have done, with a Trans Am coming in 2nd. For you typical users (yearly) I would just buy one large can, pour 1/3 of it slowly into the brake boost line (it pulls right off) and the rest in the gas tank. Here is how I did it:

1st pull the brake boost line off.
2nd, start the vehicle. It may idle funny since you have a HUGE vacuum leak now.
3rd, slowly pour 1/3 of the large can into the vacuum line. It will rev up, start to die and you may see some smoke coming from the exhaust.
4th, immediately shut it off after you have put in 1/3 of a can.
5th, leave sit for 20 minutes
6th, make sure your vacuum line is connected once again, and start. It may be hard starting, and make some funny noises, once it is started, let the oil cycle for about 30 seconds and then go thrash on it. If there was a lot of gunk, you won't be able to see behind you the smoke will be so thick.

NOTE: You engine must be warm when doing this.

Idea behind this procedure:

Sea foam claims to remove build up and recondition seals. My hopes was that I would attack the carbon build up from the back side of the plug. I also poured the rest of the can (+ another big can) into my fuel for a tank full of treatment. Now I can't guarantee this is what made the difference, but I all know is that I had 0 (zero) problems taking my plugs out.
One more novice question, where is the brake boost line located? Don't want to pour it in the wrong place.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:58 PM
mrpositraction
Tuned
Originally Posted by Joe04F150
you stated the second easiest was a trans am, what year? I have an 00 SS and I've read about the sea foam on the LS1 forums but haven't used it yet, is the booster line the same on that?

I appreciate the step by step on the truck, I'll be doing it this week and maybe another treatment before I tackle the plugs. Thanks!
2001 so it was pretty much the same as yours. I think all I needed was pliers to pull the clip off on the brake booster.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:03 PM
mrpositraction
Tuned
One more novice question, where is the brake boost line located? Don't want to pour it in the wrong place.
The brake booster is on the drivers side firewall. Your brake reservoir is connected to it I believe. The vacuum line just pulls right off. I took the connector and all. The connector even rotated 90° for easy pouring. I removed the line with the truck off, because I didn't want to fight the Vacuum.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:59 AM
Bocomo
Cross-Country
I'm glad to know someone in Boone County, Missouri can help me change my plugs. I have 06 F150 4x4 5.4-3V with 16,000 miles. I have thought of doing the SeaFoam treatment to help minimize the carbon build up. If it worked at all it would help, if it didn't work it wouldn't hurt anything.

Or better yet, someone help transform my F150 into a Roush. Probably financially challenged to transform to a Roush, maybe I can just see yours someday.

Bocomo

Old 02-25-2008, 08:44 AM
mrpositraction
Tuned
Originally Posted by Bocomo
I'm glad to know someone in Boone County, Missouri can help me change my plugs. I have 06 F150 4x4 5.4-3V with 16,000 miles. I have thought of doing the SeaFoam treatment to help minimize the carbon build up. If it worked at all it would help, if it didn't work it wouldn't hurt anything.

Or better yet, someone help transform my F150 into a Roush. Probably financially challenged to transform to a Roush, maybe I can just see yours someday.

Bocomo
If I were you, I would at least pull them out and anti sieze them. I am telling you, they came out like butter, no problems.

Quick Reply: Me: 1 Spark plugs: 0 w00t w00t