Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-22-2008, 05:55 PM
New User

balljoint is starting off with a positive reputation.
tow/haul light flashing

I have a f-250 diesel 4x4 auto. trans. My check engine light came on, and then my tow/haul light started flashing. Idrove straight to my local ford dealer to get it checked out. they replaced the ICP sensor and hardware. theysaid that was the problem with the engine light, but I needed to replace the transmission. They gave me a quote of $3,700. I have never had any problems with the tranny, Itow a 38 ft. 5th wheel, and it preforms fine every time. And when I left the dealership the light was not flashing. Has anybody had a problem with the tow/haul light flashing?
Old 02-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
The tow/haul light flashes when the is a problem with the transmission. Without knowing what code was set it's impossible to know what's wrong. It could mean a new trans, but more likely it's something minor. Try somewhere that's better at diagnostics to get the trans code read. Many independant shops can't read Ford trans codes.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 02-22-2008, 08:45 PM
New User

balljoint is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the input Mark, I will get it testd again, but do you think it will hurt to drive it for a while? I dont have that kind of money right now
Old 02-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Posting Guru

liv is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
The tow/haul light flashes when the is a problem with the transmission. Without knowing what code was set it's impossible to know what's wrong. It could mean a new trans, but more likely it's something minor. Try somewhere that's better at diagnostics to get the trans code read. Many independant shops can't read Ford trans codes.
He said he took it to a Ford dealership.

I doubt you have a problem with the transmission if you said its running great. You'll know when you blow a tranny.

I would take it to a different dealership though and see if its throwing any codes just to be safe.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:51 AM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
My tow-haul light came on while towing today. After a quick check, I found that it was simply that I did not have the plug in tightly. A bad connection will cause the light to flash.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 02-23-2008, 04:35 AM
Senior User

buba 11 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My tow-haul light started flashing one day also,

Checked for trouble codes and found code for a bad transmission temperature sensor.
$65.00 at my local Ford dealer and a pain in the $%$ to change because you need to drop the transmission pan to install it. Used this opportunity to change the internal screen and fluid and recycle some of that old moldy money which had been collecting in my wallet.
Funny thing, the transmission was mis-shifting badly with the old sensor but the new one corrected the problem.
Every day with the 6.0 is a new learning experience!
Old 02-23-2008, 07:42 AM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv
He said he took it to a Ford dealership.
I saw that. Unfortunately that doesn't mean they know what they are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv
I doubt you have a problem with the transmission if you said its running great. You'll know when you blow a tranny.
He has a problem with the trans. The light is flashing which means there is a problem with the trans. It's probably minor because he doesn't notice a problem. If he keeps driving it he will know when he blows the trans. If you keep driving a trans with a small problem it usually turns into a destroyed trans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv
I would take it to a different dealership though and see if its throwing any codes just to be safe.
That's what I meant.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 02-23-2008, 08:40 AM
Senior User

paddler65 is starting off with a positive reputation.
balljoint
sorry about tranny.
if you are towing a 38'5ver with 3 or 4 slides you may be towing more than that tranny was builted for. have the truck and camper weighted.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:54 AM
Postmaster

HeavyAssault is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HeavyAssault is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
There have been posts of the VSS on the rear diff going bad causing the TOW/HAUL light to blink. It's a DIY repair if you get the new sensor.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:00 AM
Senior User

MOB.Diesel-350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
mine flashed a while back when towing up in the mountains. pulled two codes, forgot what they were but both related to the clutches. dropped the pan for inspection and a whole lot of shavings in the pan. and it too felt fine, for the most part. i could feel it slip between 1 & 2. $3700 for a stock trany, yikes. i decided to spend $4900 and have it beefed up. shifts like a monster now.
Custom Trans w/ Billet TC
Old 02-23-2008, 10:00 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2004, 2005, blinking, blinks, f150, f250, f350, flashes, flashing, ford, haul, light, tow, towhaul, towing