Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Replacing Dash Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 08:35 AM
standinby
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Dash Lights

Hello all,
I haven't crawled under the dash yet, but the light in my 02 gear selector has gone out. I suspect a burned out bulb. Is there anything I need to know before I get under there? Is going in from the bottom even the correct way or do I have to remove the dash? Just a little advance help would be appreciated. Thank you, Mike.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:36 AM
caseys
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I know we do not have the same Ford...but, on my 96 Explorer I recently replaced the burned out bulbs in the dash and had to remove the dash instrument cluster to do so. I had found instructions on this website on how to do it. At first glance in looked like a nightmare but in reality it really was not bad. Took me about 45 minutes ... maybe less, and that is because I was going slow and taking time out for a beer.

I did follow other folks suggestions in replacing all the bulbs and using the long life bulb types since I had the dash apart. Murphy's Law would suggest that if you replace just the one bulb and second one will go out just after you put everything back together.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:24 PM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by standinby
Hello all,
I haven't crawled under the dash yet, but the light in my 02 gear selector has gone out. I suspect a burned out bulb. Is there anything I need to know before I get under there? Is going in from the bottom even the correct way or do I have to remove the dash? Just a little advance help would be appreciated. Thank you, Mike.
This is the same light as the odometer lamp? if so, and it's the same as my 2003, there's no crawling under the dash. There's a couple of trim screws in the bezel above the dash cluster - unscrew them then the bezel comes out after you pry the bottom - there's a spring clip arrangement there. One of those things that feels like you're going to break it getting it out. Then the cluster itself comes out with four more screws. That lamp is a #74, I believe...

Old 02-22-2008, 06:38 PM
standinby
New User
Thanks all. I think we'll give a go this weekend. I'll let you know.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:05 AM
standinby
New User
I undertook that job last Saturday and it went well, thanks to all your help. It was a little daunting but turned out to be pretty simple. And I did replace all the bulbs while it was out, so I didn't have to go thru that again soon.. Thanks again all.