Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

6.9L issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 04:12 AM
LBCMS
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.9L issue

so i finished installing a hypermax turbo kit on my 86 f250. I started the truck and it idled just fine about a min into the run the exhaust started poping really loud and spitting out white smoke. the poping sound got quite for a bit then loud and the engine was shaking wildly so i quickely shut the truck off. yesterday it ran and drove fine its not getting full boost yet because i have left the cdr hole on the back of the intake off so most of the boost is exiting through that. but today i adjusted the fuel flow on the side of the ijection pump i increased it about 180 degrees clockwise like the instructions state took it around the the block and back then parked it
Any Ideas? the truck has only 96,000 orig miles.
<!-- / message --><!-- / Post extension -->
<!-- controls -->

Old 02-21-2008, 10:46 AM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
about 180 degrees clockwise
Usually we talk allen key flats in turning up the pump, one or two is about all you need max. A pyrometer is required also.......
If you bottomed out the IP screw back it off ASAP or you will destroy it.....in fact use it at the original setting until running good.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:25 PM
LBCMS
New User
well a couple people were confused but yes i made about 2 3/4 flats clockwise as far as it would go.
so i have pulled the valve covers off this morning no lose rockers. and all the valves seem to move with a little pressure applied to them by hand

Old 02-21-2008, 05:11 PM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK so you have bottomed out the adjustment ( as far as it will go) that will screw the IP ASAP so back it off 2 flats........ if it runs better leave it alone.

From a master at rebuilding IPs for racing..........

The reason for not bottoming out the screw is -
When you turn the screw in you're increase the piston travel length in the pump (inside the charging chamber) Good thing? Yes, more fuel. BUT, if you turn that bugger in too far, (bottom it out) the pistons will actually have too long of a travel, and as soon as you go to WOT, they'll start to compress the fuel before the discharge ports line up with charging chamber. In a nutshell, instant hydrolock. The input shaft for the pump will shear clean off.
Don't want to scare anyone, I've just seen it happen (many times, unfortunately). Most recently was a kid at a county fair tractor pull. They hooked the tractor to the sled, he took the slack out, slowly let out the clutch and increased the throttle. As soon as he reached full fuel, the tractor instantly died. He tried to start it again, and had no smoke from the exhaust. Talking to him after the pull, I found out that he had just learned how to turn the pump up from a local shop, but they didn't tell him not to go too far with the screw. "So I thought that if you turned the screw in all the way, then that would be the maximum setting for the pump" I guess he found out the hard way.
I told him next time he wants to pull, let me know. "We've got a few ways to get a lot more fuel out of these pumps than you can by just turning that screw in."
Ken........ DPS

Old 02-21-2008, 05:56 PM
LBCMS
New User
so would that cause it to back fire in sence? i just did a compression check with the equipment i had available the only cylinder that was questionable was the #7 driver side rear. the first couple strokes did indicate on the gauge but then leaked out and the third and fourth stroke it filled the compression gauge with out leaking out. repeated it again several time with the same results appears to have good compression except the first couple compression strokes but but it built up[ pressure after words

Old 02-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
LBCMS,
Welcome to FTE and the IDI diesel forum.

Do you have the CDR hole blocked off yet?

As for the popping, could be IP problems from bottoming the screw.

How many miles on the engine?

Old 02-21-2008, 10:27 PM
LBCMS
New User
havent blocked the hole yet havent fired it up since yesterday. the turbo unit is off at the moment. tomorrow i plan on backing that ip screw back it its orignal setting and see what happens

Old 02-22-2008, 06:04 PM
LBCMS
New User
so i backed the allen screw up about 2 flats boltedeverything back together. started and ran rough for a bit popping etc. but now it seems like its her hold self again did a few test drives no more popping thank gosh