1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Buying soon...Which model? And is this a good year?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2001, 06:04 PM
Jaytrain01
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 12-21-2001, 11:55 PM
SACHS
New User

I am planning to buy a truck within the next week or so. I like the 1997 model year because the body and they are more affordable. I am thinking about a f-250 x-cab. Is this a good idea? Second choice is the f-150 x-cab. But I definately want an x-cab. Should I be aware of any flaws with these? Thanks for any input.

Old 12-22-2001, 09:17 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You worry too much.

Buy what you need. Both trucks are good trucks. It just depends on what you need and what sort of condition they are in. If you have ?'s about them have them checked out by a mechanic you trust.

Old 12-22-2001, 09:45 PM
kewlf150
Freshman User

just have them checked out so you dont get riped off and see what recalls need to be done on the 97's because they were the ginypig year with all the problems that are e-z to fix by the ford dealership

Old 12-22-2001, 10:02 PM
SACHS
New User

WORRY TO MUCH? HMMM, I THOUGHT THIS WAS A REASONABLE QUESTION. I AM LOOKING FOR A MORE DETAILED ANSWER, OF COURSE I AM GOING TO BUY WHAT I NEED AND WHAT I WANT. AND I WILL OBVIOUSLY TAKE IT TO A MECHANIC...GEEZ. I THOUGHT THIS BOARD COULD HELP ME WITH THE PARTICULARS....LIKE I HAVE HEARD BAD THINGS ABOUT THE 5.4 ENGINE(97)...A LEAKY TRANSMISSION(AUTO 97)...CONDENSATION DRIPPING ON THE O2 SENSOR....THINGS LIKE THAT, I AM WONDERING IF THERE IS ANY VALIDITY TO THESE? BEING THAT I AM IN A FORD TRUCK FORUM, I WANTED TO HEAR IT FORM THE OWNERS MOUTH, NOT A PUBLICATION. WHATEVER, I CAN ALWAYS DO THIS THE OLD FASHIONED WAY, BUY ONE AND DEAL WITH IT.

Old 12-23-2001, 12:28 AM
Torky
Senior User

I have an early '97 (June 96) 4.6L S/C 150. When I got it, the 5.8 was not out yet. I'm happy with the 4.6, has had none of the troubles of the 5.4. Recalls were: Lug nuts (replaced all with new design), fuel line rubbing check (OK). I troubleshot the slip joint binding problem in the intermediate steering shaft, dealer replaced it, found out there WAS a TSB on it. Pitman arm squeeky sealed joint, I lubed it myself with a needle, fine ever since. I don't have the rear sliding window, a lot of those had rain leak problems. No door cracks on mine either.
About the F-250, there are two different designs there for '97. The first is the F-250 that looks like the '96 and earlier trucks, which it is, it has nothing to do with the '97 and up F-150.
Then there is the short lived F-250 based on the new 150, it has 7 lug nuts and a higher GVWR. In later years that became the 7700 payload option on the F-150. They are rather rare.
By the way, if you want help and knowledge, don't offend the people who can help.

Old 12-23-2001, 02:52 AM
SACHS
New User

yes, i should have said it in another way, thank you for your help and sorry. i was thinking that i would be happy with the 4.6, i am not going to be needing superior towing power. thanks for the insight on that issue. hmmm, so it seems most of the other problem areas are minor and/or can be handled by a "backyard" mechanic like myself- otherwise i will find a friendly stealer to take it to. one more thing, are you saying that if i can find a 97 250 with the new body style, it would be a good thing? thanks. i will once again become a ford owner by next week (i used to own a 72 f-100 ranger- fun truck)...later.

Old 12-24-2001, 12:42 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The reason I posted the comment about worrying too much was because you had asked a general ? about 2 differant trucks with no info on what you wanted or the condition of the trucks. So there was no good way of answering your ? except to tell you to have them checked out. You also did not mention that you could turn a wrench. How was I to know? Again, my post said to have it checked by someone you trusted. You also asked of information about problems with them. Ok, I can try and mention every item that has come up in this forum or you could look and see what has been commented on.

Your responses give people a idea of what you were looking for and so you got more helpful responses.

The 97 f250ld with the 4.6 is rare. You can probably find one though and get it for a low price. Why? Because it is a truck that has a heavier chassis on it but really doesn't have the motor for pulling heavy loads. It will do it, just not as easily as the 5.4. My neighbor had a 99 f250 ld with the 4.6 and it was not a fair comparision to mine. All in all, the ld has been called by some a 5/8 instead of a 3/4 ton. It is nice having a unique truck like that and seeing the 250 badge on the side. The only time it is a handicapp is if you want a differant set of wheels. 7 lug wheels are not common.

Old 12-27-2001, 01:52 AM
mountainman
Senior User

fi50 xcab will do u right. id look for a 98 with the four door option, definite plus, 99's are standard. no flaws with the doors, except some cracking (look it up) noone i know has cracked doors.u may only need the 4.6 but if u can get the 5.4. lot more passing power. ask what the truck was used for,, if for work,, what kind. many guys abuse them and trade them in. shoot for private party, tell people u are looking,, grab old wants ads,, if they still have it, bargin them down, if the tires need replacement,, pick out the best ones and deduct the asking price. if they are a smoker, forget it, the truck will stink, have burn marks and its bad for the electrical. if it has upgrades that shows the owner cared about it.. ask i it was ever in an accident. a bent frame can be evidenced by looking at the irregular wear on the tires (chopped and outside worn) if u find a truck u like and are confident with ur decision, then buy it

good luck,
mountainman, mn