1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

no start 96 psd

Old 02-19-2008, 09:27 PM
kens crewcab
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no start 96 psd

need help, i have a 96 f350 it's has been running rough for the past 3 days, hard starting and rough idle but stop for fuel shut the truck off and thats all see wrote . i change the cps nothing and the idm only because i had trouble with this before.pull the codes 1code p1212, is this code a icp code or ipr code for my year psd. i check the oil level for the hpop about 1 in down so i filled it to the top. the truck did start after cranking for 1 to2 mins. but had the rough idle then i shut the truck off tryed to start 30 secs after would not start. on the scanner the icp was 200 lbs, so i unpluged the icp it went to 2100 lbs but still would not start, does this sound like a icp or ipr valve

Old 02-19-2008, 09:55 PM
bkcowboss
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like under valve cover harnesses to me. If you have access do a buzz test, if not, ohm out the two inner pins in the valve cover to the middle pin. The very outside pin is the GP the next in on both sides is injector specific hot, and the middle is common injector (for both) ground.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:25 AM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by kens crewcab
need help, i have a 96 f350 it's has been running rough for the past 3 days, hard starting and rough idle but stop for fuel shut the truck off and thats all see wrote . i change the cps nothing and the idm only because i had trouble with this before.pull the codes 1code p1212, is this code a icp code or ipr code for my year psd. i check the oil level for the hpop about 1 in down so i filled it to the top. the truck did start after cranking for 1 to2 mins. but had the rough idle then i shut the truck off tryed to start 30 secs after would not start. on the scanner the icp was 200 lbs, so i unpluged the icp it went to 2100 lbs but still would not start, does this sound like a icp or ipr valve
ICP at 200 won't fire the injectors ,,, the 2100 was a false reading ...Its sounds as though you have an internal HP leak ,,,Or a poppet clearance issue ,,,You'll need a guage set up , to start isolating components ...Dead head the HPOP & IPR then one head at a time ,,,You could also pull the valve covers & watch the spill spouts on the injectors & look for oil leaking from the base of the injectors

IPR O rings are a cheap & easy test .What was the IPR DC% at no start?

Old 02-20-2008, 08:26 AM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Z14 CONTINUOUS DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P1212
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
Are KOEO DTCs present?
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="92%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH width="50%">Yes </TH><TH width="50%">No </TH></TR><TR><TD width="50%">SERVICE KOEO DTCs before continuing. If DTC P1212 returns. GO to Z15 . </TD><TD width="50%">GO to Z15 . </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Z15 CHECK OIL RESERVOIR LEVEL
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
Is ICP V reading at least 0.85v within 5 seconds at crank?
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="92%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH width="50%">Yes </TH><TH width="50%">No </TH></TR><TR><TD width="50%">DTC is intermittent. GO to Z19 . If other DTCs are set, SERVICE them first. </TD><TD width="50%">GO to Z16 . </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Z16 CHECK ICP SENSOR
  • Disconnect ICP sensor connector.
Does vehicle start?
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="92%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH width="50%">Yes </TH><TH width="50%">No </TH></TR><TR><TD width="50%">REPLACE ICP sensor. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST. </TD><TD width="50%">GO to Z17 . </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Z17 HIGH-PRESSURE LEAKAGE TEST
  • Reconnect ICP sensor connector.
  • Clear ICP DTCs.
  • Perform the Injection Control Pressure Leak Test per the procedures in Section 4C , Hard Start/No Start.
Is a leak fault indicated?
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="92%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH width="50%">Yes </TH><TH width="50%">No </TH></TR><TR><TD width="50%">REPAIR condition causing the leak as necessary. CLEAR DTCs. </TD><TD width="50%">GO to Z18 . </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Z18 IPR VALVE CHECK
  • Reconnect all hoses and ICP sensor.
  • Replace IPR valve.
  • Refill oil reservoir.
Does vehicle start?
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="92%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH width="50%">Yes </TH><TH width="50%">No </TH></TR><TR><TD width="50%">IPR valve was faulty. CLEAR DTCs. </TD><TD width="50%">REPLACE the high pressure pump. CLEAR DTCs. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Z19 CHECK FOR INTERMITTENT CIRCUIT FAULTS
  • Key on/engine off.
  • Access ICP PID from the PID/DATA monitor menu on the NGS Tester.
  • Grasp the vehicle harness close to the sensor connector. Wiggle, shake vehicle harness while working towards the PCM.
Does ICP reading fluctuate?
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="92%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH width="50%">Yes </TH><TH width="50%">No </TH></TR><TR><TD width="50%">REPAIR circuit as required. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST. </TD><TD width="50%">GO to Z20 . </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Z20 INSPECT IPR CIRCUIT
  • Inspect IPR circuit from IPR valve through 42-way connector to the PCM.
Are any faults indicated?
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="92%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH width="50%">Yes </TH><TH width="50%">No </TH></TR><TR><TD width="50%">REPAIR circuit as required. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST. </TD><TD width="50%">Unable to verify concern at this time. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Z21 DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P1284
  • DTC P1284 indicates that a ICP circuit failure was present while trying to perform KOER Cylinder Contribution Self Test.
  • Perform KOEO On-Demand Self Test.
Is a ICP circuit fault indicated?
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="92%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH width="50%">Yes </TH><TH width="50%">No </TH></TR><TR><TD width="50%">REFER to appropriate Pinpoint Test for ICP DTC retrieved. </TD><TD width="50%">REPLACE PCM. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Z22 CONTINUOUS DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE P1210
  • Continuous DTC P1210 indicates ICP signal voltage was greater than expected with key on during normal driving conditions.
  • Possible causes:
    • biased ICP sensor
    • open ICP signal return circuit
    • ICP signal circuit shorted to power
  • Perform KOEO On-Demand Self Test.
Are KOEO ICP codes present?
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="92%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH width="50%">Yes </TH><TH width="50%">No </TH></TR><TR><TD width="50%">SERVICE KOEO codes before continuing. If DTC P1210 is still present, GO to Z23 . </TD><TD width="50%">DTC is intermittent. GO to Z23 . </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Z23 ICP SIGNAL GROUND CIRCUIT CHECK
  • ICP sensor disconnected.
  • Key on/engine off.
  • Measure resistance between signal return Circuit 359 (GY/R) Pin A and ground.
  • Observe resistance while performing the following.
    • Grasp the harness close to the sensor connector. Wiggle and shake vehicle harness while working toward the PCM.
Does resistance value stay below 5 ohms?
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="92%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH width="50%">Yes </TH><TH width="50%">No </TH></TR><TR><TD width="50%">GO to Z24 . </TD><TD width="50%">REPAIR intermittent open in Circuit 359 (GY/R). CLEAR DTCs and RETEST. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Z24 ICP SENSOR CIRCUIT CHECK
  • Key off.
  • Reconnect ICP sensor connector.
  • Clear ICP circuit code.
  • Key on.
  • Lightly tap ICP sensor.
Does code P1210 reappear?
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="92%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH width="50%">Yes </TH><TH width="50%">No </TH></TR><TR><TD width="50%">REPLACE ICP sensor. </TD><TD width="50%">DTC is intermittent. Cannot duplicate failure at this time. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Search this Thread