6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 Smoking Blue at start up

Old 02-19-2008, 06:15 PM
goneinsixty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 Smoking Blue at start up

Well I have read as many posts as I could find that concern the 6.0 and blue smoke. I have a puff of blue smoke (not whiteish blue). Took the truck to my local dealer yesterday and they called today and said it was all taken care of and I could pick it up. They replaced the egr valve and glow plug relay. I went to pick it up about three hours later and got a puff of blue smoke at the start. Went in and told my service advisor and he got the tech that did the work. The tech told me that it is normal to blow a puff of blue on start and is due to rich fuel mixture. As far as I'm concerned, if there is blue, oil is burning. Rich mixture is black smoke. My warrantee runs out on March 5th and I am getting concerned. I am in Ulster/Orange county NY. Anyone know of a good diesel dealer close by. My advisor told me to call him tomorrow afternoon as he will do some investigating into this problem with ford. I would just like to have a back up dealer if I don't get anywhere. BTW 2003 6.0 crew cab. Any advice?
Thanks

Old 02-19-2008, 08:39 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My truck does the same thing, always has. Pretty much every 6.0 I've seen will puff a bit of blue on start up and until they are warmed up. Some days its a big cloud other days its not so big. Just slapped synthetic oil in er today so I'll see if it puffs in the morning or not and then I'll know if it is oil for me.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:40 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Also my truck consumes no oil in my 10k km's oil change intervals

Old 02-20-2008, 06:11 AM
goneinsixty
Senior User
Put synthetic in her the past two oil changes and doesn't seem to change mine. I am thinking possibly a injector O ring. But my real problem is to get my dealer to do something before my warrantee runs out. I still say if there is blue smoke than there is a problem. It may take months to see it on the dip stick because of the quantity of oil in those engines.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:19 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by goneinsixty
It may take months to see it on the dip stick because of the quantity of oil in those engines.
Well if it's coolant in the oil that is getting burned then you would actually be better to try to drain it as the coolant should be one of the first things that comes out of there, you won't see it on the dipstick unless it's mixed after you've been running it and then it's not worth it because it's mixed.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:53 AM
pullinair
Elder User
Dude, its a diesel, its gonna blow a puff of blue smoke when it is started becuase of ambient air temps and cylinder temps being so low. It is completely normal. If it smokes blue while driveing, then you have an oring that is bad. What are the temps in your area?

Old 02-20-2008, 08:38 AM
koboss1
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah its normal, all diesels do this, all my tractors do it and so do my trucks, your tech is right about the rich mixture on cold start up. stick your nose down there and smell it! then after its warmed up good, smell it again. youll see what he means by rich mixture.
drive it like ya stole it.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:00 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by koboss1
yeah its normal, all diesels do this, all my tractors do it and so do my trucks, your tech is right about the rich mixture on cold start up.
That is strange, because on my truck and all three of my tractors do not do that and my truck puffs a faint hint of black smoke on startup, not bluish smoke.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:16 AM
koboss1
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah your right Tex, on start up mine will blow black smoke,and if not plugged in chug a bit. But i do see a bit off blue smoke when it idles up in warmup mode. and my tractors if not warmed up will blow a puff of blue smoke if im in a hurry and they are not totally warmed up.
just my .02

Old 02-20-2008, 11:05 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by koboss1
and my tractors if not warmed up will blow a puff of blue smoke if im in a hurry and they are not totally warmed up.
Mine puff white, but I don't look hard enough to see if there is any bluish tint or not to it, but there very well might be. I dunno.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:18 PM
John with beastly 302
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Diesel is a light oil distillate. Like others have sad when cold, diesels will either blow a puff of blue smoke or smoke white for a while due to moisture in the exhaust system. Obviously diesel ignites in a diesel engine because of the intense heat created from the super high compressed air. When the engine is stone cold not all of the fuel is going to burn completely and your engine will be slightly louder when cold because of the dramatic temperature rise "AKA" Combustion and the colder air.

I would also think that maybe the Crankcase ventilation system contributes in that you get a SLIGHT build up of oily vapors primarily from shutdown at normal temperature when you have vapors still collecting in your intake system. Let them sit and collect over night or a few hours and maybe they contribute slightly.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:25 PM
pullinair
Elder User
Originally Posted by John with beastly 302
Diesel is a light oil distillate. Like others have sad when cold, diesels will either blow a puff of blue smoke or smoke white for a while due to moisture in the exhaust system. Obviously diesel ignites in a diesel engine because of the intense heat created from the super high compressed air. When the engine is stone cold not all of the fuel is going to burn completely and your engine will be slightly louder when cold because of the dramatic temperature rise "AKA" Combustion and the colder air.

I would also think that maybe the Crankcase ventilation system contributes in that you get a SLIGHT build up of oily vapors primarily from shutdown at normal temperature when you have vapors still collecting in your intake system. Let them sit and collect over night or a few hours and maybe they contribute slightly.
John, I have tried the scientific approach, but sometimes you cannot lead the horse to water.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:57 PM
goneinsixty
Senior User
Originally Posted by pullinair
Dude, its a diesel, its gonna blow a puff of blue smoke when it is started becuase of ambient air temps and cylinder temps being so low. It is completely normal. If it smokes blue while driveing, then you have an oring that is bad. What are the temps in your area?
Temps in my area are anywhere from zero to 35 degrees in the morning this time of year. This is the second winter that I have owned this truck but the first winter that it has blown blue smoke. Are you saying that because of the difference in temps of the air vs. the cylinder that there is oil blown by the piston rings until the motor warms up? If so it would seem to me that the blue would last a little longer than the first puff of exhaust as it would take longer for the engine to heat up.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:21 PM
blakerj10
Senior User
My 05 ford blows a lot of blue smoke on start-up especially in cold weather. Always has and dealers have never been able to fix it. Looks terrrible and stinks worse. My 05 cummins does not. My 94 6.5L with 200k does not.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:28 PM
goneinsixty
Senior User
[QUOTE=pullinair]John, I have tried the scientific approach, but sometimes you cannot lead the horse to water.[/QUOte

Strange scientific approach. Pullinair stated that it should either blow blue or white smoke. Well which one is it and why?

Seems to me that if I go to my dealer and say I want to look at a new truck and go start it in their lot that there will be no blue smoke. I would bet my last dollar on that.

So you can always lead a horse to water, you just can't make him drink.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6.0 Smoking Blue at start up