6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Turbo Cleaning????

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:48 AM
BHarris1029
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Cleaning????

So I bought a 2003 F450 with the 6.0 in it. I actually bought the truck in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" /><st1lace w:st="on"><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><st1:City w:st=[/img]Sikeston</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st=" /><st1:City w:st="on">Sikeston</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">Mo</st1:State></st1lace> from a Peterbuilt dealership. The dealership was delivering the truck c<st1lace w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">olumbus</st1:City>, o<st1:State w:st="on">hio</st1:State></st1lace> for me. Well the truck only made it 470 miles, it never made it the whole way because the driver stopped about 30 west of c<st1:City w:st="on"><st1lace w:st="on">olumbus</st1lace></st1:City> at a truck stop to get some sleep. Once the driver started driving again he stated he lost allot of power and eventually the truck died on the freeway, that’s when I got a call to tow the truck the rest of they way. So the next morning I took the truck to the graham ford in c<st1lace w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">olumbus</st1:City>, o<st1:State w:st="on">hio</st1:State></st1lace>. After doing a diagnostic on the vehicle, graham ford told me that injectors 3, 5, 7 needed replaced and the turbo needs cleaned due to carbon buildup inside of it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o> <o></o>

First off have you ever heard of a Turbo Cleaning??<o></o>

Second why after 470 miles would three injectors fail??<o></o>

Old 02-19-2008, 11:04 AM
denman81
Senior User
an 03 with only 470 miles on it!?! That truck had to do alot of sitting, between that and running the truck while the guy was sleeping I could see this happening, the turbo can be cleaned and there is a tech article somewhere on here on how to do it. The vanes in the turbo get stuck from corrosion and carbon(happens alot with trucks that have sat at dealerships for a while without running) The injectors probably have wet stacking from running for a couple of hours. Im guessing the truck dosent have all the updated flashes done to it to help prevent that. You should also look in the tech files and do the high idle mod to help prevent problems in the future too.
The injectors could have been bad from sitting so long too, the fuel could have slowly gathered alot of moisture from condensation in the tank, Im guessing that diesel seperates after that long too which could kill an injector. Could be alot of reasons but I think most of your problems contributed from it sitting for a while. While its at the dealership make them change both fuel filters and test the fuel pump to make sure you have good pressure. Id also have them do a contribution test AFTER they replace the injectors to make sure there are no other ones that are bad. I say after because sometimes replacing one will nock out one or two others that wern't bad before. (happened to my truck, had to return three times in a row to keep replacing)

Old 02-19-2008, 11:30 AM
BHarris1029
New User
Originally Posted by denman81
an 03 with only 470 miles on it!?! That truck had to do alot of sitting, between that and running the truck while the guy was sleeping I could see this happening, the turbo can be cleaned and there is a tech article somewhere on here on how to do it. The vanes in the turbo get stuck from corrosion and carbon(happens alot with trucks that have sat at dealerships for a while without running) The injectors probably have wet stacking from running for a couple of hours. Im guessing the truck dosent have all the updated flashes done to it to help prevent that. You should also look in the tech files and do the high idle mod to help prevent problems in the future too.
The injectors could have been bad from sitting so long too, the fuel could have slowly gathered alot of moisture from condensation in the tank, Im guessing that diesel seperates after that long too which could kill an injector. Could be alot of reasons but I think most of your problems contributed from it sitting for a while. While its at the dealership make them change both fuel filters and test the fuel pump to make sure you have good pressure. Id also have them do a contribution test AFTER they replace the injectors to make sure there are no other ones that are bad. I say after because sometimes replacing one will nock out one or two others that wern't bad before. (happened to my truck, had to return three times in a row to keep replacing)
thanks for the input. The truck has 150K miles on it currently. Thedealership was delievring 500 miles to columbus where i live, but the truck only made it 470. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:03 PM
denman81
Senior User
oh my bad! sorry should have read your post a little better!

Old 02-19-2008, 12:56 PM
mnmwhit
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check my sig. See where I live? :-)

My daughter works at Seekins Ford in Fairbanks. They see this alot. And on new trucks (still under warentee) this is not a covered repair. The turbo will carbon up in cold weather and cold stacking will occur in severe cold weather if you idle your truck for extended periods of time. The key is to shut the truck off. If you need it for heat, install a Wabasto heater. Or there is a high idle mod that can be done a few different ways. Using the high idle, you have to set the RPMs at 1100-1200 to prevent this problem.

If you were with your truck right now you could look at the inside of your exhaust pipe and it probably looks like it has been rhino-lined. That is carbon and unburnt diesel.
Originally Posted by BHarris1029
So I bought a 2003 F450 with the 6.0 in it. I actually bought the truck in ffice:smarttags" /><ST1lace w:st="on"><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><st1:City w:st=[/img]Sikeston</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st=" /><st1:City w:st="on">Sikeston</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">Mo</st1:State></ST1lace> from a Peterbuilt dealership. The dealership was delivering the truck c<ST1lace w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">olumbus</st1:City>, o<st1:State w:st="on">hio</st1:State></ST1lace> for me. Well the truck only made it 470 miles, it never made it the whole way because the driver stopped about 30 west of c<st1:City w:st="on"><ST1lace w:st="on">olumbus</ST1lace></st1:City> at a truck stop to get some sleep. Once the driver started driving again he stated he lost allot of power and eventually the truck died on the freeway, that’s when I got a call to tow the truck the rest of they way. So the next morning I took the truck to the graham ford in c<ST1lace w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">olumbus</st1:City>, o<st1:State w:st="on">hio</st1:State></ST1lace>. After doing a diagnostic on the vehicle, graham ford told me that injectors 3, 5, 7 needed replaced and the turbo needs cleaned due to carbon buildup inside of it.fficeffice" /><O></O> <O></O>

First off have you ever heard of a Turbo Cleaning??<O></O>

Second why after 470 miles would three injectors fail??<O></O>

Old 02-19-2008, 07:31 PM
crownvic
Junior User
Not to hijack the thread, but what do you mean that there are a number of ways to do the high idle?

Old 02-19-2008, 07:42 PM
Green_Monster
Elder User
turbo cleaning is covered under warranty if he still has one.?

Old 02-19-2008, 09:03 PM
doubledee715
Elder User
yes, I've heard of turbo cleaning. I've had my turbo cleaned. http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-06-05.php

Old 02-20-2008, 08:46 AM
mnmwhit
Elder User
1. You can install the Motorcraft idle control unit

2. can install a programed high idle switch

3. Some remote auto starts have a high idle feature

Originally Posted by crownvic
Not to hijack the thread, but what do you mean that there are a number of ways to do the high idle?

Old 02-20-2008, 08:50 AM
mnmwhit
Elder User
Not always. It does say in your owners manual not to idle your truck for extended periods of time. Our local dealership warns folks ALOT of differnt ways not to idle excessivly. They warn folks when they purchase the truck there are signs in the service dept and in the parts department.

Originally Posted by Green_Monster
turbo cleaning is covered under warranty if he still has one.?

Old 02-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Green_Monster
Elder User
still under warranty though if you push the though right? ( just asking) Most dealers worth there salt would still cover it as the same problem could happen from say, low speed city driving or continuos short trips?

Old 02-20-2008, 09:10 PM
markus arailius
Freshman User
cleaned 1 today ,ford as a carbon cleaner and you use a wire wheel to brush off the carbon build up some times there is too much to clean i got 4 of um