Sponsored by:

what brake system to use rockwell 5 ton

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 02:03 AM
78_f800crewcab4x4
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts
what brake system to use rockwell 5 ton

Soon i will be building the brake system. Mr Boyce at Boyce equipment says to use my factory booster and use his 5 ton air pack in conjunction. is this a good idea or is there a hydroboost system that i should use instead? 1978 bronco is the build subject.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:27 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
are you going to or are you already using wheel brakes? if so i would go with a hydroboost system. i have hydroboost on my bronco and i can lock up all four wheels with no problem (not always a good thing) if i stand on it. with a vacuum system i always had trouble with it and i had to pump the brakes a lot. i got my system from a superduty but they also come on new mustangs as well. make sure to get the hoses. you will prolly have to get the fitting adapters from summit racing but they aren't too expensive. also you will need to run a pressure line from your p/s pump so make sure your pump is up to the task. if you havent already swapped over i strongly suggest a saginaw pump (canned ham) b/c it can and will take the abuse.

-cutts-

Old 02-19-2008, 08:27 AM
quadzjr
just another Rockwell looser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
uhhhhh.......

pinion brakes!!!!!!

then you just leave everything stock, if you dont know where to get them i can hook you up.....not to many places do the 5 ton stuff yet.....

Old 02-19-2008, 09:32 AM
chrono4
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only issue with the pinion brakes is the streetability issue. I know its a big truck and all, but if he plans on any street driving, or even good stopping in the mud, it could pose a problem. Unless of course he is or goes fully locked, then hell go for it.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:06 AM
quadzjr
Originally Posted by chrono4
The only issue with the pinion brakes is the streetability issue. I know its a big truck and all, but if he plans on any street driving, or even good stopping in the mud, it could pose a problem. Unless of course he is or goes fully locked, then hell go for it.
who the hell is street driving with 5 ton rockwells? but even if he did, i would still remove the stock hugea$$ drums and put some discs on it....

pinion brakes stop WAY WAY better than 4 wheel disc.......everytime i drive a vehicle with pinion brakes it is a shock......they will put your head through the window.....but you have to watch out for pinion brakes if your not locked b/c it would basically be trying to stop from 1 tire.....if your welded f/r just use pinion brakes.....if your not welded, get to welding at least the rear and run pinion brakes anyways......but if your stuck on wheel brakes i can get you hooked up for some 4 wheel discs that will work with 5 tons.....

Old 02-19-2008, 10:12 AM
chrono4
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I knew the street driving comment was going to come across wrong. Even if it was just a panic stop in the mud, He would want to be fully locked with a pinion brake. No personal exprience with any of this, its all just what I've read.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:16 AM
quadzjr
Originally Posted by chrono4
Well, I knew the street driving comment was going to come across wrong. Even if it was just a panic stop in the mud, He would want to be fully locked with a pinion brake. No personal exprience with any of this, its all just what I've read.
agreed.....thats why alot of people that dont just lock the rear and just run the single pinion brake on the rear......and it stops plenty for a 10k+lb truck....

Old 02-19-2008, 11:11 AM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys the OP of this thread is the guy with the 4 door bronco on the rocks i showed in the minion thread.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:19 AM
quadzjr
i that case.....go with the 4 wheel disc and hydroboost.....

well, seeing that hes a mawl crawler he could get away with running the stock drums.....

Old 02-19-2008, 02:02 PM
78250crewcab4x4
Senior User
I've heard pinion brakes work excellent, but don't you have to have 1 brake assembly per wheel?

and could you run wheel brakes and a pinion brake for legality AND crazy stopping ability?

Old 02-19-2008, 02:15 PM
78_f800crewcab4x4
Cargo Master
wow thanks for all the feedback, i didnt even notice this thread until crazy redneck said something. anyhow, heres the list:
i do not want pinion brakes.
1: i am going to offroad the carp out of this thing, and take pictures as soon as its done, wheeling the nevada trails.
2:do not be fooled by the nice paint. i dont care about scratches. notice theres no intentional ''BLING". i would have camoflaged it if it werent for the fact that i have never had a vehicle that loocked nice, and i do like nice looking vehicles.
3: chrome on the hood hinges is there only to eliminate corrosion. (powdercoating would not fill in all the crevices).
4: yes i am going to drive this on the street. the planet is covered with streets, i want to drive on them.
5: only the rear has a detroit locker.

4 wheel discs you say? i am very interested.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:21 PM
78_f800crewcab4x4
Cargo Master
what years of super duty have the best hydroboost system?

Old 02-19-2008, 02:22 PM
78250crewcab4x4
Senior User
Originally Posted by 78_f800crewcab4x4
1: i am going to offroad the carp out of this thing,
My truck was full of carp when I bought it, but a few good wheelin' trips should pretty well clean those out, just avoid water, to prevent a reinfestation

Glad to hear it won't be a cakemobile, again, I'm jealous

Old 02-19-2008, 05:53 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
what years of super duty have the best hydroboost system?
they are pretty much the same unit. trust me, it wont matter! they are very nice systems!

-cutts-

Old 02-19-2008, 07:27 PM
quadzjr
wow thanks for all the feedback, i didnt even notice this thread until crazy redneck said something. anyhow, heres the list:
i do not want pinion brakes.
1: i am going to offroad the carp out of this thing, and take pictures as soon as its done, wheeling the nevada trails.
2:do not be fooled by the nice paint. i dont care about scratches. notice theres no intentional ''BLING". i would have camoflaged it if it werent for the fact that i have never had a vehicle that loocked nice, and i do like nice looking vehicles.
3: chrome on the hood hinges is there only to eliminate corrosion. (powdercoating would not fill in all the crevices).
4: yes i am going to drive this on the street. the planet is covered with streets, i want to drive on them.
5: only the rear has a detroit locker.

4 wheel discs you say? i am very interested.
ok, if your running on the street, you have to have a brake on all 4 corners......at least in FL......so in theory, the stock drums would work just fine......BUT, since you are going to wheel it, ("supposedly") i wouldn't want to keep the drums, to much mud and dirt to get it them and then your brakes suck.....there are no kits available right now from a manufacture but i know they are possible just like the disks im using on my 2.5 tons......if your interested in 4 wheel discs ill give you a guys # and you can talk to him about it.....he is VERY well know in 5 ton rockwell parts especially in FL....

Quick Reply: what brake system to use rockwell 5 ton