Sponsored by:

Off Road Recovery/Safety

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 08:43 PM
ford12508
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Off Road Recovery/Safety

I, along with probably many others, love to take the vehicle off the road, but getting stuck sucks. I know some are thinking "if you don't know how to get out, you shouldn't be offroading," and others are thinking "Everyone already knows this," but not everyone does, and up until I saw a recent thread, my recovery equipment included some chain, 2 hooks, and a shovel. I am basically making this thread as a list for every component someone would want while being stuck to get themselves loose. If you have any others, please share them.

(2) 20 ft grade 100 chains Cinch on one end, grade 100 3/8" clevis sling hook on the other end*
-----My understanding of this is very strong chain with hooks on the end for pulling people out, quite simple and basic

(2) High Capacity Tow Straps
----As LannonDiesel advised, Chain can snap and hurt people, a snapped strap wont come through a window and impale you.

(2) 25 Foot line of Barge/Dredge work rope
----This stuff is extremely strong, and is a safer recovery method than something made of metal, because it has a lower potential energy before breaking and a lower kinetic energy once broken. What this means is that if it hits you, it would break bones.

(1) Grade 100 5/8" master link
-----Can be used to hook chains/straps/other equipment together, again, pretty basic

(1) D grip shovel fiberglass handle
-----For digging out some loose ground around the tires so they are not trapped in holes, basic.

(1) Tru temper Axe
-----Either get something off the trail, or cut up some branches or logs to stick under tires for traction.

(6) 7 Ton WLL Bow Shackles 3/4"
----Hook together straps/chains

(2) Expeditonware tree straps
----Trees are very sturdy(most of the time) so using one as an anchor could work to your advantage

(2) Logging Choker Cables
----An alternative to tree straps, this uses a braided steel cable to hold on to the tree

(1) Warn reciever shackle
----To help pull yourself or someone else out

(1) Folding Bow saw
----To cut potential hazards in the road

(1) Small Chain Saw
----For the things in life that a bow saw can't cut, use a chain saw

(1) 5 Gallon container with fuel
----Some for the chain saw and some for a vehicle in case anyone wasn't watching close enough

(1) 2 Cycle Engine Oil
----Just if you bring the chainsaw along, bring this in case you need more gas

(1) Estwing hatchet
----To cut up potential hazards in the road

(3) Heavy Duty ****** Block
----To reroute your winch or pull pal to an angle if need be. For those of you who still don't understand, it is basically a pulley

(1) 14000 Pull pal with case
----For the man without the winch

(2) ABC Fire Extinguishers
----Just incase the fuel line breaks

(1) spare winch remote
----I guess incase the first one gets destroyed in the heat of battle

(1) 10 ton bottle jack
----To lift basically anything that could need lifting

(1) 12X12 1 inch thick ply base for Hi-lift
----So the jack doesn't sink into the ground when you start lifting a heavy vehicle on soft dirt

(1) Exhaust Jack
----Sandy areas do not provide much support for standard jacks, but will work much better with a high surface area air bag

(1) Extreme HI-LIFT 60" with case
----Good offroading jack with extreme height capabilities where solid ground might be more than 15" away, or when you are hung up on something and you need to life the vehicle off it.

(1) Hi-Lift off road Kit
----Basic necessities for offroading, seems unnecessary since as stated elsewhere we already have chain, gloves, straps, and everything we need, but guess what! It is necessary, because when you need the extra chains for some reason, but decided not to bring this, you are going to have to start phoning people

(1) Hi-lift spares kit
----I couldn't find what this was

(1) Hi-lift Lift-Mate
----Lift from the wheel when the frame isnt an option

(1) ARB tire repair kit
----When you pop the spare on the same piece of metal that popped the first tire, you can plug the hole

(2) pair of leather work gloves
----So your hands dont get cut up in certain situations outside the vehicle

(1) hand pick/maddox
----More means to dig yourself out

(1) Topographical handheld GPS (topo maps and compass backup)
----So you can find that guy who said "Yea its about a mile up on the right, just go down that road, you can't miss it," and what you couldn't miss was a swamp haha

(2) 10 Led Flashlights
----To see what you are doing in the dark, and to have multiple lights that can be placed around work area so you can use both hands to work in the dark

(1) Cell Phone with Charger
----"Hey hun, I might be late for dinner, the truck went underwater and didn't come back up yet! Didn't that sales guy say the truck was like fish when it comes to water?"

(1) CB Radio
----Yes it is important to have a CB radio, and while many people put it under their head unit or below the dash, if you are off roading, try to mount it up higher, so when the water comes in the doors, you can still use it

*So it seems the general consensus is that chain is bad, so if you use it, use it at your own risk!

Someone recently made this list, and I basically laid out why you would want each of these items. The Item(s) below I do not know what it would be used for, so if someone could enlighten me, that would be very nice. Thanks again, and I forget whose list this is/was, but thanks for the basic outline for this thread.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:36 PM
lannondiesel
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great list, good reminder of what everyone should have! Only thing I dont disagree with is the fact that getting stuck sucks. Its half the fun as long as its not you stuck. As long as you are prepared and SAFE, getting stuck doesnt always have to be terrible. I love watching recoveries. again great list. I havent seen chains on the trails in a long time. Every recovery i have seen in the last 5 years has been with very large, very oversized straps. I have seen 3 people sent to the hospital when a chain snapped and went through a windshield or back window. I am sure those were not the grade 100 chains you have suggested though.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:51 PM
73 ford guy
Postmaster
I stay away from using chains as well. I have logging 5/8 choker cables I use with recovery straps. As far as ****** blocks I think they are one of the most impotant tools on the trail combined with a winch. I've had so many situations where I needed to re route the dircetion of my pull or double or triple my pull power to get out of almost anything!! I recently used my front winch combined with 2 ****** blocks to pull my new cab onto my truck.

If you dont know how they work you should give this a read ****** Block Basics

Old 04-26-2010, 09:56 PM
ford12508
Senior User
Thanks for the info so far, I will keep the list updated!

Old 04-27-2010, 01:13 AM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
whether it be chain, cable, or strap, a weight will kill the shock of a break. this chit has been covered twice a year by every 4x4 mag on the rack whenever they need filler. but i'll go along with it. chain isn't bad, but it shouldn't be your only option. location has alot to do with it,too. around me, people use a lot of barge rope because we're right along the river. cable sucks if it isn't cinched right, so take that into consideration cause cable makes real clean cuts through people and such when it snaps under load. don't forget cell phone, with charger, as well as that cb radio you kept putting off installing. climate appropriate spare clothing and it goes on.............

Old 04-27-2010, 04:15 AM
Bender99
Senior User
Chains are terrible. Dont use em. They dont hold up, they break, links fly, hurt people, shock the chit out of both vehichles and dont help in the recovery.

Recovery straps and ropes are the way to go.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:18 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Good list - I will add this to the tech thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Prozon
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ford12508
(2) 20 ft grade 100 chains Cinch on one end, grade 100 3/8" clevis sling hook on the other end*
-----My understanding of this is very strong chain with hooks on the end for pulling people out, quite simple and basic.
*So it seems the general consensus is that chain is bad, so if you use it, use it at your own risk!*
Chain should be just fine if your not snatching. Steady pulls they should hold up..

(2) Logging Choker Cables
----An alternative to tree straps, this uses a braided steel cable to hold on to the tree
Generally I don't care. But logging for awhile I have kind of noticed they can really tear up tree's. So if you find one of those enviromental people, try to keep them aside. A "tree saver" strap would be better.

(2) ABC Fire Extinguishers
----Just incase the fuel line breaks
Or anything else! Oil can start a fire too. (Ask me how I know.) :P

(1) spare winch remote
----I guess incase the first one gets destroyed in the heat of battle
Or you could just wire in a switch to the cab lol.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:19 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Oh, and I usually carry a small chain saw and a 5gal can of gas (just in case someone runs out of juice, or for the saw, should it be a big tree!)

And I almost forgot a cable energy absorber (in case you are pulling with cable), and an exhaust jack can be real useful if you are wheeling in sand (or other soft stuff).

Last edited by BigF350; 04-27-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:17 PM
thx1138
Junior User
Hey Guys,

The first on the list ought to be a decent first-aid kit.

Probably the type meant for industrial use or for campers and hikers (not housewife) and get a snake bite kit. Snake kit might sound crazy, but there are rattlers even in southern Ohio (thanks to ODNR). I also add more heavy pads and tape, as I keep my 'Tim Allen Frequent Bleeder' card current and ready. (except thumb should be red and throbbing)

Jim

Old 01-13-2011, 11:30 PM
blueovelboy
Elder User
Originally Posted by thx1138
Hey Guys,

The first on the list ought to be a decent first-aid kit.

Probably the type meant for industrial use or for campers and hikers (not housewife) and get a snake bite kit. Snake kit might sound crazy, but there are rattlers even in southern Ohio (thanks to ODNR). I also add more heavy pads and tape, as I keep my 'Tim Allen Frequent Bleeder' card current and ready. (except thumb should be red and throbbing)

Jim
x 2 good call on the first aid kits! you never know when you might get a boo boo.
plus i wood bring a good thermal blanket. the hiking kind
plenty of water for drinking!
flash lights are always a good call.
pocket knife / survival type
matches or a good lighter or even steel wool and a 9 volt battery to start a fire if you get stuck over nite and temps drop you'll be glad!

Old 01-14-2011, 12:23 AM
Prozon
Postmaster
I have two first aid kits in my wheeling rig. Have one in my DD too, I think it came with it, except yesterday I cut two of my fingers and I went looking for a bandaid, only to find the stupid *** kit didn't have any. It has a LARGE bandage, if I were to have been shot or something, a frickin respirator thing, a sling, other random crap incase i'm maimed, but no simple little bandaids.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Team Danger
Senior User
Dont forget having solid tow points on your rig.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:56 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
As a side note on first aid kits, like Prozon mentioned, take a look inside and modify it to your needs. Most small kits don't have large pads that might be needed for serious bleeding. Also make sure you replenish them regularly, so that when you need a bandaid, you'll have it.

I'm not an off-roader, but looking at that list, there seems to be some un-needed redundancy. There is no reason to carry an axe, a hatchet, and a bow saw. Especially if you have a chainsaw as well. At most I would say two out of the three. Axe's are much more useful in most situations than a bow saw. And a hatchet is just a baby axe, and more likely to chop off your shin if mishandled.

Use tree straps, not choker cable. Cable kills trees, if you kill the tree, it can't save your truck next time you're stuck.

Definitely bring a blanket or two. As stated, drape them over the winch cable or chain to weigh them down and lessen backlash if they break. And if you get stuck overnight, blanket keeps you warm. Can also be used with two sticks to make a stretcher if needed.

Lastly, I'd add in some water bottles and a couple MRE's. Again good if you need to stay the night. Plus the water can be used to top off a radiator.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-18-2011, 12:50 PM
nitrogen
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 65 Posts
box of heavy duty surgical gloves. easier to discard after a repair than cleaning your hands. and keeps the chemicals off your skin. lots of mechanics supply places now carry oil absorbing "diapers" great for soaking up oil spills on the trail to reduce the pollution. couple garbage bags to haul out trash and oily diapers etc. fast orange bar soap does a great clean up too

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: Off Road Recovery/Safety