2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeek when cold.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 06:04 PM
fireman28
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Squeek when cold.

My truck is making a squeek when cold. I don't typically hear it when in not moving. And it is usually only at low speeds. That is until last week in Dallas when it was cold and I was towing a trailer, I was able to hear it all the time. I took it to the dealer and left it so they could drive it first thing in the morning, to be able to hear it. That was last Thursday and on Friday I got a call from my service guy and he was able to hear it, I took it in a few weeks ago and they didn't hear it. I got word today that they should now more in the morning, but they think it is some seal in the tranny that binds. They said this is somewhat common. I guess we will see.

So in short if you are hearing a noise like this make them check it out and find it.

I will let everyone know if this is the problem or something worse.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:38 PM
fireman28
Elder User
Ok. Got word back from the dealer today and it isn't the input shaft seal as they thought. They have now called Ford to get their help. Has anyone else has any noise like this or maybe have any ideas as to what this could be? I can usually hear it when cold and driving under 15 - 20 mph. After that the wind noise kills it. Then last week while cold out and pulling a trailer I could hear it all day and in park as well as drive. Any help would be great.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:24 PM
fireman28
Elder User
Finally got my truck back after a little more than a week. It turned out that the output shaft thrust bearing was pitted pretty badly. This is what was causing the noise. So far it seems to be fixed. I will keep my fingers crossed.