Sponsored by: Moser

Fantasy of driving to alaska

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Redcoat
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fantasy of driving to alaska

Hello, i have this crazy fantasy. My idea is to buy a diesel F-150 in a few years and go on a long exciting road trip from New England to Alaska, almost 5,000 miles each way. Has anyone ever done something like this? I figured it would be interesting to drive through BC and see sights and such. Would this be a foolish/wasteful thing to do, put (almost/over) 10,000 miles on a new vehicle. I thought a truck like this might be a good travel vehicle because 1, it will be relatively fuel efficient (i hope) and 2 it will be able to hold plenty of cargo.

or perhaps this is just that, a fantasy. regardless i am interested in the diesel F-150, if it could get at least 22mpg Id be real happy with it.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:58 PM
gui88ford
Posting Guru
my cousin is stationed in Alaska and he drove from SE PA to Alaska i think 2 times. He said it's a long haul but not terrible because the scenery is beautiful.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it'd be stupid to only do it if you can get a diesel.....the cost of diesel vs. gas isn't going to really save you that much...just go do it as soon as you can....

Old 02-18-2008, 10:17 PM
bluedevil3758
Senior User
yea if you really wanna do it dont put limitations on it like only in a deisel or only if gas is $xxx etc or youll never go, the new 6spd should help on the highway and i think a screw 6.5 will have all the room you could ask for

and its not a waste if u really wanna do it, guys spend countless amounts of money hunting skiing working on cars, sometimes u just gotta do what makes u happy, and 10k miles is nothing

Old 02-24-2008, 06:08 PM
Powerdude
Elder User
Whatever new F150 diesel will be introduced will be USLD.

Canada will probably have USLD, for an exorbitant price. Just don't take it down to Mexico.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:15 AM
jamesoja
Freshman User
We will be making the haul to AK this summer from the southwest over 4k miles, then again we are being stationed up there and we cant wait! Have to hit Glacier National Park on the way up, who knows how long the glaciers will still be around. The dream is to be doing the trip in an 08 PSD, since the 09 diesel wont be out. I dont think our 97 Expedition will survive with over 200k on the clock now.

Go for it!

Old 02-26-2008, 09:31 AM
dascro
Senior User
I always had that dream too. Except I put it off for whatever reasons for several years. Now with a full time job and other obligations I just can't get the time off. My advise to you is go while you have the chance. Don't let a new truck, expensive gas or anything stop you.

There is some interesting reading on the web about that. Several people wrote journels telling about their trip. The 2 that I remember are a group of guys on harley davidson motor cycles and a group that drove up in the winter.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:19 AM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Powerdude
Whatever new F150 diesel will be introduced will be USLD.

Canada will probably have USLD, for an exorbitant price. Just don't take it down to Mexico.
diesel is cheaper then regular gas where I live right now which is just outside of Calgary and it is ULSD

Old 02-26-2008, 11:32 AM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Do it. I've been wanting to do the same thing. I'll probably do it after retirement though. (Only 49 for me if I stay 5 extra years!)

I wouldn't let anything stop you as far as vehicle is concerned if you can otherwise go. I don't understand why people don't want to drive thier vehicles places. If you're trying to keep the value up with a new vehicle, you're kidding yourself. As soon as you sign the papers, it's used and you just essentially set a stack of many 100 dollar bills on fire.

Mike

Old 02-28-2008, 08:24 PM
rangerfan
Posting Guru
In 2001 I ETS'd from the Army and my last duty station was in Anchorage. We (father-in-law and I) left on a Monday evening after I signed out. We drove from Anchorage to the Cincinnati area in just over 4 days. We would take turns driving on gas fill-ups.

A lot of the ALCAN Hwy is gravel. When you pass a semi on the gravel (both of you going 60+ MPH) you can watch the rocks fly to your windshied. It was so bad that when we came through Great Falls MT I had to have a new windshield put in.

We didn't really see the sights because I had to be in St Louis MO to pick up our other vehicle (which we had shipped) by close of business that Friday evening. If not I would've had to wait in St Louis to get my truck on the following Monday.

We got into St Louis on Friday morning and picked up my other vehicle and we followed each other the rest of the way home. I believe we did it in 4 days and 15 hours.

We lost about 3 hours in Montana getting a new windshield and about 2 hours in St Louis.

We had a great time and it was a real bonding experience for us. Before we were just casual.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:59 PM
jamesoja
Freshman User
Sounds like a good journey Duane. There is no way we will be doing it in 4 days this summer. If we get their in 10, Ill be surprised. All I hear from the peanut gallery is.."4000k miles 90hours blah blah blah..." This time were in it as a team, Im done with shipping one, flying the other crew while I drive. Sack up team, were hitting the road!

Yeah I'm a bit pumped for it and we still have a few months to go. Thanks for letting me air the laundry!

Old 02-28-2008, 11:38 PM
coatit
Senior User
Smile

while your dreaming order yourself a copy of: THE MILEPOST
www.themilepost.com
a great guide book of the north country, you'll want one for the trip so you just as well start reading now, so you can start planning well spent $25

Old 03-04-2008, 08:52 PM
needhelp49
Elder User
wow am i old cause that sounds like a fun ride

Old 03-08-2008, 02:30 AM
06FX4offroad
New User
Hey there guys just joined to forum, this is my first post. <O</O

Anyways my brother is in the Army and PCS from Fairbanks, AK to Fort Campbell, KT. He purchased a 03 Dodge CrewCab Longbed Turbo Diesel to pull a 24' Englosed Car Hauler here in Michigan to drive back to Alaska to carry all of his stuff. You may be wondering why he would buy a truck and trailer in Michigan instead of buying it in Alaska. Trailers in Alaska cost twice as much, no joke and vehicles cost substantially more for obvious reasons.

We drove from Michigan in December '06 and took us a little over 4 days (3700 miles) and then I flew back there and drove back with him in February '07. On the way back we had the trailer full with a '77 Power Wagon and all of his stuff, maxing out the GCWR +. Anyways the scenery was awesome and we took lots of pictures. I have always been close to my brother but this was a good bonding experience never the less. Since we drove there in the winter the roads throughout the Rocky Mountains were snow and ice covered but still drove 65-70 but those semi drivers are nuts, they will pass you going 75-80. I would love to do it again but in the summer and take my time and really do some sight seeing. It is a unique experience and would defiantly recommend it. The downside is the mountains are full of stones and gravel so your truck and windshield will take a beating. I would however hate to see you buy a brand new and have it all chipped up. <O</O

Old 03-08-2008, 07:30 AM
kotzy
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A great ride, did it this past year. Yes you'll hit some bad spots with the gravel, but the sights from entering BC north just beyond imagination. Fuel prices on Alcan one stop out of Watson Lake 6.00 a gallon. That was in late July and early Aug. Milepost was a great help. kotzy

Quick Reply: Fantasy of driving to alaska