2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edge w/ supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 01:07 AM
43Duc
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge w/ supercharger

I posted this in the supercharger section, but got no response, so I thought I'd run it here:

I have a 2006 F-150 5.4 w/ a Magnacharger w/ Magnaflow exhaust. The ECU runs a custom program for the the charger and I don't want to change that. However, I'd like to be able to monitor the various systems that the Edge can do. I was going to get some gauges, but the costs began to outweigh the cost of the Edge.

The question is this: can I run the Edge without having it alter my current program? I don't want to screw up the custom map. I just want the guages and ability to read codes.

Thanks!
-chris

Old 02-18-2008, 03:49 AM
ford-lover
Senior User
I purchased the Edge in August 2007 for my new 07 F150 XLT SCAB 5.4L. I stay with the stock program (level 0) and only use the Edge to monitor other parameters ( scar of voiding the warranty).

Based on that, I think you are okay.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:20 AM
JimTex
Senior User
Originally Posted by ford-lover
I purchased the Edge in August 2007 for my new 07 F150 XLT SCAB 5.4L. I stay with the stock program (level 0) and only use the Edge to monitor other parameters ( scar of voiding the warranty).

Based on that, I think you are okay.
Now that is some crazy self control! I didn't buy the Edge until my warranty was nearly out. Put it on at 31,000 miles and 33,000 mile later, don't think I could drive my truck on the stock program any length of time.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:07 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that with the Edge set on the stock program, it's actually writing that program to the PCM. Think about it, when you flip it from a performance program back to stock, it re-writes all those parameters so the engine runs stock. It's obviously changing something.

I'd be worried it was going to overwrite everything.

I do bet you could get an Edge dealer to copy your parameters onto a custom program and just run that one.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:26 AM
BandBFord
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This may work...

Check out the MSD Dashhawk... It gives similar monitoring capabilites as the Edge without the programming features...

http://www.dashhawk.com/

Old 02-18-2008, 09:30 AM
JimTex
Senior User
Originally Posted by RangerPilot
I think that with the Edge set on the stock program, it's actually writing that program to the PCM. Think about it, when you flip it from a performance program back to stock, it re-writes all those parameters so the engine runs stock. It's obviously changing something.

I'd be worried it was going to overwrite everything.

I do bet you could get an Edge dealer to copy your parameters onto a custom program and just run that one.
I don't think it does if all you do is hook it up and set the gauges to what you want on the display. I think you would have to load one of the 3 programs it offers for it to change anything. But, I don't know anything.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:19 PM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JimTex
I don't think it does if all you do is hook it up and set the gauges to what you want on the display. I think you would have to load one of the 3 programs it offers for it to change anything. But, I don't know anything.
x2..... all you would have to do at first it acknowledge the legal disclaimer (i think it posts the first 5 times it starts).... then you can monitor whatever you want without doing any programming at all.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:35 PM
mrpositraction
Tuned
I got all my gauges for $100 and my wideband (edge can't do that) for $300. Unless you like the look I would just get the gauges.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:07 PM
ford-lover
Senior User
You guys are right .... It drives me crazy for sitting on stock program with the edge. However, I want to run the truck for another season to make sure that there is no bugs then I will go to level 2. Believe me, my finger is very itchy to push that little button.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:47 PM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
the nice thing about getting the edge though, is that it is a lot easier and faster than hooking up seperate mechanical/electrical gauges.

as for using the edge on stock to avoid warranty problems... i wouldnt worry about it.. unless you use level 3 and mess with the settings without doing it correctly. if you run the required fuel for the level you pick, you should be fine... there are too many edge users out there doing just fine to think otherwise.

and what is a wideband???

Old 02-18-2008, 09:35 PM
43Duc
Junior User
Originally Posted by mattd17
as for using the edge on stock to avoid warranty problems... i wouldnt worry about it.. unless you use level 3 and mess with the settings without doing it correctly. if you run the required fuel for the level you pick, you should be fine... there are too many edge users out there doing just fine to think otherwise.
I'm not concerned about warranty. My concern is altering the custom program my truck is already running for the supercharger. I just want to guage featurs and code reading abilities.

My Edge arrived today and according to the manual I should have no problems.

Does anyone know where to get the proper paint to match my dash for the pod?

Old 02-19-2008, 01:12 AM
ford-lover
Senior User
Hey 43Duc,

If your interior is "grey". Please check out the following post ....

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...e-evo-pod.html

Old 02-19-2008, 09:06 AM
43Duc
Junior User
Originally Posted by ford-lover
Hey 43Duc,

If your interior is "grey". Please check out the following post ....

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...e-evo-pod.html
Thanks! That'll do it!