2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4WD snappin' & poppin"

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Ole'Blu
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4WD snappin' & poppin"

Greetings all,

Been a while since I logged in but you know how the Marines are...always movin...glad to be back. Anyways, just the other day after it had snowed here in the mountains, I attempted to use my 4WD in my 2005 Screw, and I don't know whether or not it's because I was on an incline but I heard it engage. When I started to go in reverse, I heard some snappin' and poppin' sounds coming from what sounded to be the transfer case, and as soon as I let off of the gas it felt like someone hit me from the rear pretty hard. Today, I put it on level ground and found the transfer case fluid was low, so I filled it, and took it out to test it. The 4WD engaged just fine, but as I accelerated with my window down, I could still hear the snappin' and poppin' sounds...now that's in 4L and 4H. Is this normal, or should I be looking into something else? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Joe

Old 02-17-2008, 08:43 PM
slappysdump
Senior User
Sounds like the u-joint(s) on the front driveshaft may need replaced. I get mine replaced about every other year because plowing snow eats them up quick.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:36 PM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
how loud is the noise? sounds like it could also be your IWE's.... maybe you have some moisture in your vacuum lines to the hubs, causing only a partial engagement of the hubs...... just a quick thought to check.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Ole'Blu
Freshman User
Thanks for the responses. The sound the first time when I was trying to back up a hill in the snow was quite loud...it happened as I was letting off of the gas, and as I said before, it felt as if someone was hitting me from the rear. The more gas I gave it the harder the hit. But, yesterday I engaged the 4WD, and I only heard noise coming from what sounded like the transfer case and it wasn't very loud, just a poppin' sound as I started to accelerate and move forward.