1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Question about EGT's

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 12:49 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
Question about EGT's

I'm asking about my Dad's '96 7.3. It's mostly stock, but has a K&N air filter, an Edge Evolution on program 1, a modified down pipe, and all the material inside the cat mysteriously fell out when we pounded on it with a crow bar and sledge hammer.

We're getting ready for towing the 5th wheel. It weighs about 8500 pounds and has a pretty big wind signature. When towing flat at 60 MPH, his EGT runs up around 750-800 degree's. Even the slightest incline easily pushes it over 800 and into the yellow on the gauge (after turbo temps).

My memory isn't what it used to be, but I swear we pulled that 5'er up the Willamette pass and across the desert when we moved it over here a couple years ago and I don't recall being concerned about the temps at that time. It seems like something has changed since then. This was before we gutted the cat.

What I'm wondering is if anyone can tell me if I'm seeing something abnormal, or is this just the way it is? I was wondering if gutting the cat was causing turbulence and adding additional back pressure. We disconnected the cat and ran it with just the downpipe, no cat, exhaust or muffler, and we didn't really see any difference.

I've also wondered if the 7.3 turbo's clogged up with soot like the 6.0's apparently do. It seems to boost OK though.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:01 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The turbo can't clog up the like 6.0's because our turbo's do not have variable veins.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:02 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a rule of thumb 900 is the red line for post turbo temps. make sure the air filter is clean (BTW K+N's cab be bad news!!!) and the clamps are tight on the y-pipe to head boots. And make sure there are no pre turbo exhaust leaks.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's not too bad but could be better. IMO 900 after the turbo should be the upper limits for your EGT's besides...Edge = High EGT's....
Is Position 1 set for towing?
How much boost?

Maybe that K&N needs cleaning. I had a bird build a nest in my stock air box when I first got the truck...made the EGT's skyrocket and performance fall in the toilet.