1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A New Twist on the Marinco Block Heater Plug

Old 02-16-2008, 08:39 PM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
A New Twist on the Marinco Block Heater Plug

I encased my Marinco plug in 2" black ABS. The Marinco housing threads right into a 2" T fitting. I included a switch at the top, with a weatherproof boot. I also wired in an onboard, waterproof Deltran battery tender. The battery tender is hard-wired as always on. The block heater is wired through the switch, which allows me to turn it off, while leaving the battery tender running (I ride a motorcycle in the summer, and sometimes the truck can sit for a week or more).

You can't see the battery tender in the picture, it is mounted behind the driver's side headlight. The LED on the tender shows through the gap between the headlight and grille.

Attached Images   
Old 02-16-2008, 08:42 PM
huntinzombie
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:46 PM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Thank you! I might add that it was late in the day, and my camera flash went off when I took the picture showing it installed. In reality, it is not nearly that visible; it is actually hardly noticable.

I also tucked that black wiring duct back out of sight.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:57 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is this battery tender designed to ride along in machines and endure vibration and heat? Is the voltage set point for AGM batteries or lead acid?

I think the idea is really cool!

Last edited by QwkTrip; 02-16-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:08 PM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
Is this battery tender designed to ride along in machines and endure vibration and heat? If so, that's just cool and I want one!
Well, that is an excellent question. I am guessing the Deltran engineers would say "Uh, maybe", and their lawyers would say "NO"! Heh heh...

But, the thing is fully encapsulated in solid epoxy potting compound, and I placed it behind the headlight, well away from the heat of the engine and radiator. It is separated from both by a solid wall of metal, and another of plastic. I have a fairly high confidence level about it.

I still may go back in and put a low-amperage fuse (1A) in the primary side of the charger, in case it ever fails for some reason.

This is the charger I used:

http://batterytender.com/product_info.php?products_id=36&osCsid=cfd985c374a 788a7e8cccc6639914cd1

BTW, I just went out and looked at it in the dark, and the headlight bezel picks up the light from the charger LED. It almost looks like a parking light is on.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:31 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Seems pretty decent and they make some pretty strong claims.

How did you connect to the battery? Did you cut off the leads and add a terminal ring and connect to a power distribution block? I would probably isolate it when the key switch is in the ON position or use a diode in the charging circuit. It may not be designed to handle voltage spikes or load dump from the truck electrical system.

I really like this idea. This winter I've been wondering about the same type of thing. It seems a shame to have this A/C plug on board and not be able to charge batteries. You're very creative!

Last edited by QwkTrip; 02-16-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:47 PM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
How did you connect to the battery? Did you cut off the leads and add a terminal ring and connect to a power distribution block?
I hard-wired it, shortening the leads to length, and deleting the little connector they include (for disconnecting it from the vehicle in normal, outboard use). I did retain the cool little inline DC fuse holder that came with it. I used ring terminals right on the driver's side battery, and soldered and heatshrinked all of the splices.

I would probably isolate it when the key switch is in the ON position because it may not be designed to handle voltage spikes or load dump from the truck electrical system.
Hmmm, that is good thinking. I hadn't really considered load dump spikes. I have to believe they designed this thing to withstand people starting the car up with it still connected.

Here's a thought: How about a relay with a 110V coil that comes on when you plug in the cord, and makes the connection to the battery? Dang, wish I'd have thought of that at the beginning

One thing I did do was measure the current it draws back from the battery when not charging. 0.4 milliamps.

I really like this idea. This winter I've been wondering about the same type of thing. It seems a shame to have this A/C plug on board and not be able to charge batteries.
Thanks. I thought of it on a recent ski trip, when my truck was parked for days in 10 degree weather. I thought it would be cool to trickle charge the batteries for the whole time I was there, but then switch on the block heater the night before I left. Now I can!

Bonus: The plug is waist-high. No more bending over.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:09 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Relay is a good idea. This one is getting bookmarked for future reference.