Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Senior User

straightsixer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Trailer wiring diagram

Is there a source for diagram and wire colors for hooking up a round 6-prong plug, other then my Haynes manual??? There are two round empty male plugs with 4 wires going to each one under the left corner of the rear bumper. I put a volt meter on them and one of the plugs appear to be for the blinkers so I know I'm getting warm. These plugs are badly rusted and I will replace them but I'd like a diagram to work off of.
Thanks
Old 02-15-2008, 07:21 PM
Posting Legend

BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
Do a search in this Forum...it's been posted a while back.

2007 Arctic Fox 30' Fifth Wheel
2012 VW Passat SE TDI - SG-II (An ALL-DIESEL family)
Old 02-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Posting Guru

grafekie is starting off with a positive reputation.
There are SEVERAL standards for the six-pin round plug. That's why most people switch to the seven pin RV plug instead.

2002 F150 SuperCab Short Bed FX4 5.4L V8 Firestone Load Level Air Suspension - totalled by Spradley Barr Ford
1995 K3500 Regular cab 8' bed 4x4 6.5L
2007 Featherlite 8413 20x7x7' Stock Trailer
Old 02-15-2008, 07:51 PM
Pestiferous Nuisance

Greywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputation
BINGO!

no sense re-doing a fine diagram - here is a link:

http://www.accessconnect.com/trailer_wiring_diagram.htm

A problem seems to exist with six-way connectors, because you can pretty much wire them for whatever you want them to do. In other words - the chances of any two of them being wired alike are slim...

Industry standard is the seven-way, or four-way flat.

The five way flat is sometimes used to give an extra wire for auxiliary power, backup lights, or whatever - so you never know what a prior owner of a truck or trailer has done with one of those either without testing the extra wire to discover it's function.

Last edited by Greywolf; 02-15-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:28 PM
Post Fiend

F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
As usual Greywolf has provided excellent information with his link. The 2 different wiring options you will see on the 6 way plug will be having the brake wire & 12v power wire reversed. If you hook up to a trailer and the brakes come on, those 2 wires are reversed. This is the only variation on the 6 way plug I have seen, since RT, LT, TM, GD are standard labels.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
Old 02-18-2008, 07:48 AM
Pestiferous Nuisance

Greywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputation
Gotcher back! SEMPER FI...
Old 07-31-2011, 07:56 PM
New User

steve1954 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am using a 7 pin plug on 05 f-250sd and the same on my gooseneck horse trailer. The wiring on the truck was so messed up I gave up on it and took it to a rv dealer and 67.00 later everything works, except, with the 03 2500hd silverado I used to pull the rig with, I also had full time interior lites. Now with the Ford, I have to have the key on to use the interior lites. Talking to other local Ford owners, they also have to do the same. My question is, Do I need to run a separate wire for full time power to the plug? or is there another option, Thanks again
Old 07-31-2011, 08:44 PM
Post Fiend

dchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputation
Put a small deep cycle battery in the trailer. Wire the hot wire from the trailer pigtail to the positive side, and the ground the negative side. The lights will run off of the battery, the truck will charge the battery when it's running.

Oregon Chapter Member:
To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 08-02-2011, 05:44 PM
New User

Thanks for the quick reply, is it posible to tye into the same positive wire from my breakaway battery?
Old 08-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Post Fiend

dchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputation
I think it should be possible. I'd have to see how it's wired now though, to really even begin to figure out how to do it.

I've seen stock trailers wired with breakaway batteries that are not hooked up to be charged before, though, and I've never understood why. If there is a good reason, I'm not sure I'd want to mess with it. The best option might be to find a good RV tech nearby and find out how it is and how to fix it up right.

Oregon Chapter Member:
To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 08-02-2011, 05:57 PM
New User

I have a auxillary battery adjacent to the breakaway battery, If I tyed into the + from the truck, would that allow me to charge both batteries and have full time lites as well?
Old 08-02-2011, 05:57 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels

Tags
01, 1995, 97, colors, diagram, diagrams, f150, f250, f350, ford, kiefer, plug, prong, trailer, wire, wiring