2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catalytic Convertor-05 F150

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 10:14 AM
jgfx4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catalytic Convertor-05 F150

I recently got my Cats gutted and i was wondering where i can get O2 sensor emulators to get rid of my constant service engine light, or if there is a way to reprogram the computer or somthing. Basically what is the best way around this, besides putting cats back in. also i heard that while this light is on on some vehicles it temporarily reduces engine performance until serviced, does this crazynes apply to new ford trucks?

Old 02-15-2008, 10:45 AM
Shepard69
New User
Not 100% sure but I don't think your O2 sensor should be affected by gutting your Cats out. The O2 sensors are more tempramental than you wife when the moon is full. Likely your O2 sensor(s) are not working now. Not sure if a volt meter will tell you if they are working, but you could alway buy a new sensor. Most guys at the shop will tell you those things have a limited life, even if they provide a reading, it can be faulty.

Comments anyone?

Old 02-15-2008, 01:07 PM
barry1me
Senior User
The 02 sensors check post flow as a check to determine if the fuel mixture is correct to minimize emmisions. Your performance will be reduced somewhat because the 02 sensors act like a feedback loop to your ignition system. FYI: I hghly suggest to people not to gut your cats spend a few bucks and just put a delete pipe in or get an offroad pipe. Just hope if you ever have to puts converters back on your truck that you can get some cheap otherwise you will have an expensive bill.

This is coming from someone that has designed catalytic converters and DPFs for Ford.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:35 PM
jgfx4
New User
cool thankx for the help! i wonder why my engine light would be on since i got them removed then.

F-150 SEXY AS HELL!!

Old 02-16-2008, 04:08 PM
barry1me
Senior User
Originally Posted by jgfx4
cool thankx for the help! i wonder why my engine light would be on since i got them removed then.

F-150 SEXY AS HELL!!
Not sure if your asking a question or not, but if you gutted your cats thats most likely why your CEL is on.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:04 PM
felixr
Elder User
barry, can i please pick your ford brain?
so if I remove my cats I will get the CEL?
is there some sort of bypass or way around this like one of those emulators that jgfx is talking about?

Old 02-28-2008, 07:51 AM
barry1me
Senior User
Originally Posted by felixr
barry, can i please pick your ford brain?
so if I remove my cats I will get the CEL?
is there some sort of bypass or way around this like one of those emulators that jgfx is talking about?
Here is the rule of thumb for cats. If you have a post 02 sensor after the Cats and you remove the cats...you will throw a code and CEL. If no 02 sensor is after the cats then you may not throw a code.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:02 AM
felixr
Elder User
i guess i'll check mine to see if there are any sensors behind the cats.

if not, sweet! she will sounds like a monster when i remove them!

another question . . . can't I just place the sensors in the pipe with no cats? this would probably either throw a code or make me run lean?? am i right?

Old 02-28-2008, 08:04 AM
felixr
Elder User
i had another idea . . . if we had the edge evo and removed the cats . . . couldnt we get a flash for the pcm to ignore the check of gasses after the cats??

Old 02-28-2008, 08:10 AM
felixr
Elder User
here's an example I found with a quick search.
i guess we would have to buy two of these??

(Click the link \/ )

Universal O2 simulator/Bypass

Old 02-28-2008, 10:36 AM
Twinsdad98
Elder User
Felix- Yes you have 02s after the cats. You might be able to reprogram the edge to ignore the downstream O2s. It's just a hardware swtich in the strategy. But that may require a custom tune. Not sure how much the by passes are, but $50 for a custom tune seems like a good alternative....

What about leaving the cats and running a straight pipe? We did that once on a Mustang and it sounded pretty sweet...

Old 02-28-2008, 10:47 AM
felixr
Elder User
I could always ignore the light. But if I'm gonna gain just 1 or 2 hp its not worth it to me. I was gonna do it more for the sound. When I turn her on I want to hear her growl like I just woke up a beast and I want to hear her growl when I give her gas.

What would be the difference between running a "straight pipe" and adding a magnaflow super 44 lets say or just adding the magnaflow in place of the stock muffler. I mean, the stock tubing has GOT to be at LEAST 2.5 inches right? Maybe 3??

if I take it to a muffle shop wont they just run the pipe the same way it was stock cause of clearances and stuff?

why not just put a muffler on myself at home with clamps??

Old 02-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Kusto
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
here is some really good reading so that you can fully understand how the CC works and why they are so darned expensive. If you are concerned about smog checks and still want less restriction, there are a couple of performance CC makers out there as well. There are some recyclers that will pay for them as well, so check in your local area.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/catalytic-converter2.htm
http://www.a-1performance.com/perfor...ters/index.cfm
http://www.torquetechexh.com/catalyticconverters.htm
http://www.innerauto.com/store/index.php?N=9189&Nr=OR(AND(make:Ford,model:E-150,year:2007),AND(universal:1))&Vi=1616%2010379%2 04294966834&mk=Ford&md=E-150&y=2007&No=0&Npp=10

Old 02-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Kusto
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by felixr
I could always ignore the light. But if I'm gonna gain just 1 or 2 hp its not worth it to me.
Most likely what is happening is that your engine is going into a lean condition because the O2 sensor is reading increased NOx so it will reduce the fuel mixture as well as timing in order to avoid engine damage. A lean condition for any engine is not good as it can cause detonation which will effectively destroy your valves and pistons if it is allowed to continue. However, there is a balance point. See the table below.

I posted these links in another thread regarding throttle body spacers vs CAI.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air-fuel_ratio
http://www.crypton.co.za/Tto%20know/Emissions/afr.html

Old 02-28-2008, 11:33 AM
barry1me
Senior User
I would suggest leaving the cats the amount of backpressure that is created is minimal you may gain 5hp by removing your cats....maybe but a lot of time people loose performance as well. The 02 sensor is an active feedback loop to the PCM telling the engine how the fuel mixture is. If you remove the cats you will get readings that are out of the operating range thus causing the engine to try and adjust. I would leave the cats if I was you....but then again I design conveters for a living and see the minimal amount of impact they have on performance. BTW the aftermarket converters for the most part are not built to the same standards that your stock ones are. You will not convince me that an aftermarket converter will flow better then a stock one...or it will throw a CEL. FYI...A more free flowing susbstrate is a cheaper substrate to manufacture and the OE's use the cheapest ones they can. Once again your stocks cats are very good.

Quick Reply: Catalytic Convertor-05 F150