1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Problem with Power

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 11:35 PM
F350Moses
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with Power

On cold days when I'm first driving down the road I'll step on the gas and I'll hear a sound like "blowing air" coming from down by my feet. I never feel any air in the cab. The power, at this time, is about half what it should be. I'll slowly accelerate and there will be a point when the sound of air blowing stops and the power kicks in to full amount. After an hour of driving it stops. It only happens 50% of the time during the winter.

95' F350 Powerstroke 148 K miles. No mod's.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:04 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
F350, Welcome to FTE. I think you will find alot of answers here. And I have the exact answer you are looking for.

The noise you hear is you EBPV closing. (Exhaust Back Pressure Valve) It's located on the exhaust outlet (turbine) Of the turbo. It's purpose in life is to help your engine warm up in cold conditions. In other words it's doing it's job. It does this by closing a butterfly much like a carburator butterfly it the exhaust housing on the turbo. However, it's not always needed. You can unplug it, and test my theory. LOL Just look under the turbo where the intake from the air filter meets it. There is a 2 wire plug. That controls the EBPV. With it unplugged, you shouldn't hear the valve close, or should I say the wooshing sound you hear, and you should have full power. Again, welcome to the forum, I look forward to seeing you on the boards.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:55 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
x2 what Cody said. Let us know if your having trouble finding the connection, I'm sure one of us has a pick near the turbo and can point out exactly where it is. I live in NH were it get a little chilly out, I've had mine disconnected since I purchases the truck. Warms up fine. Again welcome!

-Robb

Old 02-15-2008, 06:17 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 02-15-2008, 05:13 PM
F350Moses
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So would all you guys suggest disconnecting the EBPV? Sounds like the truck will warm up just fine with out it. The coldest it gets out in Grand Junction Colorado is a little below freezing. Should I be concerned or should I just unplug it?

Old 02-15-2008, 05:26 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
I say unplug it and see how it acts. If you find the truck not warming up, plug it back in. It's really pretty easy to get to.