General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

U.S. Reportedly Plans to Shoot Down Spy Satellite Expected to Hit Earth in March

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 11:32 AM
freirefishing
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
U.S. Reportedly Plans to Shoot Down Spy Satellite Expected to Hit Earth in March

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,330696,00.html

WASHINGTON — U.S. officials say the Pentagon is planning to shoot down a broken spy satellite expected to hit the Earth in early March.

The Associated Press has learned that the option preferred by the Bush administration will be to fire a missile from a U.S. Navy cruiser, and shoot down the satellite before it enters Earth's atmosphere.

The satellite, known by its military designation US 193, was launched in December 2006. It lost power and its central computer failed almost immediately afterward, leaving it uncontrollable. It carried a sophisticated and secret imaging sensor.

U.S. officials do not want this equipment to fall into the wrong hands.

"The Chinese and the Russians spend an enormous amount of time trying to steal American technology," said John Pike, a defense and intelligence expert. "To have our most sophisticated radar intelligence satellite — have big pieces of it fall into their hands — would not be our preferred outcome."

Old 02-14-2008, 12:15 PM
blue beast
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For some reason I don't believe this whole scenario. All satellites are equipped with a
bunch of redundancy built in since flying up and replacing a part isn't always an option.
even the DBS have way more transponders then they could use by law so if they start
failing(or get hit) they can switch to a new one!! For a multi million(or billion) govt. sat
to not have a backup computer or at least a backup flight computer so it can maintain
altitude since it is probably a close orbit bird (12,000 miles) as opposed to the DBS
which are in 22,000 mile high orbit!! A bit of trivia everyone gets wrong, What was
the first satellite?

Old 02-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Buckarcher
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by blue beast
A bit of trivia everyone gets wrong, What was
the first satellite?
I'm guessing the moon, unless you mean not relative to earth. And that is unproveable.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:31 PM
rangerfan
Posting Guru
Sputnik (sp?) the soviet satellite sent up in the late 50's?

Last edited by rangerfan; 02-14-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:33 PM
rangerfan
Posting Guru
I was stationed in Alaska and got to watch the Russian space station fall to earth and burn up in the atmosphere. It was an awesome site.

Last edited by rangerfan; 02-14-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:58 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by freirefishing
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,330696,00.html

WASHINGTON — U.S. officials say the Pentagon is planning to shoot down a broken spy satellite expected to hit the Earth in early March.

The Associated Press has learned that the option preferred by the Bush administration will be to fire a missile from a U.S. Navy cruiser, and shoot down the satellite before it enters Earth's atmosphere.

The satellite, known by its military designation US 193, was launched in December 2006. It lost power and its central computer failed almost immediately afterward, leaving it uncontrollable. It carried a sophisticated and secret imaging sensor.

U.S. officials do not want this equipment to fall into the wrong hands.

"The Chinese and the Russians spend an enormous amount of time trying to steal American technology," said John Pike, a defense and intelligence expert. "To have our most sophisticated radar intelligence satellite — have big pieces of it fall into their hands — would not be our preferred outcome."

Where's my box of popcorn?
This is going to get interesting.

Let's see. Satellite falling out of the sky.
We shoot rocket towards satellite.
Satellite is traveling Mach 10+ (Guessing 17,500 mph, or more!)
Rocket misses satellite.
What goes up. . . must come down. (Oops, unless it hits something else that it's not supposed to hit!)

Oh. . . can somebody pass the salt for my popcorn, please.
This is going to be REAL interesting. . . . ..

Here's a 'twist'. . . the shuttle Atlantis is staying in space a day (or two) longer than planned.
Maybe they'll catch up to the satellite and grab it!

Last edited by 00BlueOvalRanger; 02-14-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:07 PM
freirefishing
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 00BlueOvalRanger
Where's my box of popcorn?
This is going to get interesting.

Let's see. Satellite falling out of the sky.
We shoot rocket towards satellite.
Satellite is traveling Mach 10+ (Guessing 17,500 mph, or more!)
Rocket misses satellite.
What goes up. . . must come down. (Oops, unless it hits something else that it's not supposed to hit!)

Oh. . . can somebody pass the salt for my popcorn, please.
This is going to be REAL interesting. . . . ..

Here's a 'twist'. . . the shuttle Atlantis is staying in space a day (or two) longer than planned.
Maybe they'll catch up to the satellite and grab it!
i think the discover burned up traveling near 25000 mph, from what i remember, i know that has more mass and would travel faster i think???

i tell ya what our missle defense system about to be placed on poland would have an easier time taking out missles traveling slower i would think

Old 02-14-2008, 01:56 PM
aerocolorado
Postmaster
Here's an interesting background article on the USA-193. Boeing was building the satellite but overpromised and underdelivered on the project. Apparently, the solar array failed to deploy. No power... no communications... no communications.........shooting gallery! Depressing part: That's a $100 million clay pigeon they will be shooting at.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/space/systems/e-305.htm

Old 02-14-2008, 02:07 PM
freirefishing
Postmaster
im watching it on nasa tv right now, there going to intercept it at 150 nauticalmiles up. they will make minor software changes in there system and the missles itself, to make the satelite look like a missle re-entering the atmosphere. its a basic dfensive missle were going to use.

when asked % that it hits target, we said "very high if the missle reaches the altitude it needs" closing at 22000 mph

Old 02-15-2008, 09:24 AM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Too bad we don't have Ronald Reagan's "Star Wars" defense mechanism in place.
We could laser/phaser that bad boy to kingdom come.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:23 AM
aerocolorado
Postmaster
When I hear the word satellite, I think of something round and about the size of an earthmover tire. This thing is the size of city bus! Yikes, no wonder they are concerned about pieces hitting us. Wonder what really is onboard that monstrosity?