Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Flashing OD light on '95 Explorer

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 05:53 AM
soundman502
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Flashing OD light on '95 Explorer

I have read many posts on this topic, so I apologize if I've missed a good one that answered my question. But I just bought a 1995 Explorer XLT 4x4. When we first got it, it was missing out badly, so we replaced the spark plugs and all is good, till the road trip. We drove it for 2 or 3 days with this miss, and never had any warning lights come on, but after we replaced the plugs, now this OD starts flashing. Usually around 10-15 minutes of driving, but sometimes less. It will go off on occasion, but usually come right back. There's nothing wrong with the shifts when it's off. They are all in good time, and feel solid and smooth, with no slipping. Is it possible that something could have been effected by changing the plugs? Possibly some connector or something that could have been hit or jostled during the work? Trans fluid is very clean and good on level, and I have tried resetting the computer, and it just came back. Autozone said that they can't read the codes since it's pre '96. So what do I need to look for? Thanks guys!

Old 02-14-2008, 08:02 AM
mason
Elder User
'95s were the first year of all electronic transmissions and are very susceptible to throwing errant transmission codes. If the light stays on, reset it by disconnecting the battery. If it stays off you should be fine, if it comes back on I would take it to a reputable transmission shop to get checked out. I'm surprised your downshifts are not harsh when the light is on.

Mason

Old 02-14-2008, 08:05 AM
soundman502
Senior User
The shifting pattern does change when the light is flashing. Pretty stiff shift on 1&2, and some hard downshifts on the same, but OD is still available, and when the light is off, it feels perfect. Well, I guess it's time to take it to a shop then. I do have a code reader that works on my '93 Tbird, but I don't yet know if it will work on this truck. Either way, I'll post back. Thanks!

Old 02-14-2008, 08:32 AM
mason
Elder User
It a fault code has been set, it doesn't necessarily impact O/D but the shifts will be hard and are not good for your trans. You shouldn't let it continue for very long. Good luck.

Mason

Old 02-14-2008, 10:07 AM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is my advise, find a reputable transmission shop that you feel you can trust or is recommended by a friend. Have them scan the codes to determine what the problem might be. Then have them do a gentle flush. Mention something about disconnecting the return line to flush. If they agree, proceed. If they mention something about a flush machine insist you want it gentle flushed by disconnecting the return line. If they keep pushing for the flush machine, find another shop. The flush machines can damage stuff by forcing fluid through the transmission in a way it was not designed to handle. When you disconnect the return line, the transmission flushes itself with its own built in pump. You just keep adding new fluid at about the same rate you drain the old. The flush takes about 12 quarts, depending upon the exact size of your tranny pan. You will also need to replace the filter inside the transmission, which involves dropping the pan. You should do this before you flush the transmission. There are more articles on this forum with specific details. I think there is a link in the sticky at the top of the page.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:41 AM
soundman502
Senior User
I'm looking for a good trans shop now, but I also have something else to add to the puzzle. Every once in a while, even when on dry solid surfaces, you can hear the ABS system kick in, as though it were trying to compensate for slippage. Do the ABS sensors have any bearing on what the ControlTrac systems reads? Could they be sending or even, not sending information that the computer would see as a trans issue?

Old 02-20-2008, 11:44 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
You need to check for codes. With the O/D light blinking there will be codes. The codes will point to where the problem is, the tranny shop will know what the codes mean.

The tranny more than likley will need rebuilt or some repair done to it. My sisters 95' just got her 3rd tranny at 160k.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:46 PM
marragtop
Posting Guru
BTW... the 95 is OBDI/EECIV, so the code reader you use on your 93 will work. Some of the 95s have a non functional OBDII port under the dash. Don't try and use that. Use the OBDI port under the hood.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:57 PM
soundman502
Senior User
Awesome, that's just what I've been waiting to hear. I'll get those buggers pulled and see where we are.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:26 AM
Bear River
Former ******
Originally Posted by soundman502
I'm looking for a good trans shop now, but I also have something else to add to the puzzle. Every once in a while, even when on dry solid surfaces, you can hear the ABS system kick in, as though it were trying to compensate for slippage. Do the ABS sensors have any bearing on what the ControlTrac systems reads? Could they be sending or even, not sending information that the computer would see as a trans issue?
You will need to check codes to verify this, but yes, they are related and could cause the code.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:33 AM
soundman502
Senior User
Ok, well here's the code description, and I apologize, that I can't remember the exact number, I think it was 632, or 638. Either way, here is what the code meant. It was reporting an incorrect gear ratio on the 4th gear.

So, is this the solenoid, or the OD band taking a crap? That what it seems like it would be to me, but hey, what do I know

Old 03-03-2008, 08:45 AM
marragtop
Posting Guru
Have you reset the codes, and if so is the light still coming back on? My 95 has the OD light start blinking about once a year. I always pull the codes, and reset it and it's good to go. I'm sure you can find a trans shop that will take $2K from you to 'rebuild' it, but if it isn't persistent maybe it's not worth the time and effort.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:46 AM
soundman502
Senior User
It is persistant, I clear it, and it comes back after cruising in OD for 5 minutes or more. I assume that there probably is a problem, but I'm hoping for a solenoid, or even just a band adjustment to give a fix for now.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:56 PM
jackiedc7
Freshman User
i was working on my old explorer 1995 cleaning every sensor on engine one day and forgot to plug in sensor . took off and drove it to get some parts and exact same symptom happened .. anti brk light and then noticed harsh shift so as i got back in my garage opened hood and seen right off sensor was un plugged . plug in and light went out and shift quality came back . then worked on my real problem changing camshaft position sensor behind and under intake plenum wow what a task ... sorry i ment od light

Last edited by jackiedc7; 10-16-2008 at 07:33 PM. Reason: wrong info
Old 11-10-2008, 03:09 PM
soundman502
Senior User
Ok, long overdue, but here's the update. I found an inline filter in the trans line, just behind the radiator. None of my other Fords have this, so it wasn't in the list of things to look for. Starting in April, overdrive was gone. 1-3 is all that we had to work with. Couldn't figure this out. This filter solved it. I still have a flashing OD light, which I will try to clear, since it is still reporting 648 - incorrect gear ratio in 4th gear. I am going to clear that code and re-check the bands. Also, when the truck is running, it has a signifigant whine comeing from the front right of the vehicle, from what I suspect is the trans pump. Since the fluid smells burnt badly, I'm wondering if a simple change of it and all the filters will give some new found life, or if the damage to this pump has already been done and the clock ticking. Either way, the fluid and filter are being changed this weekend, but I'd like to know what size board I have coming to whack the money out of my wallet.

thanks!

Quick Reply: Flashing OD light on '95 Explorer