1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Bed Dimensions {width}

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 08:19 PM
bwoldschool65
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Bed Dimensions {width}

I need the interior dimensions of a 65 long bed styleside. All i have are the sides. So i need to build a frame for the sides to bolt to. Has anyone else ever done this? Thanks for any help guys!

Old 02-14-2008, 09:29 PM
bwoldschool65
Senior User
c'mon guys

Old 02-15-2008, 06:20 AM
Hakk
Senior User
I'll get out there and measure mine this weekend if no one else posts before then. I'm planning on grafting parts from a newer 8 foot bed into mine, so I have to measure it at some point anyway.

If you could tell me exactly what measurements you want I will get as accurate numbers as I can for you.

-6 F out there right now, call me a wimp but I'm not excited to go out. It should be nice this weekend, though.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:55 AM
garbz2
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Take a tub from a up to 79 truck and hang the slick quarter panels on the tub. No frames to make..

I did this to make the split uni bed on the 66 Suicide crew in my gallery.

Garbz

Old 02-15-2008, 04:11 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by bwoldschool65
c'mon guys
Maybe the guys think you ought to get off your lazy butt and go out find and measure one yourself, rather than them going out and measuring one for you.

Buy what do I know?????

John

Old 02-15-2008, 05:33 PM
Hakk
Senior User
Originally Posted by garbz2
Take a tub from a up to 79 truck and hang the slick quarter panels on the tub. No frames to make..

I did this to make the split uni bed on the 66 Suicide crew in my gallery.

Garbz
I would do that if I were in Arizona as well. Almost everything more than 10 years old around here is cancerous.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:52 PM
bwoldschool65
Senior User
Originally Posted by jowilker
Maybe the guys think you ought to get off your lazy butt and go out find and measure one yourself, rather than them going out and measuring one for you.

Buy what do I know?????

John
whats up with this guy if there were any in my area i guessi would, but then again i aint gonna walk up to somebodies truck and yank out my measureing tape. most are flatbeds that i have seen you dont know me so dont call me lazy please

anyways my bed sides still have the inner wall minus the wheel tub so that would be a good place. thanks for any help guys

Old 02-16-2008, 05:49 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
You are not going to get away with saying that there are no old trucks in north west Tenn. my friend. I can't imagine many owners that you approached and told them what you wanted, that wouldn't be happy to help by letting you measure their truck beds. Just try asking. They are not all rotted out either.

I first read your post between 5-5:30 on a Feb morning. I would have had to dress to go outside, dig out my tape measure, pen and paper, a hand light, to get a measurement for you that you could get yourself.

John

Old 02-16-2008, 08:29 AM
bwoldschool65
Senior User
well there is only one that is not a flatbed around here and it is a stepside. And if you did not want to do it dont.I just want some usable info! thanks anyone!

Old 02-16-2008, 10:49 AM
Hakk
Senior User
anyways my bed sides still have the inner wall minus the wheel tub so that would be a good place. thanks for any help guys
On my '65 I measured to the inner wall around the wheel tub area. I get between 70 1/8 inches and 70 1/4 inches. There seems to be a curve there. The inner walls are closer at the top of the tubs and farther apart at the bottom. I think it would be better to use the ends of the bed sides as reference points.

I measured at the inner base of the stake pockets at the tail gate and got 64 13/16 inches.

I measured at the front top inner edges of the bed and got 64 15/16. These are pretty much the same surfaces as the inner base of the stake pockets measured above. I would expect that if other members measured them we'd see some variation there.

I would recommend that you tack everything and mock it up to make sure it all fits the way you want before you final weld. If you are going to run a tailgate you should assemble it into the mocked up bed prior to welding as well.

Let me know if I can help with anything else. edit: I hope I have described the locations sufficiently. It would really be best to have a sketch as a reference to be abundantly clear. I just don't have the tools to do that here. If you can, make a sketch so that we can be clear that the measurements are what you think they are. I'd hate for you to do all the work to build a new bed and then find out it's a couple inches off due to a miscommunication here!

Last edited by Hakk; 02-16-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:07 AM
bwoldschool65
Senior User
you hit it very close, thanks man. as long as i'm within an inch i can shim it up with washers. i'll bolt my sides to the frame. then put stainless steel on the sides, i got the stainless for free {old checkstand tops} then put oak on the floor with stainless wheel tubs. should be nice! and i will be using a tailgate. but with bolting it up i should be able to adjust! what do you guys think?

Old 02-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Hakk
Senior User
you hit it very close, thanks man. as long as i'm within an inch i can shim it up with washers. i'll bolt my sides to the frame. then put stainless steel on the sides, i got the stainless for free {old checkstand tops} then put oak on the floor with stainless wheel tubs. should be nice! and i will be using a tailgate. but with bolting it up i should be able to adjust! what do you guys think?
Hmm, not sure I'm visualizing this right, but I wouldn't want gaps all around the floor of the truck. Are you planning on using it, or is it show only? Edit: how about the front of the box?

I would feel like dirt, sand or rocks would sift out of the bed on the way from the landscaping place...

Old 02-16-2008, 11:33 AM
bwoldschool65
Senior User
it will be tongue and groove so no gaps, it will be stained and poly urathanedthe front of the box will be stainless as well. i'm not exactly sure what i will put underneath the wood to keep it protected ! may not need anything, but the truck will only get grocery duty for the bed if anything. but it will be a daily driver. and i will put a cover over it. i'm open for suggestions

Old 02-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Pro-Street/StateTK
Posting Guru
bwoldschool

Keep in mind that the long step bed trucks, will use the long bed tail gate
( only ) they are wider than a short step bed!

P.S. I do see the point, I know that if I needed to measure a step bed on a
( long wheel base) I only know of one in this area, there not a lot of those
left out there.

Wally Womack

Old 02-16-2008, 11:48 PM
bwoldschool65
Senior User
mines the style side. i drew up some plans to give yall some ideas on what i'm gonna do. ill try to post em tomorrow if i get the chance.

Quick Reply: Bed Dimensions {width}