1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

48 F-6 COE car hauler

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 08:21 PM
tomoto
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow his interior cost more then both of my trucks

Old 02-14-2008, 08:39 PM
scottm1
Senior User
Believe it or not, I'll bet I don't have more than about $1,000.00 in all of the upholstery. I did 99% of it myself. The only things I didn't do was the sleeper mattress, and the seats. The reason for that is I cannot sew. I had an upholstery shop sew the fabric over the sleeper foam mattress, and the seats came out of new Oldsmobile Alero that only had like 5,000 miles on it. I just ordered the upholstery material to match the seats for the rest of the interior. Of course there is a lot of labor and standing back scratching my head on some things before I figured out how to do some of it.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:57 PM
48' fordster
Elder User
WOW!! that truck is SICK!!! Ive always liked the COE's but man, that thing is over the top sweet!!! haha nice job man, looks great!

Old 02-14-2008, 09:28 PM
scottm1
Senior User
Tomoto,

I saw your trucks at Evansville last year down the hill from me. I looked them both over, but I did not see anybody around them. I only saw them on Sunday morning. I am assuming you were likely down at the grandstands when I was at your truck waiting on the awards to start. It is kinda weird to find another guy with 2 coe's. Most people don't even want one, and then there is us with more than one each. I actually have 3. I have 2 48 Ford COE's, and I also have a 41 Dodge COE. I just love the COE's for some strange reason. I guess I like the out of the ordinary. Right now I am building a 58 Divco Milk truck street rod. Again, a not normal ride.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:45 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by scottm1
Right now I am building a 58 Divco Milk truck street rod. Again, a not normal ride.
There is a "hot rod" DIVCO here in town, I have some pics if you are interested. Here's the sign he posts at shows

Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2008, 10:43 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Sure Albuq, I am always interested in seeing a Divco. Do you have a link to them, or do you need an email address?
Actually, I went to see and all I have are some pics of the engine (since it's a flatty with A/C and PS!). Believe me, the owner hasn't done anything with the body, it's pretty rough.

Back to the COE's, here's a calendar of COE's the guy who runs the website at the bottom of it sent me.... site seems to be gone now.

Attached Images  

Last edited by ALBUQ F-1; 02-14-2008 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:46 PM
LiftTech
Senior User
That truck is gorgeous! I'll have to dig through my old pictures, but were you at the Good Guys show in Nashville a year or so ago?

Amazing truck, great job!

Old 02-15-2008, 10:33 PM
scottm1
Senior User
I was at Nashville Good Guys in 2006, but I didn't make it in 2007 though.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:51 PM
scottm1
Senior User
BEFORE

I managed to find some photos of before I started to work on the truck, but cannot figure out how to get them from my gallery to the post in a side by side before and after comparison.

Last edited by scottm1; 02-15-2008 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:53 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Scott, this link is to a general automotive website and NOT to any given brand, so it should be ok. It just happens to have Divco on it tool. It even has the aquacar
http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Divco/
Jon

Old 02-16-2008, 11:50 AM
scottm1
Senior User
Thanks CIAF

I just posted a bunch of photos during the build of my truck in my gallery if anyone is interested in seeing them. Forgive me, but they are not in any particular order.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:53 PM
SgtCrump
Freshman User
Hey Scott,

What a beauty!! That has been my dream truck ever since I found out there were COEs in 1948. I currently have a 1948 F3, a bone stocker, but daily driver. I like the fact that the '48 is kind of significant in Ford's truck history.

I intend to do as you did, but have to wait a couple of years (til the alimony is done!). I do have a couple of questions, just for reference. Did you have to move the engine back for any particular reason, or just convenience? Is the sleeper accessible from inside? I envision having one to make it into a "extra cab" style, with a bench seat for passengers.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:00 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Thanks CIAF

I just posted a bunch of photos during the build of my truck in my gallery if anyone is interested in seeing them. Forgive me, but they are not in any particular order.
You are welcome Scott. Nice updating on the gallery. I would have to say that your COE is one of the BEST I have seen. I really like the piggybacker too. I am wondering, since the engine is rearward, do you use the original spot as a trunk or storage?? Anyway, I can sure appreciate your talents.
Jon

Old 02-16-2008, 10:49 PM
scottm1
Senior User
CIAF,

thanks for the compliment. There really is nothing under the hood except for a huge tranny cooler with a cooling fan on it. There really isn't that much room under there for anything. Since I already have so much room in the bed storage compartments, I don't really need any more storage space under the hood.

Sgtcrump,

I moved the engine to the rear for several reasons. .........First, there is so little room for it in the front that would have been difficult to put there and to work on later if I needed to........Second, By putting the engine in the rear, you can get rid of that huge hump in the floor that takes up so much interior space. When I replaced the floor pan, I just flattened it out and there is now a lot of leg room that I would not have had otherwise....Third....The engine in the rear eliminates all of the heat coming off of the engine radiating through the floor. Obviously it is much more comfortable in the summer and the air conditioner doesn't have to work so hard......Fourth, It is much quieter in the cab with the noise of the engine being behind you.........And last, it eliminates a long driveshaft which would need a carrier bearing and more likely to have maintenance issues. The driveshaft is only about 3 feet long. Those are the reason the engine is behind the sleeper.

Scott

Old 02-16-2008, 10:54 PM
scottm1
Senior User
Is the sleeper accessible from inside?

Yes you get into the sleeper by sliding the passenger seat forward and tilting the back forward just like a 2 door car. The seats came from an Olds Alero 2 door and fold forward like I described. I think you can see that if you look closely at the photos in my gallery.

Quick Reply: 48 F-6 COE car hauler