General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

breaking the sound barrier

Old 02-13-2008, 03:41 PM
freirefishing
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
breaking the sound barrier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBuIidllusc
anyone see this done before? funny how condensation forms a cloud around the jet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcFWP...eature=related
video of full afterburn---really cool listen to the whine half way through when its about to fire up a little supercharge sounding

Old 02-13-2008, 04:06 PM
racerchick21
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, one of the benefits of doing military airfield construction. The noise from that afterburner that close will just about change your heartbeat!

Old 02-13-2008, 04:06 PM
62rag
Senior User
The high attack angle, slow speed pass is very cool. Saw one at and air-show here about 10 years ago. We don't get too many F-18's where I work, but we do see ALOT of F-16's, being that's what the Colorado National Guard flies in and out of the area. We used to be able to take familiarization flights on their KC-10 during refueling exercises. I never made the list to go, and that kind of stuff has been recently curtailed. Oh well.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:10 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I couldn't watch the videos, because of computer issues.

I've seen/see that every year during S.F. Fleet Week.

What you see there is a vapor cone. Pretty cool.

During our Fleet Week Blue Angels' show, one of the opposing Blue Angels Solo#6,
does his "sneak Pass", a very low altitude (50'), high speed pass, just barely above the bay,
and at mach .9, and he's moving.

It's awesome.

Here's another vid shot during our Fleet Week. Enjoy. It gives me goose bumps just watching it. And up the volume.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7rAU...eature=related

Last edited by sierraben; 02-13-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:04 AM
Tribalgeek
Junior User
Dont get to see many fighters, but I was up at the flight line loading onto a C-130 when a couple came through for take off. I had ear plugs in was standing behind a the C-130 which had it's engines and props going and that noise was still loud enough to drown everything out. Then two A10 Warthogs showed up and well that was loud/
Most fun I have had on a C-130 is when they decided they needed to do a combat take off and landing. Without alterting anyone in the back. So we start rolling and then we are going nearly straight up. We hit altitude and they need to land for some problem. We suddenly just drop right out of the air. Level out then drop again before landing at full speed. Had to repeat that process twice before we reached my stop. Slept through most of it though.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:24 AM
freirefishing
Postmaster
[QUOTE=sierraben]I couldn't watch the videos, because of computer issues.

I've seen/see that every year during S.F. Fleet Week.

What you see there is a vapor cone. Pretty cool.

During our Fleet Week Blue Angels' show, one of the opposing Blue Angels Solo#6,
does his "sneak Pass", a very low altitude (50'), high speed pass, just barely above the bay,
and at mach .9, and he's moving.

It's awesome.

Here's another vid shot during our Fleet Week. Enjoy. It gives me goose bumps just watching it. And up the volume.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7rAUu8djZ4&feature=related[/QUOTE]

that was rediculous, i would love to see something like that in person...your hair does stand up!

Old 02-14-2008, 09:12 AM
Chugalug
Elder User
When I was a crew chief on a c-130 I stayed on the flight deck when we were flying.
One Saturday evening we stopped at Korat AFB Thialand for supper they had grilled steak.
At the time it was a fighter base and the pilot had some friends there so I guess they were giveing our pilot a rough time.
When we got to the runway he said we were gonna do an assault T/O and to hold on.
He torqued the engines up with the brakes on and it started to drag the wheels then he let off the brakes and we started rolling and went up at about a 45º angle for about 1500' and the plane started to vibrate very bad as it felt as tough we were suspended in mid air.
The pilot pushed the stick foreward and we nosed over to about 500' then he did the same 45º on up to about 4000'.
When he nosed it over at 1500' it felt as though my heart had risen up into my throat.
We had to do this many times while in SEA. We also practiced it lots in the states before we went to SEA.
At some of those short dirt fields we had to use I was wishing for a tail hook and grab lines for landings and a catipult for takeoff.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:38 AM
Gorilla1
Senior User
Darn computer doesn't want to play videos this morning but I think I've seen the F-18 one before. Amazing. Pretty amazing what a 130 can do as well. Quite the workhorse and still running strong.

The AF Thunderbirds like to do those sneak attacks during their airshows much the same as the Blue Angels. Crowd will be distracted then all of a sudden one will come screaming across scare the britches off everyone. I love it.

Couple years back I got an incentive ride on a T-38. Perfect day for flying, no clouds, open airspace, and away we went. Probably one of the highlights of my career. Flew around for near an hour, did a few aerobatics (sp) pilot asked if I wanted to go upside down, said sure why not, so we did. Let me drive the thing a couple times even. He told the Ops people they may hear a couple booms. (We were a part of a two ship flight). Sure 'nuff, he took it to 1.2 as I recall. Couldn't hear the boom, just felt like we were driving over bumps in the road both going over mach and coming back under. Man that was fun and I didn't even get sick!

Rich

Old 02-14-2008, 10:14 AM
jjlogue3
Posting Guru
That was pretty cool I have never seen that before!

Old 02-14-2008, 12:03 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by freirefishing
that was rediculous, i would love to see something like that in person...your hair does stand up!
It is ridiculous, and so cool.

That's why I go every year, since 1980, and watch.

The Blue Angels practice their routines Thursdays and Fridays, and on Saturdays
and Sundays, put on their show.

As you can guess, I'm there all four days, with beer and lunch.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:24 PM
tbm3fan
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
When I lived in the City from 87-97 I would have Friday off and when they were in town I would sit up on the roof and watch them fly over the Richmond District at low altitudes. Naturally, during their show they are confined to being over the Bay. Somewhere at home I do have a shot of the six of them making a pass over the USS Hornet. The Angels, until Alaska Air closed their repair terminal in Oakland, were put up there during their week in October. After the Angels finished their show they would head east, turn south over the east end of the Bay Bridge, and then fly over the Hornet low and in formation wagging their wings, in salute, as they passed directly over the ship. They were low, the sound was deafening and their jet exhaust would actually float down onto the ship. After that the ships phone would ring off the hook from people complaining about the noise level. Given how low they were and that the noise almost hurt the ears I can understand some.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:34 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by tbm3fan
When I lived in the City from 87-97 I would have Friday off and when they were in town I would sit up on the roof and watch them fly over the Richmond District at low altitudes.
Where abouts in the Richmond district were you?

Old 02-14-2008, 01:09 PM
freirefishing
Postmaster
i never knew that a cone would form around the plane traveling at the speed of sound, so inesence you actually see the air being moved?? followed by a sonic boom?

Old 02-14-2008, 02:26 PM
tbm3fan
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by sierraben
Where abouts in the Richmond district were you?
Two places:
1987-91
21st between Clement and California, a flat and my all time favorite place,
1991-1997
20th between Geary and Anza.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:35 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by tbm3fan
Two places:
1987-91
21st between Clement and California, a flat and my all time favorite place,
1991-1997
20th between Geary and Anza.
Don't suppose you heard of "the black house" on California, between 23rd & 24th., near Rochambeau Playground?

Anyway, I know those areas that you use to live at. Nice area.

Lots of restaurants and stores in the area.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: breaking the sound barrier