3.0L Powerstroke Diesel Discuss the forthcoming 3.0L V6 Ford diesel in the F150

New Diesel?

Old 02-13-2008, 08:00 AM
vettdvr
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Diesel?

I read in Popular Mechanics march issue the 2009 F150 will have a diesel?

They claim a bigger V8 and a diesel will be out in about a year.

Anyone heard of this? MPG on the new diesel? F150 with diesel might be a good option.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:06 AM
tolmite
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, there is suppose to be a diesel in the F150 later this year I believe. I have not been able to see any specs on the motor.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:25 AM
SolidGround
Elder User
Originally Posted by tolmite
Yes, there is suppose to be a diesel in the F150 later this year I believe. I have not been able to see any specs on the motor.
Gearing up for the oil-burning Tundra coming next year.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:25 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 778 Likes on 594 Posts
Originally Posted by SolidGround
Gearing up for the oil-burning Tundra coming next year.
I don't doubt that for a minute.
If they come out with a full sized truck that matches the three domestics in capacities, pulling ability, etc. Ford, Chevy, and Dodge should be shaking in thier boots.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:42 AM
redfire42
Posting Guru
Its in the diesel power mag. They had a bunch of diesels in there plus a dmax going in the Dakota and 1500 ram still making 310 HP and 525 tq. I just cann't seem to find my mag with it in. Think my wife took it to work. I do think Ford is making there own for the 150. Its a 4.5L. Not sure on power, thinking 275hp around. Let me look for it.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:45 AM
03_PSD
Postmaster
no input from me, i just wanna listen to this thread.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:14 PM
That_Guy
Postmaster
I thought I heard somthing about a V-6 diesel for the f-150 a little while back called the hurricane.....could be wrong but thats what I thought I read a while back.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:49 PM
ggirten
Senior User
I did a search for Ford F150 Diesel and found several sites that talk about it, but it seems I can't post them.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:00 PM
pullinair
Elder User
Yeah man, I new those IH reps were not lying to me. I started a thread like this a year or so ago in the General Diesel Forum. IMO, with toyotas reliability, combines with a diesel, its kind of difficult even thinking about the F-150, if toyota will produce a diesel version. If toyota were to bring out a diesel, watch the price of the superduty/f-150 to skyrocket even more into the ridiculous range. The asian auto market is usually unbeatable when it comes to the price of vehicles.

Last edited by pullinair; 02-13-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:01 PM
blueeyes2478
Elder User
Ford F-150 diesel news

It's long been rumored that Ford has been working on a diesel for the 1/2-ton F-150 lineup. Originally it was thought to have been the Super Duty Powerstroke minus two cylinders, thus making a 4.5L V6 turbo diesel. In fact that engine does exist, and it powers the commercial-oriented Ford Class IV-V cab-over-engine chassis cab city trucks. Well, that engine will not be in the F-150...

The diesel that will power the F-150 will be a 4.4L V8. That news leaked out a few months ago. The latest news on this engine is that it will be a larger version of the new V8 diesel that powers the Euro-spec Range Rover! The RR diesel is a 3.6L V8. Rumor has it this new 4.4L diesel may be built in the UK and shipped over here.

Snippet: Ford may produce the 4.4-litre engine in Britain and ship it to the United States. Although Ford has not settled on the engine's production volume, suppliers and analysts say it could produce 100,000 diesel-powered F-150s.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:08 PM
blueeyes2478
Elder User
Heres a little more info about the F-150

DETROIT — These prototype photos tell only part of the story, but Ford’s best-selling F-150 pickup truck is in for a major overhaul. Automotive insiders predict that Ford will have a completely new F-150 in Ford dealer showrooms within 15 months, or sometime late next summer. The 2009 model, whatever its changes, will compete directly with Toyota’s new Tundra pickup, a vehicle seen as a direct threat to the historical dominance of the U.S. light truck market by Ford, Chevy and Dodge.

Like negative intelligence in the military, the fact that a lot is hidden in the new photos above and at right could mean that much is planned. What we can see is that Ford is planning a completely new front-end clip, with a newly traditional three-bar grille and centered blue oval emblem. Headlights and parking lights are stacked in a distinctive arrangement, while running lights are stationed in the bumper at the lower outside corners. The wheels are extra-fancy, appearing to offer dual spokes in a seven–spoke pattern.

We can’t figure out those darned oversize mirrors: They seem too big for this size pickup, but they appear on both the club cab and four-door models. Note, too, the step-boards on both vehicles—a sign of top-of-the-line models. The cargo box and tailgate appear even taller than those highest-in-segment current Fords. Finally, check out the conventional solid rear axle, an old standard design for pickups. At least some things stay the same. —Jim Dunne

Click here for more on the Ford F-150 in our New Cars and Trucks Buyer's Guide, where you can choose from over 200 new models and expert reviews, then compare the F-150 with up to five other rides! (We already road tested it against four...)

Attached Images    
Old 02-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dodge was claiming around 24-26 MPG for the 2009 RAM 1500 cummins V8, so I would exepct the ford to be around the same

Old 02-13-2008, 02:20 PM
ggirten
Senior User
I watched something the other night that said the new CAFE standards now include trucks, so they are going to diesel to improve the mpg.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:44 PM
pullinair
Elder User
Originally Posted by blueeyes2478
Heres a little more info about the F-150

DETROIT — These prototype photos tell only part of the story, but Ford’s best-selling F-150 pickup truck is in for a major overhaul. Automotive insiders predict that Ford will have a completely new F-150 in Ford dealer showrooms within 15 months, or sometime late next summer. The 2009 model, whatever its changes, will compete directly with Toyota’s new Tundra pickup, a vehicle seen as a direct threat to the historical dominance of the U.S. light truck market by Ford, Chevy and Dodge.

Like negative intelligence in the military, the fact that a lot is hidden in the new photos above and at right could mean that much is planned. What we can see is that Ford is planning a completely new front-end clip, with a newly traditional three-bar grille and centered blue oval emblem. Headlights and parking lights are stacked in a distinctive arrangement, while running lights are stationed in the bumper at the lower outside corners. The wheels are extra-fancy, appearing to offer dual spokes in a seven–spoke pattern.

We can’t figure out those darned oversize mirrors: They seem too big for this size pickup, but they appear on both the club cab and four-door models. Note, too, the step-boards on both vehicles—a sign of top-of-the-line models. The cargo box and tailgate appear even taller than those highest-in-segment current Fords. Finally, check out the conventional solid rear axle, an old standard design for pickups. At least some things stay the same. —Jim Dunne

Click here for more on the Ford F-150 in our New Cars and Trucks Buyer's Guide, where you can choose from over 200 new models and expert reviews, then compare the F-150 with up to five other rides! (We already road tested it against four...)
That ice cream and deli on memorial looks like a good idea, is it luch time? also, that is one skinny tail pipe, especially if they are required to run a DPF. May be a gasser in the pic. The frameand chassy on those pics looks weak, not medium duty. I think if ford does bite the bullet, it should be a dually only version, becuase you know how people are going to be like " its a diesel, I can pull anything" when in fact they wont be able to in that chassis.

Toyota is on the right track. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhJlseAY0E0

Last edited by pullinair; 02-13-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
I think Toyota is now living on it's past reputation http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=123049

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Diesel?