Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-19-1999, 07:13 PM
New User

tfs_460 is starting off with a positive reputation.
dove 460's

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the Dove A-Blocks? Ive found 3 and they are all different. One has an A with a searies of dots around it on the front right by the water pump and DOVE-A on the left side of the block, one has an A on top of a square on the right front by the water pump and it also says DOVE-A on the the left side of the block,and the last one has nothing by the water pump but still says DOVE-A on the side. Ive been told a DOVE-A block can be bored to .140 over but I dont know for sure . But if anyone knows let me know so I know witch of the three to buy if not all. Thanks
Old 06-22-1999, 08:32 AM
Deen Hylton

dove 460's

The only safe way to bore is to have a block sonic checked for thickness and core shift. I have bored two blocks .080 over but would not recommend this for everyday street use. A speed shop or machine shop should be able to give you sonic readings for $100 bucks or so. I went through a couple of SCJ blocks before I found one thick enough to safely bore to .080 over. Deen
Old 08-29-1999, 02:19 PM
calvin

dove 460's

most all early model 429 460 blocks (68) have a verry high nickle content so they are verry hard.i have a429 bored 80 over and stroked to a 514. i have never seen any block problems.mine is poured with morooso block filler.take one to a chevy man and tell him to bore it with a torque plate .....after he bores it ask him how it went.he will probably say something like Damn that block is hard,had to sharpen my cutters 4 or 5 times.and make 5 or 6 passes to get 80 over.i know because thats what i did.i dont believe that any production block can be bored that much.if you have any more questions you can email me. calvin love my ford truck.!!!!!)
Old 09-16-1999, 10:50 PM
calvin

dove 460's

Old 09-16-1999, 10:50 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460)

Tags
080, 0ver, 460, 80, block, blockl, bore, bored, bores, difference, dove, engine, ford, safe, scj