Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-26-2000, 10:27 PM
New User

Neal is starting off with a positive reputation.
Trick Flow 460 heads

What kind of increase in horsepower can I realistically expect on a 460 with an edelbrock performer rpm intake and cam topped with a holley 850 double pumper by replacing stock heads with these which are advertised as direct replacements for super cobra jet heads? I haven't built the engine yet - I'm a dreamer, and a planner - but I will have true dual exhaust the whole way back with headers feeding 3" pipes, no cat. converters, and flowmasters. I'm on a bit of a budget, and $1800 isn't exactly pocket change. Does anyone have any recommendation for good heads that may be cheaper? I like the weight reduction of aluminum. Thanks a lot for everyone's help.

Neal
Old 02-27-2000, 08:11 AM
Elder User

DeenHylton is starting off with a positive reputation.
Trick Flow 460 heads

>What kind of increase in horsepower can
>I realistically expect on a 460
>with an edelbrock performer rpm intake
>and cam topped with a holley
>850 double pumper by replacing stock
>heads with these which are advertised
>as direct replacements for super cobra
>jet heads? I haven't built
>the engine yet - I'm a
>dreamer, and a planner - but
>I will have true dual exhaust
>the whole way back with headers
>feeding 3" pipes, no cat. converters,
>and flowmasters. I'm on a
>bit of a budget, and $1800
>isn't exactly pocket change. Does
>anyone have any recommendation for good
>heads that may be cheaper?
>I like the weight reduction of
>aluminum. Thanks a lot for
>everyone's help.
> Neal
Neal, first off your Performer RPM manifold will not match with the SCJ heads, the port sizes are way bigger. Also you'll need a lot more cam to make use of the heads new breathablity...of course with more cam you need more compression, etc. If you have everything matched correctly expect to make a maximum of 600-625 HP with those heads.Those Cobra Jet heads will still be the limiting factor, they sign-off around 6,500 RPM. If you really want to "step-up" you need the "A460" heads, manifold, 1050 Dominator, etc. expect an easy 725 HP...I've spun a 514 to 7,600 RPM with no problems.

Old 02-27-2000, 03:54 PM
New User

Trick Flow 460 heads

I appreciate the info. This will be a daily driver, and I'm on a 18 year old budget, so I need something that really moves when I hit the gas (got sideswiped recently in a Jeep because I didn't have the acceleration to get out of the way - it will never happen again), but I need something reliable that gets at least about 8 mpg and I can't afford to spend a fortune doing it. Should I just stick with the performer rpm kit or what? Are there better heads that cost less and would match this intake/cam or what? I'm basically looking for power in the 2000-6000rpm range. My only racing will be at the occasional redlight (gotta at least beat those new weak Z28s daddy bought his lil' unemployed rich boys). =) I'm basically new to this whole thing. My first car was a 90 mustang 5.0, but the engine was stock. I'm looking for 500-550hp if I can do it within my budget.
Old 02-27-2000, 07:30 PM
Posting Guru

Nathan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Trick Flow 460 heads

If your an 18 year old with that kinda power, dont forget to budget for tires. I was 18 once, and its amazing how many tires a 302 can go through!

Nathan
Old 02-27-2000, 09:16 PM
New User

Trick Flow 460 heads

Actually, I'll be 19 in two weeks, but the mentality's still the same. In the 'stang, I really wasn't that bad on tires. I had a few can't see anything but tire smoke all around you burnouts, but I enjoyed hurting my gas mileage with quick acceleration a lot more than sitting still and smelling burnt rubber. Fun, fun, fun! I kinda wish I still had that car - convertible and all, but the insurance just killed me.
Old 02-29-2000, 05:00 PM
Posting Guru

Trail_Rider is starting off with a positive reputation.
Trick Flow 460 heads

I figure from the way you're talking you've already got the 460. If so I have no idea why you're short on power, unless the engine is shot. If that's the case I would suggest a good stock rebuild with some head work (port matching), and an RV cam . I had a stock rebuilt 390/4 speed/3:08 rear that would outrun and out pull anything I've ever seen and it always got a solid 10 mpg - loaded or empty. Just my 2c.

Trail Rider
Old 03-01-2000, 07:20 AM
Elder User

DeenHylton is starting off with a positive reputation.
Trick Flow 460 heads

Old 03-01-2000, 07:20 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460)

Tags
460, 514, 6500rpm, cobra, edelbrock, flow, ford, head, heads, jet, kit, performance, performer, rebuild, rpm, super, trick