Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-18-2011, 09:26 AM
aka Redneck Wrencher

mueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputation
Roland Mueck
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanhead6D5 View Post
I am also running the same set up as Clay.I have had very good results.I am now looking at running duel factory pumps.With the filter set up I have I can run the pumps parallel to each other,not in a front to back setup.this way the fuel will flow through the filters the right way.

Anyone have a good stock pump they want to sell????
I would have given you one Brad, but Franko needed it worse than you. Well, sort of. IIRC, he's still running mine and his OEM is probably still ok due to finding the bad FPR and intank screens. Maybe he will pass it on to you.
'01 F-250 Lariat CC SB 4x4, DP Tuner F6 (live tuned), AFE II Modified GTP38R, 6.0 Techni-cooler, Full Force SS Injectors, Stealth HPOP, Fluidampr, Melling M-208, Walbro FP, mueckster Reg Return & Bowl delete, Comp Cams 910's, mueckster 4R100, 4" SS MBRP, Truetrac rear, 6.0 Trans cooler ...SOLD...
'13 F150 XLT Supercrew 4x4 5.0 Short Box Texas Edition Tuxedo Black with a few mods
Old 09-18-2011, 11:44 AM
Molon Labe

Franko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud of
sunstatefranko
Quote:
Originally Posted by mueckster View Post
I would have given you one Brad, but Franko needed it worse than you. Well, sort of. IIRC, he's still running mine and his OEM is probably still ok due to finding the bad FPR and intank screens. Maybe he will pass it on to you.
My OEM pump is good, Just let me know if you need it Brad. I'll be happy to pass it on.
Early '99 F350 Lariat 2WD 7.3, BTS Trans w/ 6.0 cooler, BTS tunes, 6637 w/Riffraff cover, 4"MBRP, Isspro EV2 gauges, Ranch Hand, 2"leveling kit. HPx, FRx, Coolant Filter, Hutch,Harpoon, NVK5, Terminator-T500, Rosewood stage 1's, 120 IDM 300K club
Frank, PAA#99
B.E.S.T. map
Old 09-19-2011, 09:56 PM
Posting Guru

beanhead6D5 is a name known to allbeanhead6D5 is a name known to allbeanhead6D5 is a name known to allbeanhead6D5 is a name known to allbeanhead6D5 is a name known to allbeanhead6D5 is a name known to all
That would be great Frank! Yes I will take it.I just talked to Roland yesterday and we were brain storming on the twin pump set up.

I'll send you a Pm with my info.
PAA MEMBER #71
2001 f-250 CC 7.3 Auto 4x4 4" Lift
S&B,Van Turbo 6/6 Billet wheel,4"Turbo2Tail,SRP1.1
OSAW RR Fuel,Intank mods
6.0 IC&TC,Gauges,JW tow master Trans
Old 09-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Molon Labe

Franko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud of
sunstatefranko
Quote:
That would be great Frank! Yes I will take it.I just talked to Roland yesterday and we were brain storming on the twin pump set up.

I'll send you a Pm with my info.
Glad I can help "pay it forward".
Thanks to Roland, he got the ball rolling.
Early '99 F350 Lariat 2WD 7.3, BTS Trans w/ 6.0 cooler, BTS tunes, 6637 w/Riffraff cover, 4"MBRP, Isspro EV2 gauges, Ranch Hand, 2"leveling kit. HPx, FRx, Coolant Filter, Hutch,Harpoon, NVK5, Terminator-T500, Rosewood stage 1's, 120 IDM 300K club
Frank, PAA#99
B.E.S.T. map
Old 09-19-2011, 10:13 PM
Postmaster

rat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to behold
Jim Jam Sanders
brad do a duel pump set up with each powered separate so if one goes down you can still get home
Old 09-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Posting Guru

beanhead6D5 is a name known to allbeanhead6D5 is a name known to allbeanhead6D5 is a name known to allbeanhead6D5 is a name known to allbeanhead6D5 is a name known to allbeanhead6D5 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by rat49f6 View Post
brad do a duel pump set up with each powered separate so if one goes down you can still get home
You got it.A whole new service will be run for the other pump.I don't want to over load the fuse that runs the pump now.
PAA MEMBER #71
2001 f-250 CC 7.3 Auto 4x4 4" Lift
S&B,Van Turbo 6/6 Billet wheel,4"Turbo2Tail,SRP1.1
OSAW RR Fuel,Intank mods
6.0 IC&TC,Gauges,JW tow master Trans
Old 09-20-2011, 10:51 PM
Postmaster

WA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to all
My Carter just gave up the ghost, I have a new stock FP, might have to run a duel set up also.......hmmmm
7.3L, Termi-T1000,38R,RR Plenum Inserts, DP F5, 5"exh., 6"Spring Super Lift,RDP SS BL, RDP 650M dash,EV2's, (TCT Trans= POS), DFA RR, TYMAR, H&H, 6.0 IC, REDHEAD,D60,XRF BJ, Glock 21, and some things I forgot......
Work/Hunting/Family Truck.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:03 PM
aka Redneck Wrencher

mueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputation
Roland Mueck
Quote:
You got it.A whole new service will be run for the other pump.I don't want to over load the fuse that runs the pump now.
I ran a separate feed with relay and fuse to my lift pump when I was running it. I left the wiring there when the pump was removed and just took out the fuses. It would be easy to convert mine to "duals" if the need arises.
'01 F-250 Lariat CC SB 4x4, DP Tuner F6 (live tuned), AFE II Modified GTP38R, 6.0 Techni-cooler, Full Force SS Injectors, Stealth HPOP, Fluidampr, Melling M-208, Walbro FP, mueckster Reg Return & Bowl delete, Comp Cams 910's, mueckster 4R100, 4" SS MBRP, Truetrac rear, 6.0 Trans cooler ...SOLD...
'13 F150 XLT Supercrew 4x4 5.0 Short Box Texas Edition Tuxedo Black with a few mods
Old 09-20-2011, 11:36 PM
Posting Guru

BadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by WA.Ranger View Post
My Carter just gave up the ghost, I have a new stock FP, might have to run a duel set up also.......hmmmm
Jeff how long did that carter last you ? And did it leave dead on the side of the road ? I had read somewhere that 1 model of Carter had a bypass if it quit ? Does that sound right?
Ed PAA#121 "It's a sick world and I am a happy guy"
Blackie/E99 F350 Lariat CC DRW 216k: 4" MBRP,up&down pipes coated/wrapped, bellows, T500, Kuzz4R100, TruCool, CCV with catch can, 50cent, E99 turbo/1.0 w.g.turbine, T.M. wastegate, EBPV delete,470-ohm, hutch/harpoon, A/C shim, K&N, Smoked lights

'76 E350 DRW/26' Holiday Ramber 460 4bl C6 : Autometer gauges
Old 09-20-2011, 11:47 PM
Posting Guru

BadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
I ran a separate feed with relay and fuse to my lift pump when I was running it. I left the wiring there when the pump was removed and just took out the fuses. It would be easy to convert mine to "duals" if the need arises.
Roland Did you use the power lead off stock pump to trigger the relay? And if you were to run dual stock pumps if one quit I don't think the stock pump has a bypass. So wouldn't it be trying to push or pull fuel though a stopped vane pump ? I would think if you were going to piggy back fuel pumps there would have to be some kind of bypass. I would think it would be the same even with the carter unless it has a bypass and I don't think the #4070 does. I am wondering if that pump left Jeff dead on the side of the road ?
Blackie/E99 F350 Lariat CC DRW 216k: 4" MBRP,up&down pipes coated/wrapped, bellows, T500, Kuzz4R100, TruCool, CCV with catch can, 50cent, E99 turbo/1.0 w.g.turbine, T.M. wastegate, EBPV delete,470-ohm, hutch/harpoon, A/C shim, K&N, Smoked lights

Old 09-21-2011, 06:56 AM
aka Redneck Wrencher

Roland Mueck
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz View Post
Roland Did you use the power lead off stock pump to trigger the relay? And if you were to run dual stock pumps if one quit I don't think the stock pump has a bypass. So wouldn't it be trying to push or pull fuel though a stopped vane pump ? I would think if you were going to piggy back fuel pumps there would have to be some kind of bypass. I would think it would be the same even with the carter unless it has a bypass and I don't think the #4070 does. I am wondering if that pump left Jeff dead on the side of the road ?
Ed, that is exactly what I did. I tapped into one of the power distribution boxes for the main power and mounted the relay to the fender using an existing bolt. I ran the supply feed to the fuel pump with a weatherpak mini fuse holder before it. The pump was grounded directly to the frame.
I thought about the restriction caused by a stopped pump before the main one and tested that scenario by removing the fuse. I had a pressure test gauge installed on my fuel bowl at the time. IDK the exact amount of pressure loss. It was pretty significant, but still allowed the engine to run well enough too limp home. I always carried a length of hose and some extra clamps with me to perform a "bypass" if the lift pump did fail. I also thought of using T's and ball valves to plumb a bypass around the pump. I figured that to be "overkill" and would be rarely used, so I just carried the hose.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:09 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Ed, that is exactly what I did. I tapped into one of the power distribution boxes for the main power and mounted the relay to the fender using an existing bolt. I ran the supply feed to the fuel pump with a weatherpak mini fuse holder before it. The pump was grounded directly to the frame.
I thought about the restriction caused by a stopped pump before the main one and tested that scenario by removing the fuse. I had a pressure test gauge installed on my fuel bowl at the time. IDK the exact amount of pressure loss. It was pretty significant, but still allowed the engine to run well enough too limp home. I always carried a length of hose and some extra clamps with me to perform a "bypass" if the lift pump did fail. I also thought of using T's and ball valves to plumb a bypass around the pump. I figured that to be "overkill" and would be rarely used, so I just carried the hose.
Well it nice to know that you can still limp it home on 1 pump. I actually like your idea of "over kill" !! Then when it did happen to go out all you would have to do is hit the bypass valve. But where would get a diesel rated ball valve ? But you right it is easier to just carry some hose, barbs, and clamps as a back up. Well my whole game plan for my F350 has just went out the window. I need my carter 4070 for the generator in my motorhome. I think the 4070 runs about 4psi which is going to be perfect. But if it is any higher psi I might need to add a fuel pressure regulator. I have been stealing used parts from my truck for my motorhome. I hate to put new parts on something I only use a few times a year.
So now I am thinking I am going to try the pre filter without a lift pump. Which makes me wonder how long the stock pump will hang in there. Actually I need to get back working on the truck and finish the brake line and put the tank and pre filter in. I want to pull my boat out of the water for the season and then I can tear the truck apart and do it the way I want. Or should I say do what I can as I get the money.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:14 PM
Postmaster

WA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to all
Quote:
Jeff how long did that carter last you ? And did it leave dead on the side of the road ? I had read somewhere that 1 model of Carter had a bypass if it quit ? Does that sound right?
Man, it's lasted quite awhile, maybe 5 years and over 100k. It didn't leave me stranded. I was driving home from my parents house about 60 miles away when I noticed my fuel psi would drop to near zero when I hit the gas more than 1/4 throttle. The motor is what went out on mine, pulled the pump apart and it looked good.
7.3L, Termi-T1000,38R,RR Plenum Inserts, DP F5, 5"exh., 6"Spring Super Lift,RDP SS BL, RDP 650M dash,EV2's, (TCT Trans= POS), DFA RR, TYMAR, H&H, 6.0 IC, REDHEAD,D60,XRF BJ, Glock 21, and some things I forgot......
Old 09-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA.Ranger View Post
Man, it's lasted quite awhile, maybe 5 years and over 100k. It didn't leave me stranded. I was driving home from my parents house about 60 miles away when I noticed my fuel psi would drop to near zero when I hit the gas more than 1/4 throttle. The motor is what went out on mine, pulled the pump apart and it looked good.
Well I am glad you made it home OK !! So are you going to get another Carter or go with a different set up ? And since the motor went did you have it piggy backed off the stock pump or on a relay ?

Old 09-22-2011, 12:15 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Well I am glad you made it home OK !! So are you going to get another Carter or go with a different set up ? And since the motor went did you have it piggy backed off the stock pump or on a relay ?
I had mine piggy backed, not the best way to go. It was a temporary set up that never got upgraded. I don't know how I'm going to go. I do have a brand new factory pump sitting on the shelf and liked the idea of running duals in parallel, but the Carter worked well.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:15 AM