Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Crewcab Only Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 12:10 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
It seems the old for crewcabs server is having an issue. Maybe it will work later.

I hear ya on the hours in these things. I am just getting started on mine (diesel swap right now) and EVERYTHING I do takes longer than expected.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:42 PM
crewcabwannabe
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't reply on the other forum Ron... Great insights.. I'm surprised at just how much of the 550 stuff you can use.. I didn't even think about wiper problems.. sounds like the laws of geometry will come into use for you ;-) I just love the idea that it will pretty much look like a classic crew on the outside, and feel, look, and drive like a 'new' truck on on the inside.. very cool indeed.

Did you seek out the 2001 generation truck on purpose, or is it just what became available? I honestly don't know the Ford years of bodystyle/drivetrain changes after about '96, and I don't know much about diesels either (I've heard there's one Ford diesel to be sure NOT to get... maybe it was a 6.0 or a 6.6 I think??). Compared to my '79 460 crew, My buddies '05 F250 diesel crew doesn't even seem to struggle when we use his truck to tow my trailer.. Torque!!

I ask all these q's because I love this project and what you're gaining by doing it (moving only the classic sheetmetal to the late model frame/drivetrain -instead of retrofitting the modern diesel drivetrain into a '70's frame and suspension), and I'd like to learn which parts and source diesel truck to keep an eye out for.. It's obviously a lot of work, but wow, what a truck when you're done!!

Old 09-17-2008, 01:14 PM
blueknightcrew
Junior User
The First link that I posted, I don't thing I copied the whole link. But the second seems to work. I'm on many sites, it was hard to decide which one to put the build on. I've had so much help from great people on all the great sites so I thank all of them and try to get the word out where they can keep up on the build.

I had a 99 F350 for years and loved the way it ran and rode. So when I started searching for a chassis I new it would be a Superduty chassis with a 7.3. When I found this one it had the 7.3 and a bonus of air ride suspension,the frame was junk. So I started looking for a good frame,found another 2x and got that. Was going to build a 2x but,what's a guy like me without a 4x, so I found a front axle for it and now I have a 01 f550 7.3 auto 4x4 with air suspension.

You have to understand that the F550 stuff doesn't work in the 76, It is made to work. I've been fabbing and creating things in wood and metal since I've been 10 years old. So there's not to may things I won't do or at least try. I don't have alot of specialty tools and expensive equipment, but I use the tools I do have to make do.

So when I get done with this thing, there will be different projects but there won't be a day that I drive by you on the road, that I won't wave and have a smile on my face from ear to ear.

Thanks Ron

Old 09-20-2008, 08:45 PM
1977xrl
New User
I have a 1977 f-250 crew cab shortbox 2wd (engine is a 500 caddy trans is 700r-4) guy should be shot for what he did but this truck has tons of pwoer bed is almost PERFECT rest of body is ALMOST PERFECT minor dings and scratches ARIZONA truck guy said he had 16k invested gave me reciepts its true although it does not quite look like a 16K truck although it is very nice and turns lots of heads willing to sell e-mail me @ fire_fighter_57@yahoo.com if you interested in the truck I also have a 1976 f-50 super cab short bed xlt ranger that is pretty slick too that is for sale 460 auto

Old 09-21-2008, 08:07 AM
78f250lj
Senior User
Hey guys.....my uncle wants to give me a '78 F350 crew cab....it has some rust issues, roof, bottom of doors jambs, and the rear door bottoms. My question is....I know they don't make any patch panels for the bottoms of the rear doors....but has anyone had any experience replacing the sheetmetal using a panel made for the front door by cutting them down to fit?

Or is there anywhere/anyone I can contact about obtaining some rust free roof doors?

Lenny

Old 09-28-2008, 12:24 AM
bendog
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by okwaho1650
Any and all info on crew cabs help I DO want to know about what yours has it helps me a lot keep it all up and keep the info coming to keep our crew cabs trucking
I was looking at your gallery, what is the dash in the green extra cab?

Old 09-30-2008, 11:42 PM
bendog
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
85 F-250, nevermind. Thought it was from New Zealand or something weird like that.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:10 AM
pickupbuilder
New User
Crew Cabs

I am restoring a 77 Crew-Hillbilly Limo is its name. I have done a complete body off resto. Powder coated the frame and the interior of the body, the firewall and even the bottom of the cab. The axle housings and everything that is bolted on. All the nuts and bolts have been bead blasted and powder coated. The cab and nose are just painted. I haven't posted new pics yet but will in the near future. I am running 33's for tires and they look good. 4X4 highboy with Dana 60 front and rear. I have been on this project for 2 years already. Hope to have it done by spring.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:01 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Looks like a cool build. I'm all for powdercoating - but why powdercoat the bolts? It will just make it hard for a socket or wrench to fit on them right and it won't stay on the threads at all. Why not use chromium or zinc plating instead?

Old 10-15-2008, 08:23 AM
pickupbuilder
New User
powdercoat

The reason everything is powdercoated is that I own a shop ith a 20 foot long oven. The powder is only about 3-4 mils thick and sockets or wrenches still work after the powder is cured. The threads are somthing that I touch up with some paint and a q-tip. I started this project wanting to see how far I could go with the powder coating. So a lot of it is a trial basis for me. I have more pics that I need to post.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:02 AM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
I noticed the racks so I figured you had an oven. Even so I don't get doing the bolts. I'd try and trade services with another coater for the bolts but that's just me. Either way I bet they look good and I wish I had an oven that big for coating.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:31 PM
johaner78
Elder User
OK crewcab guys, how many of you have taken rear doors from one truck cab and put them on a different cab? How did they fit? Did you have to do some major/ minor fabrication work to make them fit perfectly? Just wondering because someone told me each set of rear doors was "custom, hand-made for that cab". Just curious.
Thanks!

Old 10-24-2008, 06:43 PM
pickupbuilder
New User
Rear dooes

I had my cab off and sand blasted it. When you look at the bottom it is very obvious that each ab is going to be different. I had the rear doors all apart and they are not the same. If you change doors from one truck to another expaect to spen a lot of time on making them fit correctly. Good Luck

Old 10-24-2008, 06:56 PM
johaner78
Elder User
pickupbuilder - my project is in the same shape - media blasted cab and all doors apart. Have you changed doors from one cab to another or are you just speculating about the potential problem / lots of work to make them fit? Can't think that the cabs would be that much different.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:20 PM
johaner78
Elder User
Anyone swapped rear doors from one cab to another??? How did they fit? How much work did you have to do to make them fit perfectly?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Crewcab Only Thread.