Bio Fuel Reality Check - finally

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 09:13 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tazo
Isn't it nice to moderate in a good way! If you want to add something how about a little Bio in your truck? And then let us know how you like the smell.
It is indeed.

I run B5 about every 4th or 5th tank. The problem is it's 28 miles (round trip) out of the way, and is $.20 per gallon higher. But I still do it on the "every little bit helps" mentality. As soon as somebody local, or at least on my normal route picks it up I will run it all the time.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:28 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phyd, I checked into the Camelina. It appears that this "weed" has adapted fairly well like its other brothers in the Mustard family. However, compared to "crops" this plant basically has an unknown status." I searched for quite a bit and different find much on it reguarding agronomic material.

I talked to some of my grad professors about it. After searching through the archives for a while we found some informaiton on the sativa. We discussed possilbly getting a test plot going. However, still clueless on how to sow this stuff. Did you hydro-seed it or what? Surely you can't broadcast this stuff???

One thing that really surprised me was the seeds per pound. How the heck did you sow this for your test plot? Somewhere between 350,000 to 450,000 IIRC.
Also, for you older gentlemen, how are the prices now comparing to the prices back in the seventies during the embargo? Are concerns/opinnions similar now as to what they were back then? Just curious.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:08 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Fabman would be the one to talk to about that. He has a crop in the ground I don,t yet

Old 03-06-2008, 09:08 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by FARM69
Phyd, I checked into the Camelina. It appears that this "weed" has adapted fairly well like its other brothers in the Mustard family. However, compared to "crops" this plant basically has an unknown status." I searched for quite a bit and different find much on it reguarding agronomic material.

I talked to some of my grad professors about it. After searching through the archives for a while we found some informaiton on the sativa. We discussed possilbly getting a test plot going. However, still clueless on how to sow this stuff. Did you hydro-seed it or what? Surely you can't broadcast this stuff???

One thing that really surprised me was the seeds per pound. How the heck did you sow this for your test plot? Somewhere between 350,000 to 450,000 IIRC.
Also, for you older gentlemen, how are the prices now comparing to the prices back in the seventies during the embargo? Are concerns/opinnions similar now as to what they were back then? Just curious.
Broadcasting is the only way to seed camelina. I am paying $1/pound for seed this spring, and it only requires 1 pound /acre! Minimum tillage is required, but it should be seeded BEFORE March 1st. I contracted out my seed crop at $.18 per pound FOB my ranch, so the price is comparable to Canola with a lot less input.

I have quite a few links to camelina studies, I'll try and post them later on today.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:18 AM
FARM69
Postmaster
Thanks fabman. I would like to get a plot going over here. Although, time will be a major problem in a about a month.

I figured broadcasting would be the only option. The side of this seed is rediculous. A few people tried Canola a fews back in my area and it fell on its face. It would be nice just to how Camelina sativa would do though.