water/methanol nozzle sizing

Old 02-10-2008, 08:17 PM
BlueOval460
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
water/methanol nozzle sizing

i am rebuilding my 93 5.0 n/a in my f150 with a little more compression slightly bigger cam and i was going to advance the timing (valve and ignition) a good bit but i would like to be able to run 87 or 91 octane without detonation so i figure that i could run water injection to keep it from pinging, what size nozzle(s) should i use? should i go with port injection or could i get the same or near the same results with one single large nozzle?

Old 02-11-2008, 09:22 AM
mrpositraction
Tuned
Never understood why people would spend the money to build and engine but then not run good fuel. Run premium all the time PERIOD. Depending on methanol injection is just asking for trouble, that bottle runs out, then what? Set it up right, or suffer the consequences!

Old 02-13-2008, 09:17 PM
BlueOval460
Junior User
First let me say that i appreciate your opinion, but from what i have read just glancing over some sites and from some of the classes i actually paid attention to in school, there isnt much difference in the btu's of energy in regular and premium (actually Regular gasoline has more btu's than aviation fuel which is 100 octane ,(125K:120K), you make the power from the compression, timing, and or boost that makes you use the higher octane fuel. So therefore by using water injection you can use lower octane fuel and make more power. not trying to be a smart *** and definately not saying that i know alot about water injection (thats why i originally posted) but those are the reasons i have considered for using water injection but like you say if the bottle runs out then i'd be screwed but i would probably use a rather large tank say a couple of gallons and i would check it regularly and have a gauge to monitor the water pressure, weight isnt an issue as its going to be in a 4x4 "almost" daily driven truck, not tryin to make any enemies just stating my reasoning

Old 02-14-2008, 08:39 AM
mrpositraction
Tuned
Originally Posted by BlueOval460
First let me say that i appreciate your opinion, but from what i have read just glancing over some sites and from some of the classes i actually paid attention to in school, there isnt much difference in the btu's of energy in regular and premium (actually Regular gasoline has more btu's than aviation fuel which is 100 octane ,(125K:120K), you make the power from the compression, timing, and or boost that makes you use the higher octane fuel. So therefore by using water injection you can use lower octane fuel and make more power. not trying to be a smart *** and definately not saying that i know alot about water injection (thats why i originally posted) but those are the reasons i have considered for using water injection but like you say if the bottle runs out then i'd be screwed but i would probably use a rather large tank say a couple of gallons and i would check it regularly and have a gauge to monitor the water pressure, weight isnt an issue as its going to be in a 4x4 "almost" daily driven truck, not tryin to make any enemies just stating my reasoning
No enemies here, this forum is for both parties to learn and have an adult conversation. The small amount of BTU gain you are going to see is neither worth the risk of the water/methonal injection. It is not just the running out either, you have a pump to worry about, and you have a very very fine nozzle where small debris can easily get stuck and clog. Also, the higher octane, which I am sure you know, is more of concern in its regards to anti-knock. It has built in what you are trying to accomplish with lower octane combined with and water/methanol injection system.

Good luck with either route and keep us posted.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Bamfster
New User
I'm putting a water/meth together for my truck (diesel) and I will also try it on my N2O injected bracket car. I found this site: http://oilburners.net/articles/splash.htm. Not that this is the way to put one together but some good info none the less.