Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2008, 07:58 PM
Freshman User

Mr.ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Jet Fuel

Hey all ,

Has anyone ever used jet fuel? if so what did you do to the fuel ? i heard something like you can add some oil and its good to go ..
Old 02-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Posting Guru

George D. is starting off with a positive reputation.
Most air force support vehicles are ru off jet fule I think tey just dump it in but I'd add some oil if it were going in my truck.
94 F350 Crew Cab Long bed 4X4 6.9L with turbo AKA The Land Yacht. E4OD, 4.10 posi. Getting further from stock with 35 inch BFG alterains on 16 inch micky's, straight pipe, Triple A-piller pod with pyro, boost, modifyed oil presure gauge,Vote for my truck here
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/97...round-8-a.html

Semper-Fidelis
Old 02-10-2008, 09:01 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Jet fuel is basically Kerosene, and has 0 lubricants in it. If your going to use it you'll have to add some form of oil.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 02-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Posting Guru

monckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to behold
JP-8 is an authorized substitute for diesel in all USAF engines that burn diesel. It does have various additives to prevent bacterial growth, etc. It's been in use for many years.

I'd run it if I had a diesel, with some two-stroke oil for extra lubricity.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:31 AM
Elder User

LilDuke is starting off with a positive reputation.
jp-1 was almost totaly kero. jp-2~jp4 was kero with naptha... I think jp-4 was half kero, half mogas. jp-8 is basically fuel oil with a bunch of additives to raise it's flash point, and prevent coke deposits. As it's used as a lube, coolant, hydraulic, and fuel. It was designed to replace having to cart around a bunch of different fuels. jp-2(fuel#2) jp-4(jet), avgas, mogas. etc.

Hiding in my own little corner of the world!
Old 02-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Posting Guru

monckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to behold
You an Engine troop? Only those folks would tend to know the other "on engine" uses of Jet fuel.
JP-8 use took off after the Pope "Green Ramp" crash. It was decided that losing a few aircraft to inabliity to restart in the air was a better tradeoff than the high flammability of JP-4.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:26 PM
Freshman User

Herkmafia is starting off with a positive reputation.
used to work at an FBO that used Jet A in their john deer to cut the grass on the field

Dont know if I'd want to use it in my 6.0 though.

On a side note, you'd be suprised what you can run a turbine engine on (for a little while)

Also, Jet A is running about $4.65 to over $5.00 for aviation use.

Last edited by Herkmafia; 02-11-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:42 PM
Posting Guru

"On a side note, you'd be suprised what you can run a turbine engine on (for a little while) "

Herk engines trim to temperature, and our AFETS rep told us they'd burn quite a variety of petroleum fuels. I'm impressed with any aircraft where you can smash the tail with an F-16 and still land!
Old 02-11-2008, 07:03 PM
Posting Guru

littleme13 has a good reputation on FTE.littleme13 has a good reputation on FTE.
jp-8 is safe to run in your diesels. most guys i new would only fill there tanks half way then come into work and barrow our fuel sample waste containers and fill the rest. one guy did use a 2 stroke oil just cuz he felt safer but i know a guy that rana cummins for 6 months off straight jp-8 and had no problems.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Elder User

LilDuke is starting off with a positive reputation.
77F

jp-8 has all the lube required for diesel engines. Nothing else is needed for proper performance/longetivity.

As far as fuel reqirement for a jet engine. As long as it'll burn, but not too fast, it'll power a jet engine. I've seen em run on propane.

They work very simmilar to a diesel engine as they compress air, squirt in fuel, and ignite.

Hiding in my own little corner of the world!

Last edited by LilDuke; 02-11-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:19 PM
Freshman User

Mr.ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
hmm .. well not sure what kinda jet fuel i have .. just that i have about 400 liters worth. Ill have to find out let everyone know
Old 02-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Posting Guru

George D. is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'll ask the stupid question. Where did you get jet fule? were the gaurds at the airport not watching
94 F350 Crew Cab Long bed 4X4 6.9L with turbo AKA The Land Yacht. E4OD, 4.10 posi. Getting further from stock with 35 inch BFG alterains on 16 inch micky's, straight pipe, Triple A-piller pod with pyro, boost, modifyed oil presure gauge,Vote for my truck here
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/97...round-8-a.html

Semper-Fidelis
Old 02-12-2008, 09:23 PM
Posting Guru

littleme13 has a good reputation on FTE.littleme13 has a good reputation on FTE.
i used to be in the navy and worked on jets and turbo prop planes. its amazing what you can get your hands on when you knwo the right people.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Postmaster

zhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to all
This whole thread reminds me of everything I've ever heard about a "Duce & a half". They'll burn anything you put in the tank. I don't know how much of that is true...but it's starting to sound like there is some truth to that statement.
2004 F250 6.0L 2WD CC "Pavement Princess"
2007 Monaco Starwood SL 31BHD
2012 Focus SEL (Wife's ride)
Old 02-13-2008, 11:00 AM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhilton
This whole thread reminds me of everything I've ever heard about a "Duce & a half". They'll burn anything you put in the tank. I don't know how much of that is true...but it's starting to sound like there is some truth to that statement.
True. It's called a "multi-fuel" engine, and will run on just about any liquid that will burn. After working on them "overseas" in the "60's" all I can say is THEY ARE A PAIN IN THE *** to work on...................

This will describe it better: http://www.tpub.com/content/engine/1...s/14081_20.htm

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE

Last edited by fabmandelux; 02-13-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:00 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
73, ak, alternative, barrow, bowsers, burning, diesel, duramax, f250, ford, fordfuel, fuel, jet, jeta50, run