1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Ford Speed Control Recall - Check your vehicles !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 01:28 PM
madsonp
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
Ford Speed Control Recall - Check your vehicles !!!!

Due to the recent vehicle fire (yesterday) of one of our forum members (found at the following post) https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...he-ground.html, I though I'd send this information out again.
For those of you who own or have recently purchased a Ford product there's an important recall that if not repaired or disabled could cause your vehicle to catch on fire. The vehicle doesn't need to be running for this to happen. The following link gives a list of affected vehicles covered under the recall.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/defect/relatedDefectsSummary.cfm?RCL_ID=05V388000&defectI dlist=EA05005&ModuleType=Vehiclestype=VEHICLE

If your not sure if this has been repaired or disabled on your vehicle then see the following photos. If this has not been done disconnect, or have the switch disconnected as soon a possible. Do not park your vehicle inside until this has been completed due to risk of fire.

Here's what to look for from my vehicles:

The first photo is my wifes 97, we haven't done the recall repair on hers yet but we've diconnected the switch (notice nothing plugged into the pink connector, the plug is hanging above the switch taped up with electrical tape to protect the contacts from corrosion) which is what you need to do if you haven't done it yet. The switch is on the end of the brake fluid reservior.

The next photo shows the recall repair harness on my 99 (notice the blue lables and tags).

For more information you can visit : http://www.recalls.gov/nhtsa.html

Please pass this information on to those you know who might be affected by this recall.

Last edited by madsonp; 02-10-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:43 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Just in the way of an FYI, I took my new (to me) '02 Navigator in to the Lincoln/Mercury dealer last November to have it checked to see if this recall had been done. It hadn't been done so they disconnected the Cruise Control connector and taped it up like madsonp pictured above. And then they informed me that the part to fix is on backorder and probably won't be available until 2nd quarter of '08!

Old 02-10-2008, 09:42 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
This problem should be a PERMANENT sticky in every forum referring to trucks that use this style switch because even with recalls we all know it will never go away.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:52 PM
amm888
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any ideas on how to tell whether the recall has been performed on one's truck? My CC wire has a tightly wrapped blue label on it that has misc numbers and letters on it. It also has a white label that reads "made in Mexico."

Old 02-24-2008, 12:28 AM
madsonp
Originally Posted by amm888
Any ideas on how to tell whether the recall has been performed on one's truck? My CC wire has a tightly wrapped blue label on it that has misc numbers and letters on it. It also has a white label that reads "made in Mexico."
If it looks the same as the picture above, it's been done. Also the way you discribe it, it sounds to me like it's been done. If you're still unsure, take it to your local Ford dealer and they could tell you for sure.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:38 AM
i1dery
Posting Guru
Is this for trucks with Cruise Control only???

Old 02-24-2008, 09:35 AM
amm888
Elder User
Originally Posted by madsonp
If it looks the same as the picture above, it's been done. Also the way you discribe it, it sounds to me like it's been done. If you're still unsure, take it to your local Ford dealer and they could tell you for sure.
well, it doesn't look exactly like the picture above. my blue tag is tightly bound to the wire. i'll just pull the plug to be safe until i get around to taking her to a dealer.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:38 AM
tommyleea
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The fix is a jumper wire with a fuse in it. Ford doesn't seem to be very proactive for a problem that burns your vehicle to the ground.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:11 PM
operator414
Senior User
i just went out and checked my 99 expy that I bought last month and it already has the update, looks like they installed a inline fuse? but, it does has the blue tags and looks fairly new.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:36 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
"The fix is a jumper wire with a fuse in it. Ford doesn't seem to be very proactive for a problem that burns your vehicle to the ground."

'Proactive" would have been eliminating that switch and using a mechanical unit instead. Insisting on retaining such an ignorant design (the always-on power to the system is not smart either) deserves a smackdown.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:41 PM
sbclemens
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone know what the new harness consists of? Since the replacement harness is back ordered until ... is there an alternative to disconnecting the switch that we can instal until the new harness'es arrive?

Old 02-24-2008, 05:58 PM
madsonp
Originally Posted by i1dery
Is this for trucks with Cruise Control only???
As far as I know

Old 02-24-2008, 06:01 PM
madsonp
Originally Posted by sbclemens
Anyone know what the new harness consists of? Since the replacement harness is back ordered until ... is there an alternative to disconnecting the switch that we can instal until the new harness'es arrive?
There is no alternative that I'm aware of, the dealers just unplug it as shown until they can install the fix. Hey sbclemens, what are you doing here ? Don't you have a motor to put back together ?

Old 02-24-2008, 07:51 PM
sbclemens
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by madsonp
There is no alternative that I'm aware of, the dealers just unplug it as shown until they can install the fix. Hey sbclemens, what are you doing here ? Don't you have a motor to put back together ?
Yup! No warpage on the heads. Now I'm going to gut them, clean them up and reinstall.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:18 AM
tommyleea
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by monckywrench
"The fix is a jumper wire with a fuse in it. Ford doesn't seem to be very proactive for a problem that burns your vehicle to the ground."

'Proactive" would have been eliminating that switch and using a mechanical unit instead. Insisting on retaining such an ignorant design (the always-on power to the system is not smart either) deserves a smackdown.
You got that right. I have a 94...yes I said a 94Mark VIII, with the same recall.
Who is driving that bus??

Quick Reply: Ford Speed Control Recall - Check your vehicles !!!!