2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to DIY the front shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 08:30 AM
RussWhite
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is it possible to DIY the front shocks?

Has anyone on the forum changed the front shocks on an '05 or similar 4WD SCREW? If so, I sure would appreciate your comments on what to do and any special tools required or things to be careful about. I have the shocks and the time. Thanks, Russ

Old 01-26-2008, 09:08 AM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
It is a pretty simple process, and shouldn't take more than about 2 hours to do all of them.
You will need a spring compressor. I rented one from autozone, and got all the deposit back when I returned it. You will need the one that compresses the spring from the outside not the inside(the shock is inside).

IF you can install the Leveling kits on these trucks, then this is even easier.
I just seperated the upper ball joint from the knuckle, swung it out of the way and zip tied it up so the axle shaft wouldn't drop all the way and possibly ruin it.

Only thing to make sure of is the possition of the spring, mark the front of the spring before you take it out, then put the marked part back faceing up front.

Take the whole coil over shock out and then compress the spring, swap shocks, and put it back together.

Only thing is you will need different size metric wrenches and deep sockets.

Last edited by MBBFord; 01-26-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:46 AM
coin1230
New User
I am thinking of doing this and like to know the size of the deep sockets.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:53 AM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
I really don't remember what the sizes were....16, 17 19, something like that.

I bought a set from harbor freight for about $10, which would be about the price of 2-3 single sockets.

You will need different size combinations for the rear..... they're easy to change if you have the proper sizes.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:07 AM
GlennJ
Freshman User
Coin1230, I see you are from SoDak. MBBFord is from Lousiana. If they use salt on your roads in Winter the job is going to be tougher than in LA. More muscle and longer socket handles.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:38 AM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Nothing some WD40 and a cheater bar won't fix.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:30 AM
great white
Mountain Pass
RuusWhite, did you get a chance to replace your shocks? If so how did it go?

Old 02-01-2008, 12:52 PM
RussWhite
Freshman User
Well, I am part way done. I installed the rears as they were easy. Now it seems there is a little noise from back there when I go over a bump. The ones I removed had no resistance to movement at all. So I am glad I replaced them. I have a spring compressor on order from Harbor Freight and will attempt the fronts when it gets here. I'll try to remember to update this thread with how that goes and maybe even some pictures if I don't screw it up. Russ

Old 02-03-2008, 02:04 PM
baitmaster
Posting Guru
A few mo back I replaced the rears on 05 XLT. Was amazed at how easily they pushed down, considering they only had 5K m on them. Havent tackled the fronts yet, but after seeing how bad the rears were, it wont be long.

Old 02-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by MBBFord
Nothing some beer and cussing won't fix.
fixed it for ya

Old 02-03-2008, 06:24 PM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
"Only thing to make sure of is the possition of the spring, mark the front of the spring before you take it out, then put the marked part back faceing up front."

the spring should only go on one way, since the bolt pattern for the top spring cap is not an even 120 degrees inbetween bolts, and the cap will only sit correctly on the spring one way.......

Old 02-03-2008, 08:38 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mattd17
the spring should only go on one way, since the bolt pattern for the top spring cap is not an even 120 degrees inbetween bolts, and the cap will only sit correctly on the spring one way.......
Your right, the whole assembly can only go it one way.... I was referring to the spring when it was taken off the shock.... to put everything back just like it was(I didn't on one side and had a shudder sound every time I hit a bump, so I went back and fixed it up, and no more shudder).

Old 02-04-2008, 07:05 AM
great white
Mountain Pass
For those that changed the front shocks, what spring compressor did you use? I have looked at them, harbor freight brand scares me a bit, I was looking at the Powerbuilt one, instead of having hooks it uses U bolts. Looks a little more safe. Then again for changing just stock shocks I wouldnt think you would need to compress all that much versus one that might be adding a spacer at the top.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:07 AM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
If your just adding the leveling kit on top of the coil over shock assembly, then you don't need the spring compressor.
I rented a spring compressor from Auto Zone that had the hooks that would grap the spring from the outside of the coil.(they tried to give me one for the inside... can't use that one, the shock is inside). Worked good, and when I brought it back, I got a full refund on the rental.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:44 PM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
the one that i used just had the outside hooks, and also came with a "safety kit".... just a extra set of hooks to hold the main hooks into the spring so it wont (or shouldnt) pop off. and yes, if you are just replacing stock struts to the same size, you wont need to compress it much... now, when i installed my 6" RCD strut.... that was SCARRY !!!! i had to compress them so much that the main screw shaft on the compressor was actually bending....... these compressors afterall are nicknamed "widow-makers" for a reason !!!!

Quick Reply: Is it possible to DIY the front shocks?