2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

First Real 4-wheelin' Trip in the EL

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 03:50 PM
nebmike
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Real 4-wheelin' Trip in the EL

Finally had a chance to do some actual off-roading in the new EL yesterday. I was a little worried about the (very!) limited wheel travel -- especially considering I've come from solid axle vehicles with LOTS of travel -- but I must say I was pleasantly surprised. I've got some pics in the gallery.

Compared to the viscous coupling set up in the t-case and diffs (Quadra-Trac) in the last Grand Cherokee I had, the Advance Trac traction control system works way better at transfering torque for better traction.

I ran Seven Mile Trail in the mountains of northern Colorado and spent an aweful lot of time on 3 wheels (or teedering on just 2) and even on some pretty steep inclines I was able to keep moving forward. This trail isnt overly challenging when its dry but there's several inches of snow most of the way up right now.

Ground clearance was an issue, but I'm gonna be doing a lift kit soon (and I'm getting rid of the running boards). Other than that, my only real complaint was that the Advance Trac system seemed to only offer a limited amount of time (a few seconds) before it would completely shut off due to warm brakes. Which brings me to a question...

...does anybody know whether the ABS and/or Brake lights on the dash are supposed to light up when the system disables itself because of warm brakes? Mine did this and then they'd go off after a couple minutes.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:22 AM
kenttrudiw
Senior User
Nice photos!

Are you worried about breaking loose any rattles in such a fine ride?

My Wife would kill me if she saw her plush ride up on 3 wheels!

We took our brand new 2004 Expedition on the Guanella Pass road, the worst this road had was the washboard surface. My wife still swares to this day that is why the the 2004 rattled so much for the 2 1/2 years we owned it.....

My 2007 is the same color as yours, good color pick!

Old 02-11-2008, 11:25 AM
nebmike
Senior User
Originally Posted by kenttrudiw
Nice photos!

Are you worried about breaking loose any rattles in such a fine ride?

We took our brand new 2004 Expedition on the Guanella Pass road, the worst this road had was the washboard surface. My wife still swares to this day that is why the the 2004 rattled so much for the 2 1/2 years we owned it.....

My 2007 is the same color as yours, good color pick!
Its funny you mention that cuz I HATE squeeks and rattles. But nah, I pretty much just creep along so theres not too much chance of shaking anything loose too bad.

People always look at me funny when I take my rigs on some of the trails... especially the Jeep guys when I'd show up at the top of Heart Attack Hill or Spring Creek Trail in my Excursion. lol They'd be like, "how in the h$LL did he get THAT thing in here?!?" I doubt I'll be doing too many rock trails in the EL, but I'm sure it'll end up a few places that no 'normal' person would take it.

I've never been up over Guanella Pass. The only time I tried was in the winter a couple years ago and there was about 20" of unplowed snow and I was by myself. I thought it not the wisest of choices.

I'm gonna be up that way when the weather warms up a bit because I have a bunch of Geocache's (www.geocaching.com) I need to find places to hide.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:27 AM
nebmike
Senior User
Originally Posted by kenttrudiw
You need to take it for the day and then come back with a printout of MY pictures. Say, "look at what that thing'll do, HONEY!"

Old 02-11-2008, 11:48 AM
kenttrudiw
Senior User
That would be a good one!

Keep us posted of the Colorado trail runs. I hope to explore a couple of them myself, as long as they are not to wash boardie!

It this truck starts to rattle, my wife would be pushed over the edge.....