1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

ZMax oil and gas treatment any good?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 01:45 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cstem
I have used slick 50 with good results in a 86 S-10 Blazer and a 99 Chrysler 300M.The Slick 50 did lower colant temp and increase gas milage by 2 to 3 mpg.I have also been witness to the bearing pressure test where they use a roller bearing and a electric motor and put pressure on the bearing usingdifferant oils.Mobil1 did not fare very well but if you add Teflon to any oil it did well,but Castrol took second place.Try switching to Motocraft filters and Castrol GTX high millage or there Syntech. I have been using Castrol for 31 years in many different Ford vehicles including my 06 F-350. Castrol oil is rated right bellow Amzoil in there (Amzoils) own tests.
thats a lot of unsubstatiated claims right there. Slick 50 is just teflon in a soluable form. Amount all it does is cause bearings to seize and oil galleries to plug up. Check the FTCs report on it. Dupont sells the Teflon used in it, but they won't let them use the Teflon name.

Castrol is a short lived group3 oil, which does provide good lubrication, but for long term use, it lags way behind in stability compared with Amsoil. Funny how you can slant a test by leaving out information.

I used to use Castrol, gave up on it, when it consistently proved it couldn't outlast regular oil. Mobil1 doesn't fare well in tests because they keep testing the group-III version. Even the PAO version is more cheaply made, they compromise a lot so they can mass market it. Amsoil is less concerned with mass marketing, for them the tests tell the story, the complete tests. They make an oil for those that know what they want. I am using Amsoil currently, so far I am happy with it, it has excellent long term oxidation resistance. I have been running the oil in there now for almost 20,000 miles. Still medium light colors, no sludge. Castrol turns black very quickly in comparison because it has little buffer capacity.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:09 AM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This company BND Automotive LLC) is popular on the Charger forums I watch. I've been using this additive ACES IV Gasoline Formula Fuel Catalyst in my Thunderbird. So far I've been able to bump up my timing to near where it's supposed to be. I'm also running it trough the Ranger which has the 2.5L 5 speed. I really don't see an increase in fuel mileage though. It's getting anywhere from 23 to 25 mpg's. He also customs blends oil to your specific needs and driving habits. Here's a link to an article where GM compared his oil to Mobil 1 using a Z06 Corvette. GM's LS6 Z06 Crate Motor - Test - Power Adders - GM High-Tech

Several members on the Charger forums who use his oil, have been sending samples to Blackstone. Most of them are going 10,000 miles on oil changes. I don't know if their leaving the filter on that long or changing it out.

In my Ranger, I run the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend and a Motorcraft filter. Changed at 5,000 miles, same wit hour Sable. Our Charger gets Mobil 1 with the Mopar filter and changed at 5,000 miles. The Thunderbird gets Valvoline Racing oil, a bottle of ZDDP, Motorcraft filter and is changed twice a year. But then it only averages 1,000 to 1,500 miles a year.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:05 PM
racetek27
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zMax

Originally Posted by shelbyville
Has anyone used the Zmax oil and gas treatment with any success. I have a 90 Ford Ranger with a 2.3L engine. Its not the original engine. It has abut 50K on it. I have owned the truck for about 6 months. Runs OK but wondering if XMax in the oil and gas would help it along, or could it hurt it. Anyone use this stuff and have a bad experience with it?
Reading on the search's I found this old post that I can steer you in a direction to help answer your questions on zMax.

I've used it as an engine builder for 30 years as well as in aircraft engines. There's some post's on this site that are showing the old initial FTC complaint without the conclusion in favor of zMax.

I'd recommend that you visit Bob Is The Oil Guy and type zMax in the search.

They've had a lot of recent discussion posted and most importantly, one of their founding members named Johnny has used the product for many years and has posted the correct fact's on the FTC outcome as well as made available the several million dollars of ASTM/SAE testing performed by zMax and other information as well.

Tech minded members will understand what their reading.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:07 AM
bankshot
Senior User
Old 10-26-2010, 01:06 AM
racetek27
New User
zMax on Bob is The Oil Guy

Originally Posted by bankshot
Oh well. All I can do is bring the horse to the watering hole. If he don't know how to drink it, this is what is posted ?????????

There has to be serious members that can read ASTM/SAE Testing.......... and want to learn about zMax. They'll find it.