Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-06-2008, 09:00 PM
Posting Guru

guthrie&co has a very good reputation on FTE.guthrie&co has a very good reputation on FTE.guthrie&co has a very good reputation on FTE.
what do you do with the waste from bio production?

I am thinking of getting the fuel mister system and the only hold back is what do you do with the waste from production?
Old 02-06-2008, 10:23 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by guthrie&co
I am thinking of getting the fuel mister system and the only hold back is what do you do with the waste from production?
You have several options: 1, If you use NaOH the glycerol makes a great weed killer. 2, If you use KOH you can use the glycerol as a fertilizer. 3, In the right burner it can be used as process heat. 4, You can make soap out of it. 5, When mixed 50-50 with water it can be used as a dust control for gravel roads. 6, If you use KOH you can add up to 10% by weight as a feed supplement in livestock feeds.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 02-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Posting Guru

guthrie&co has a very good reputation on FTE.guthrie&co has a very good reputation on FTE.guthrie&co has a very good reputation on FTE.
The first and last options sound the best to me. As a landscape contractor that would help me there but I don't know what my mix rates would be nor would I be able to produce the required documents when the pesticide inspector comes around. Might have to do some research on that. The last option is what I feally like. How would I go about selling the stuff to the feed mills Since I dont have any livestock

Oh and fill me in please what is NaOH? and KOH?
Old 02-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
NaOH = Sodium Hydroxide (draino)
KOH = Potasium Hydroxide
Old 02-07-2008, 08:25 PM
Posting Guru

i take it that those are ingredients that you use with the methanol and wvo to make the bio?
Old 02-07-2008, 09:20 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by guthrie&co
i take it that those are ingredients that you use with the methanol and wvo to make the bio?
Yes. Try this site first: http://www.biodieselcommunity.org It has tutorials that will take you thru the process from start to finish. Plans to build an "appleseed" style processor, and suppliers that will sell you a kit. If you have questions, come back here and one of us will try and find an answer for you.

Good luck! I'll start my 5th year on biodiesel next month.........

Last edited by fabmandelux; 02-07-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Senior User

Gun-Driver is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey Fabman,
A couple of questions for ya,
1) Is the NaOH still a weed killer with the methanol removed.
2) I'm sure you have to remove the methanol from the KOH before using it for fertilizer don't you?
3) Do you apply it straight or do you thin it with something for fertilizing?
And last question
How can you tell if you have all the methanol out of it?
Old 02-08-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun-Driver
Hey Fabman,
A couple of questions for ya,
1) Is the NaOH still a weed killer with the methanol removed.
2) I'm sure you have to remove the methanol from the KOH before using it for fertilizer don't you?
3) Do you apply it straight or do you thin it with something for fertilizing?
And last question
How can you tell if you have all the methanol out of it?
1) NaOH based glycerol without the Methanol is a very good weed killer, [it's the Sodium that kills]

2) You would not HAVE to recover the Methanol from the glycerol, [ it will soon evaporate in a short time] It just makes economic sense to recover as much as you can.......

3) I use it on my alfalfa fields, mix it 50/50 with water, and apply at 8 gal per acre.

Last question, Once you start recovering the Methanol [ which ever method you use] it will slowly stop producing methanol, when it quits "dripping" it's done

Old 02-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Senior User

Gun-Driver is starting off with a positive reputation.
Last question, Once you start recovering the Methanol [ which ever method you use] it will slowly stop producing methanol, when it quits "dripping" it's done[/QUOTE]

Thats what I do but I'm always a little gun shy to spray it on my lawn, in case for some reason there's some methanol left in it.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:03 PM

Try it on a small patch where you have a hard time growing grass and see how it works.............

Old 02-12-2008, 11:57 AM
Posting Guru

AndysFords is starting off with a positive reputation.
I spread mine out on the ground on a sunny day and let whatever methanol is left evaporate out. When I switch to KOH I will probably mix some in with the cattle feed.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:57 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
biodiesel, bioproduction, control, desert, fertilizer, fertillzer, glycerin, glycerine, glycerol, killer, lawn, make, methanol, naoh, spread, weed