Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-04-2014, 11:12 AM
Elder User

70f100longbed has a good reputation on FTE.70f100longbed has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmrayt View Post
so you are saying even if the cams have turned out of time that putting them back to the marked link on the chain will put it back in time no matter how much it had turned?
Only if the single mark is lined up with the mark on the crank gear. If there is any doubt the chain is lined up on the crank then take it off and reset the cam and crank according to my post on the first page. Just as long as the keyway on the crank is at 11-12 o'clock none of the pistons will be at TDC and you can rotate the cams to line everything up. A 4.6 is done the same way except when you stretch out the chain both ends will look like l and you use those 2 links for the timing marks.
Every 5.4 3V owner should have Lisle tool #65600
8L3Z-6M280-B updated VCT solenoids for 5.4 3V rattle
Old 08-04-2014, 12:21 PM
New User

wmrayt is starting off with a positive reputation.
timing off?

The reason I ask is because the chain marks line up with the marks on the phazers but they are just backwards from my understanding. The Right one(passenger side) Has the L lined up and the Left one (drivers side) has the R lined up. This is backwards isnt it?
And if so, how do I put them right? can I just rotated them clockwise to marks?
Old 08-04-2014, 01:44 PM
Elder User

70f100longbed has a good reputation on FTE.70f100longbed has a good reputation on FTE.
Thats ok the engine is just on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke. Like I said earlier, if there is any doubt take the chains off and retime it. You can turn the cams 180 degrees if the crank key is at 11 o'clock but don't force anything just to be safe.
Every 5.4 3V owner should have Lisle tool #65600
8L3Z-6M280-B updated VCT solenoids for 5.4 3V rattle
Old 09-13-2014, 02:04 PM
New User

duckerii is starting off with a positive reputation.
Had ahead gasketleak. I got a new headgasket set and followed all the instructions to set the timing . ..Got the 1st cylinder tdc. . Put the two links on cam marks single on crank. Everything stayed on mark. .. rebuilt the rest of the motor. When I started the motor it was fine for about 4 miles then started running rough. figured i skipped a tooth because i reused the old tensioners. So back into the motor again. After opening the timing cover I could feel slack in the chain. So I got the new tensioners Redid the whole timing process again. when I turned the key I just got one clunk. And that's it. .so I took it apart and redid it all again and same thing. . One clunk. Motor doesn't turn over. Anyone have any ideas what went wrong
Old 09-13-2014, 03:15 PM
Postmaster

m-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant futurem-chan68 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckerii View Post
Had ahead gasketleak. I got a new headgasket set and followed all the instructions to set the timing . ..Got the 1st cylinder tdc. . Put the two links on cam marks single on crank. Everything stayed on mark. .. rebuilt the rest of the motor. When I started the motor it was fine for about 4 miles then started running rough. figured i skipped a tooth because i reused the old tensioners. So back into the motor again. After opening the timing cover I could feel slack in the chain. So I got the new tensioners Redid the whole timing process again. when I turned the key I just got one clunk. And that's it. .so I took it apart and redid it all again and same thing. . One clunk. Motor doesn't turn over. Anyone have any ideas what went wrong
If the engine jumped time by even a decent amount, some valve(s) kissed piston(s) by the sounds of things.
....but STILL loves hot women with big boobies
....and STILL hates working on E-Series with 6.0L
Old 09-13-2014, 03:15 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)

Tags
06, 2000, 54, bolt, cam, camshaft, chain, cover, engine, ford, marks, separating, time, timing, tool