Nebraska Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 97nukeford

Anybody in to demo derbies,stock cars or figure eights

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 03:21 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anybody in to demo derbies,stock cars or figure eights

Hey guys i was just wondering if anybody is in to these sports. Around here demo derbies are just getting bigger every year. Lots off interest in those. So post up if your in to these or maybe are on a pit crew that helps others out. Do you like your sport how did you get in to it.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:43 AM
78_f800crewcab4x4
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts
i hope my trucks never end up in one, but cleaning up buick eyesores is fine by me!

Old 01-31-2008, 04:25 PM
cornfedp
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have helped clean up after one, never been in though.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:00 PM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 221 Likes on 180 Posts
If you guys know of any events of these coming up, make sure to post them in the "upcoming events" forum.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:58 PM
iwillflybyu
Senior User
YES!!! I love derbys and have been driving in them since 1999. Got into all of this starting as a hobby in high school, and then decided to go pretty much all out. I do pretty good, always make the A feature, always in top 5. 2 years ago I started racing hobby stocks in Donaphin, NE and also have ran at Red Cloud and Lexington as 9A. I will probably keep Lexington, Neb as my main track this year with my bran spankin new Malibu hobby stock since I work many Saturdays. This year I plan on being involved with the team derby in Holdrege, Neb. on June 15th 2008 that starts at 2pm running a Chrysler fury, my demo number is 9ER. I also have a pinto that I ran last year and accidentially went 3-0 with it and Im gonna try and finish it off sometime this year whenever I can. I may even be involved with a few mud drags with my Toyota 4 Runner, dont laugh...its big and orange...sorry, Chevy power in it (cheaper to fix than ford). If you see me running around dont be afraid to stop and say hi. Sorry if I dont respond to you guys I'm heading to CALI for a week and a half for "work."

Last edited by iwillflybyu; 01-31-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:36 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey that great. Glad you have done well. Make sure you post up when you are running. Then maybe we can meet up an say Hi. That would be neat. Hey Im up north an if you ever get up this way you should attend the antelope county fai demo derby. That thing is huge. I got to say its one off the biggest demo derbies anywhere. It starts at 6PM an ends at way past midnight. I think they had over seventy cars alone last year. If you dont run in it you got to see it. Its great. Its uaually the first off August. But will post up the date as it nears. Good Luck on your muddrags an demo derbies.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:41 PM
iwillflybyu
Senior User
We will see whats happening in Aug., I may have to check it out. Thanks, we will have a good time I am sure, a better time if I win though...i mean when I win. I would rather have tough competition and deserve a win over a cake walk anyday, always looking for a challenge....nothing comes easy

Old 02-01-2008, 01:20 AM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
hi again nebraska,
my mom used to take us kids to playland speedway in council bluffs, ia. watching those old cars run around that 1/5 mile asphault track. that was awesome, tiny lund believe it or not raced
there. before they closed the track in 77'. i started driving stock car at age 14 at playland, i drove a 56 ford #35x. at the time. the announcer at the time was none other than george murphy. i raced with guys like bob fick, bob kosiski, paul zdan, denny fox, dave chase, ron tilley, glen robey, carl gray, and others.the list goes on.
later on in years i raced bronco class at sunset speedway on 114th and state st. i went into the army in 81' as a mechanic i ets'd in aug of 85' i hooked up w/bob in 86'
i pitted for bob ficks car during the 86' to 88' seasons, at sunset,#55 and dennis seery was the driver. i think 88' was the last year for dennis and the car. i sat 89' season out, due to moving and my girlfreind at the time! i bought my first race car from bobby ward of carter lake, ia. he'd hit the wall at sunset in 87' in 89' i bought my car for $50.00 from bobby. i fixed it and went racing at i80 speedway in 1996 when the track opened. i raced in the pro-am class then. that was a disaster! i was slow! i had a junkyard motor no gears and a bad tranny. my first night i had more tire marks on my drivers door than epplys runway does. i remember bill blankenship#22 the mayor of carter lake,ia. hitting me, larry robinson #53, rubbing me.and a half a dozen other guys used me as a buffer in the turns.i think it was a 20 lap a-main race. bill and larry went by me so fast i could of sworn they sucked the number off of my car. nrp/i80 is a good sized track. it was 1/2mile track now i think its bigger, like 4/10s mile.and it's dirt! anyway, after all that! i had bill,larry, tony pavic,john austin, and about 5 others
in my pit stall after the races handing me a beer apologizing and they want or wish me to come back. and that they needed racers like me! and then rich bolano and a tech offical came and told me in front of 10 other drivers in the pro-am class, that i could finish the season if i wanted to! those good ol' boys asked me to stay, and they are going to create a class for guys that want to race and don't have alot of money! thats how the hobby stocks got started! at i80 speedway or nrp/i80 exit 420 greenwood,ne.

ford ranger
jack #54 i80 96-2000

Old 02-01-2008, 10:12 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Hey Jack. I used to love going to Sunset Speedway on Sunday nights! It sucks that they closed it down. The idiots that moved into the new neighborhood next to it complained about the noise. Duh! What the hell were they expecting! Anyway, I heard it was going to be turned into a golf course, but I think the track and the stands are still there.
I haven't been down to I-80 yet. I'm going to go this summer, my nephew races go-carts down there on friday nights.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:46 PM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
hi pat,
they did almost the samething with playland back in the 70's. they complained about the noise and the city of council bluffs condemmed it finally. before i left omaha i went back to take a look at and took some pictures of it. you know i don't think the kellys know what to do with it. to be honest with you.
craig took over i80 for awhile. renamed it nebraska raceway park,he had alot of problems with drivers and the car count in all classes started to drop. nobody likes the guy. i think he had it for maybe a year or 2. i know it wasn't very long.
rich got it back and renamed it nrp/i80 speedway i think. alot of guys were going to eagle raceway instead of i80. eagle raceway is at the same exit instead of turning right to i80 turn left and go 13 miles or till the road t's and eagle is right in front of you. eagle is a 1/3 mile dirt track. i have raced there in the friday night flyers class on friday nights.
then race in the hobby stock class at i80 on saturday nghts. i really didn't like eagle for the simple reason that the track is hard on cars.
anyway you said your nephew races go-carts at i80 or lil' sunset? now correct me if i'm wrong, that isn't the old greenwood speedway is it?
i still race out here and as a matter of fact i still have my old dodge hobby stock car,
that i raced at i80.
my i pick your brain? remember the guy that raced a purple cadillac at sunset?
how many country radio stations are still in omaha besides 103.7 fm the cat? WOWfm
is no more,94.1fm wow country! just curious!
i worked at werner enterprises on hwy50 and i80 as diesel tech. i worked in the truck shop, and sometimes at the trailers shop. i went to tech high school on 33rd and cuming street. i know omaha!

ford ranger
p.s. the reason why i wanted to join the nebraska chapter is i'm from omaha, i lived there for 42 years. worked and raced, fished in cunningham lake hwy 6,carter lake, ia. down by the airport.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:51 PM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Hey Jack..apply again. The mods may take you off the list, but I'll go ahead and approve you, and we'll see what happens. If they say nothing, then what they hey!! I remember that cadillac!!! Let's see, I'm not into country, but my wife is. I know she listens to 103.7. There used to be 93.3, but I think they changed formats. I think there might be one more, somewhere around 106.

I'll have to ask my brother in law, exactly where he races. I know it's down there somewhere. I couldn't get down last summer, so I'm going to try to go to a couple this year. I'd like to go see the big boys run down there also. I've been by Eagle, it's pretty much out in the middle of nowhere!

When did you graduate Jack? I graduated in 84 from Millard North.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:05 PM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
hi pat,
i graduated in1974 from tech high! i also drove stock car at playland speedway too.
kind of looks like i have 10 years on ya'!

ford ranger

Old 02-01-2008, 09:25 PM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
pat,
sorry i'm an old man to some, elder to others, but, i'm still racing . turning wrenchs,
making a living and that is what i have done, in my life time. i found someone that will
acually put up with me ! that's erin she puts up with alot! from me!

ford ranger

Old 02-01-2008, 10:50 PM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Well, your the same age as my oldest brother, and I don't consider him old JacK!

Old 02-02-2008, 02:29 AM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
i'm 46, this year i'll be 47 years of age coming this may!

ford ranger