Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Post, NEED help already! 1995 F150 Sputtering when warm

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 02:08 PM
DebosDave
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Post, NEED help already! 1995 F150 Sputtering when warm

Hello everyone!

This is my first post. I just purchased a 1995 F150 with 170,000 miles on it. The engine runs great and everything seems pretty tight. It has a 5.0 with a 5-speed manual trans. 4x4 extended cab with dual tanks.

I didn't notice the problem because I didn't drive it long enough when I bought it. In fact it wasn't until a few days later until I drove it long enough to discover the problem. I don't want to bring the truck back, even if that was an issue.

Ok, now the problem: When I drive the truck and it gets warm, periodically it will start to cut out like it is running out of fuel. If I am in gear, it will just jump around like I am just learning how to drive a clutch, then recover. It will run ok for a little while longer then do it again. If I am at idle, the truck just dies. When it just starts happening, the truck will restart right away, but after a while, when it gets a bit warmer, it will die and I have to let it sit a few more minutes before it will start up again. When it is cold, it runs great. When I tried to research the problem online, I came up with a couple possible solutions. 1. Ignition Control Module. 2. Fuel Pump. Changing the fuel tanks does not help the problem whatsoever, so unless I have two fuel pumps going intermittent at the exact same time, I kinda ruled out the fuel pump. I just replaced the Ignition Control Unit, and am having the exact same problem. It did seem like when I changed the ICM that it took longer for the problem to happen, but it still does the same thing.

Anyway, before I tear the bed off and replace both fuel pumps, I am hoping someone has a possible suggestion? I just can't imagine that it is both fuel pumps.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Dave

Old 02-04-2008, 02:14 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
read codes.

welcome to fte.

look at dist cap, wires, plugs, fuel pump regulator.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:29 PM
DebosDave
New User
Where is the fuel pump regulator located? How would I check it?

Thanks!

Dave

Old 02-04-2008, 02:36 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
start with codes.

actually start by getting a manual.

the fpr is near the firewall and is round and has a vacuum line attached to it.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Itch71
Senior User
The fuel pressure regulator is located on the rail....but as quicklook pointed out, check the codes first. Even if your CEL is off, you likely have stored codes that can narrow the problem down much quicker....takes 5 minutes

Itch

Old 02-04-2008, 02:41 PM
DebosDave
New User
OK, I will run a code check, and report back.

Thanks!

Dave

Old 02-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Itch71
Senior User
This link will help you out if you don't have a code reader....very simple. Tell us what codes you get and someone can help you interpret them

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13

Itch

Old 02-04-2008, 02:45 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
do you know how to do it?

Old 02-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Itch71
Senior User
Originally Posted by quicklook2
do you know how to do it?
Step ahead of ya this time!

Old 02-04-2008, 02:51 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
i was going to suggest to get a manual because they have the code list to interpret them after he reads them. hahaha

Last edited by quicklook2; 02-04-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Itch71
Senior User
Originally Posted by quicklook2
i was going to suggest to get a manual because they have the code list to interpret thm after he reads them. hahaha
Yup....manual's a must one way or the other, if you plan on doing any work yourself. The website has the codes listed, whereas the manual gives you further information as to their interpretation.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:58 PM
emiltech
Freshman User
check your tps...unplug the vaccum line off the egr valve and plug the line of coarse....just in case the egr is sticking open,,,lots of miles equals lots of carbon ...

Old 02-13-2008, 01:02 PM
DebosDave
New User
Update

I ran codes myself for the KOEO setting. I got the first set of codes: 53, 95, and 29. These codes did not repeat. I then got the codes 211 and 212. After getting these codes, I tried to get them again to verify. However, when I tried to run codes again, there were none. I then decided to go to Checker (Schucks, Kragen), and use their code reader. When I ran theirs, I didn't get any codes. I then tried a KOER test, and got a 583, which doesn't even show as a KOER code. The explaination on the code reader made the guy at the counter suggest a Throttle Position Sensor, and as I recalled, the TPS came up on other codes, so I went ahead and purchased one.

As a side note, while I was driving around the block to warm the truck up for the code reader, I didn't have the truck show the problem at all... must have known I was at the parts store.

After I put the TPS in, I drove the truck for a couple days without any sign of the problem, so I thought it was fixed. As soon as I let down my guard thinking it was cured, it started doing the same thing again .

At this point, it was suggested that I try to disconnect a condensor at the coil?
I will also give the EGR vacuum line a try.

I am still hopelessly lost, and am worried that the more I drive it, the chance for me to get stranded is getting higher. I bought a manual, and have tried to look at the codes that I pulled, but am not 100% confident of those codes.

It has been also suggested that I replace the PIP sensor, and maybe the coil, I am frustrated, and have the thought that I could just replace the entire distributor, plugs, wires, and coil. However, it is a very frustrating just replacing parts, and still having the problem... so far a fuel filter, Ignition Module, and now the TPS...

Any more help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Dave

Old 02-13-2008, 02:53 PM
stephenfaustin
New User
You migh want to try the fuel pump relay. I have a similar problem with my 95 but it only happens on one tank which should indicate a bad fuel pump. If it is happens on both tanks and both pumps check out it might be the pump relay. Just an idea.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:55 PM
DebosDave
New User
How do I test the Fuel Pump relay? I will try that also!

Thanks,

Dave

Quick Reply: First Post, NEED help already! 1995 F150 Sputtering when warm