Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey deen

Old 06-18-2001, 01:48 PM
minus
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey deen

I was wondering if you could run my proposed combo through desktop dyno.
d1ve block
d0ve heads standard valves
429 no overbore
comp 280 h cam
280 degrees .533 lift
long tube headers 3" exhaust 2 chamber flows
performer rpm intake
holley 750 vac sec #3310
msd 6 box
ford 9mm wires
stock advance and dist

i havnt bought the cam or torn down the engine yet (SOON) i just want a ballpark idea on hp and torque.

Old 06-18-2001, 06:06 PM
bigsnag
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey deen

I'm not at home yet so I can't run it on my Desktop Dyno for you, but I will ASAP. I'd figure that you'll be in the 350 to 360 hp range depending upon compression ratio. What is your CR? 10.5:1???

Old 06-18-2001, 08:55 PM
minus
Junior User
hey deen

11.0:1 anything else ya need?

Old 06-18-2001, 11:20 PM
bigsnag
Posting Guru
hey deen

Well, I ran it through my Desktop Dyno and I came up with 470 ft.lbs at 3500 RPM's and 376 hp at 4500 RPM's. Overall it is a good flat torque curve. It has 439+ ft.lbs. from 2000 to 4500. I'd say the redline would be around 5500-5700 RPM's. That is using actual flow data that I had done to a set of D0VE heads that I have. I also ran it with flow data on a set of mildly ported heads that I had done and your peak hp jumped to 421 at 5000 RPM's. That will show you what a port job will do. Now remember that these should not be used as absolute numbers, but they should be pretty dag-gone close, especially considering I used the actual flow numbers on the two sets of heads.

Old 06-19-2001, 06:07 AM
minus
Junior User
hey deen

you think thats a good street combo or could i go a bit hotter on the cam?

it will be in a 53 f-100 backed by a granny 1st box and a 9"

Old 06-19-2001, 06:49 AM
DeenHylton
Elder User
hey deen

Hey minus...sorry I didn't see your post until this morning...but it look like you got some great numbers from bigsnag.

You might be able to go to a bigger cam but I'd call "Comp Cams" and have them run your information on their computer to come up with a recomendation. Their 280H grind is a single pattern grind meaning the intake and exhaust are the exact same duration...Fords generally make more HP with a split duration...you'll want around 10 more degrees on the exhaust side. Your rear end gearing is important too, if your running 3:50's you probably have enough cam already...if your running 4:11's step it up another notch. Another reason for going with a tad more cam is to "blow some of the compression off", 11:1 is too much for the street on a daily basis. With more cam some of the compression will go out the exhaust valve during "over-lap" and effectivly reduce the compression allowing you to run premium without having to retard the engine too far (retarding = lost HP).

Deen Hylton
Ford F250 460 C-6, K&N, Headers, Dual Exh.,Comp. Cams,Shift Kit
Pioneer CD w/Bose Speakers.
Other Passion: Blown 77 Corvette (Sorry Guys/Gals)
How I can afford to Drive the above: 93 GEO Metro

Old 06-19-2001, 10:33 AM
minus
Junior User
hey deen

well called comp they said the 280 h sounds good but for a tad more cam i was thinking the 292h its 292 advertised and 244 at 50 with .560 lift can somone plug this in to desktop dyno for me with the above combo?
i was also thinking this would help bleed off some compression
-mike
p.s the only dual pattern they have is smaller in lift and duration than the 280

Old 06-19-2001, 10:50 AM
bigsnag
Posting Guru
hey deen

I'm not sure what crack smokin' employee you talked to at comp, but they have plenty of split duration cams larger than the 280 in both duration and lift. Check out the Xtreme Energy line.

Old 06-19-2001, 03:07 PM
minus
Junior User
hey deen

snag i saw them only 1 problem tho all the ones a saw were roller i need somthing like 295 intake 305 exh hydraulic non roller i have an early non roller block any ideas?

Old 06-19-2001, 04:52 PM
bigsnag
Posting Guru
hey deen

They have plenty of hydraulic cams that are larger than 280 AND are split duration. They have them listed under the marine section, but who cares? If it has the specs you want, why does it matter what it is listed under? As far as roller goes, you can get roller lifters for a Ford 460 for $150. They will fit in any block.

Old 06-20-2001, 06:45 AM
DeenHylton
Elder User
hey deen

Minus, it will cost you more money but you can have Comp Cams or any other cam mfg. grind you a pattern off of any other engine brand. You might find what you want lets say for a C*** or a Chrysler big block that meets your specs...have them grind that profile on a 460 cam blank.
The other option is if Comp Cams doesn't have it go to Isky, Crane, or Crower so you don't have to pay extra for a "special grind".
As far as using a marine cam...they will work...but the milder low to mid range cams are ground to REDUCE overlap so the engine doesn't pull water back into the exhaust valves and destroy the engine (a boats exhaust outlet is usually underwater). Once a boat builder gets beyond 400-450 HP they will generally install headers since a boats exhaust is very restrictive...this also eliminates the risk of drawing water back into the engine.

Deen Hylton
Ford F250 460 C-6, K&N, Headers, Dual Exh.,Comp. Cams,Shift Kit
Pioneer CD w/Bose Speakers.
Other Passion: Blown 77 Corvette (Sorry Guys/Gals)
How I can afford to Drive the above: 93 GEO Metro

Old 06-25-2001, 06:53 PM
BigTex
Senior User
hey deen

Hey guys, I am completely lost! Why in blue blazes would you intentionally build high compression and then bleed it off with excessive overlap? Wouldn't that be counter productive? Does this aid in scavenging? Why not go with a more streetable C/R and then use the max cam? Just wondering if I missed the boat here. Thanks

Old 06-26-2001, 01:44 AM
bigsnag
Posting Guru
hey deen

Bigger cams have more overlap. It's not about getting a cam with "only" more overlap, or excessive overlap. It's simply about getting a bigger cam which will have inherently more overlap. In fact if you tried to use a more streetable CR, like 9.5:1 and then used a large cam it would run like crap, especially at lower RPM's. I'm talking worse than it should. I know big cams don't run well at low R's, but try a big cam at low R's with a weak CR and it won't hardly work. It won't work nearly as well as it should in it's proper RPM range either. Larger cams can get away with and in fact NEED higher CR's.

Old 06-26-2001, 06:09 AM
minus
Junior User
hey deen

Sorry to ruin the party :<
well after getting ready to tear the motor down for a valve job because it popped out the exaust and oil fouled on one cylnder i noticed an extremely large vacume port and it was of all things uncapped. I capped it and the pop went away so now we replace all vacuum hoses. Lesson to be learned here vacum leaks can reek havoc. This haunted me since october! well the biaatch is back
indeed now i install my rpm intake along with the stuff thats all ready on there, headers ,6a , accell powerfilter ,fms 9mm wires .... and live with the power she makes now about 390 to 400. The the cam money will go twards rims tires and a posi wich to burn them off with

mike 'minus' easter
53 f-100 , 1970 429
3" exh with flows
4speed and a 9"
"how fast does it go" 'lets just say it moves'
"when in doubt goose it!"