1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

e4od

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 02:57 PM
coreylasalle
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e4od

another post, sry bout that, i figured if i put 2 non related questions in 1 post it might just get too off topic haha. so my tranny is funny, i cant say i like ot too much, but iv read a few posts about this and it just seems it is doin what they all do, but iv riddin in obs PS that shift perfect. when i drive it never wants to up shift, for example im drivin roun the city, lets say 35 and she'll just stay in gear but ill give it a lil extra throttle to raise the rpms a tad and then it will up shift and stay there. also at 40mph it always shifts out of od. i guess they all do this including the gas trucks. thats just a pain, when cruzin at 40 it will keep shifting in and out so a take od off, but with price of gas it'd be nice to have them rpms low. also, when i am headin up i hill, again at 30/35, it will start slowin down, ill give it a litle throttel it will upshift, which is not what i want, then i put her all the way down so it downshifts back to where it was, this just gets to be a pian. plus there is that hard shift with the whole tourque converter deal that i have seen mentioned a bit, then at 50 you put it back in od and it shifts fine.

after reading that book, what do you guys think?? if there is no problem is there a mod to help it, or if there is a problem, what to do. btw, b4 i bought the truck the dealer said the previous ownerclamed to have had the tranny rebuilt, but had no paper work to prove it. i figured i make sure i get this question off my mind before i buy i lift kit.

thanks in advance for all the help.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:11 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it sounds like your truck has 3.55 gears, your speed of 35-40 is normal, the truck is at its shift point. 35 shuold be torque converter lock-up and 40 is the od shift. mine wont shift to od until dead on 40 and it will hold 40 on decel until 35 at best with no load on the motor.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:40 AM
coreylasalle
Elder User

yeah, it has 355s, so, all that is normal then? is any fix, something such as "the Cure" is that any good?

Old 02-04-2008, 08:20 PM
coreylasalle
Elder User

-TransCommand®
"For those with Ford E4OD automatic transmissions: Banks' electronicTransCommand transforms E4OD automatics into super-duty units by continually corresponding line pressure to power and load levels. Instead of soft, car-like shift characteristics, TransCommand produces firmer shifts, especially when hauling large loads. The module senses the load and commands the transmission to raise the hydraulic pressure accordingly. Light-throttle shifts are smooth and firm, while full-throttle or heavy-load driving produces solid, decisive shifts. Excessive clutch slippage is eliminated, extending transmission life."

- this is on the banks site, it comes with one of the kits for our truck.
is this just a bunch of crap OR does it work and what similar products are there to improve our trannys OR should i leave my tranny as is and let er be.

thanks

Old 02-04-2008, 08:49 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Cure does work! The transcommand is a waste of money. A shift kit will be better than the any Banks garbage! BTW The Cure and the Transcommand do two totally different things

From the sounds of it I think your shifting sounds like it on.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:31 AM
MADVAN
Postmaster
You will net better MPG if you were to cancle the OD at those speeds. Allowing the TC to haunt and lug the motor is bad for MPG and the TC.

You can stack all 3 to a trans if you wanted.
They all do different things, that help the trans.

Tanscommand changes EPC (raise line)
Cure changes shift/apply durations.(No other product like it, It allows better blending to VB shiftpoints with TC and CC.)
A chip can can change shiftpoints.(when it shifts)

EPC system by design was to make the trans more car like soft. This comes at a cost of slippage and heat.

Anyone that runs a flip chip (tow,eco, ect) will notice that the shift feel is inconsistent. This is all do to the EPC system.

If looking to go to the next step in a longer living trans i opt for this also.
http://www.eseliminator.com/index.html

Bill

Old 02-05-2008, 09:02 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Bill have you used that kit? Looks like a sonnax kit with pump mod and EPC eliminator? Not a bad price at $95. Perhaps It would be advisable to check line pressures for some of us!

Old 02-05-2008, 09:31 AM
MADVAN
Postmaster
The ESE gets rid of the whole EPC from being PCM controlled.
It makes the line pressure relate to pump RPM.
Lower presure with lower RPM. Higher pressure with higher RPM.
It gives it a smooth rise in pressure. Well worth the about 120.00.
You have to go into the trans for the install. VB and Pump mods required.
The lower rpm line pressure is higher than OEM line pressure. It gives more apply to the clutches and lube ckts.

Many (even the trans builders) dont know about the ESE.

I now use ESE and The Cure.
Its now the Rolex of transmissions.

Bill

Last edited by MADVAN; 02-05-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:45 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Bill did you do the whole kit or did you leave out the pump mod? Also did it firm up your shifts nicely? Did you go from one shift kit to this or just from stock to this? Also what do you think would happen in my case where I have no idea what has been done to my tranny then put this in?